Airtime-Import Watch Directory
  • Hi

I configured up a watch directory using airtime-import and after I set up the watch directory, I started filling it up. Many hundred files later, 
    and nothing happened!

I waited and checked config files. I restarted the service and I restarted the server, and re-initialised Airtime.

How can I invoke a scan of the watch folder? Is it done in real-time?

I had to end up running the airtime-import -c DIRNAME instead of relying on the watch folder which did nothing.

Am I missing something here?

Airtime version: 2.1beta
    Config check: All OK
    Post edited by Jobe Lawn at 2012-05-30 08:28:17
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    first of all check log files in /var/log/airtime/media-monitor folder
  • By tailing the log, I simply get this:
    2012-05-30 14:34:33,452 INFO - [recorder.py : run() : line 284] - heartbeat

I just tried copying an mp3 into the watchfolder, and nothing happens.
    The process should have the permission to read the file, since airtime-import -c filename can handle the files...
  • @Jobe,

Try looking at /var/log/airtime/media-monitor/media-monitor.log
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • "By tailing the log, I simply get this:"

Yes, I was looking in that logfile using tail ...
    Over night, I have noticed that it indeed populated the logfile, /var/log/airtime/media-monitor/media-monitor.log , with lines confirming that files had been added. My airtime-database now has a dupe of every file, since I already did a airtime-import -c on the watch-directory. I guess that was my bad. 

On my system, the watch folder functionality wasn't as real-time as I had thought. It took several hours for it to detect new files. Oh well. Not really a big issue. Maybe if I use the admin-web-interface and add the watch folder there, it will immedeately scan the directory. Haven't tried that yet

A suggestion:
    The wording in the tools and docs on Watch-folders "Will be Imported to Airtime" and "Imported to Airtime database" is ambiguous for a new user. It should read something like, "The files will be imported into the database, only the metadata and file location reference is imported, yet the files stay in the watch directory".     Maybe it is just me =)
    Post edited by Jobe Lawn at 2012-05-31 02:24:31
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    On Thu, May 31, 2012 at 2:21 AM, Jobe Lawn <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

>
    > But I guess on my system, the watch folder functionality wasn't as
    > real-time as I had hoped. It took several hours for it to detect new files.
    > Oh well. Not really a big issue.
    >

An initial import can take up to several hours, but once that is done, it
    should take a couple seconds for media monitor to detect new files and
    import them.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Jobe,

Thanks for your suggestion, I have added this clarification to the chapter "Manage media folders" of the forthcoming Airtime 2.1.0 manual.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Jobe Lawn said:

"By tailing the log, I simply get this:"

Yes, I was looking in that logfile using tail ...
    Over night, I have noticed that it indeed populated the logfile, /var/log/airtime/media-monitor/media-monitor.log , with lines confirming that files had been added. My airtime-database now has a dupe of every file, since I already did a airtime-import -c on the watch-directory. I guess that was my bad. 

On my system, the watch folder functionality wasn't as real-time as I had thought. It took several hours for it to detect new files. Oh well. Not really a big issue. Maybe if I use the admin-web-interface and add the watch folder there, it will immedeately scan the directory. Haven't tried that yet

A suggestion:
    The wording in the tools and docs on Watch-folders "Will be Imported to Airtime" and "Imported to Airtime database" is ambiguous for a new user. It should read something like, "The files will be imported into the database, only the metadata and file location reference is imported, yet the files stay in the watch directory".     Maybe it is just me =)

The file you quoted is from pypo.log, not from media-monitor.log.

So it appears that everything is uploading but taking some time? We will be improving upon the speed of media-monitor for the next release: http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-3743
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Hi all, just a little hijack about this issue:

Web watch folders interface gets stuck importing, but not console(airtime-import --watch-add DIR)...dunno why, just for your knowledge web-devs! Although console import gets reflected perfectly on web interface! :/
  • I've been messing with 2.1 RC2 (deb install) and frankly it's getting pretty close in terms of functionality

The previous versions (before 2.1) all had some serious issues issues relative to the importing and maintaining of play lists

Don't waste your time with versions pre 2.1 and just go for the rc2

The import times are relatively quick and we have been running it for the past few days without any real issues.

I'm sure I'll break it at some point, but as of now, it's been the best version yet!

Thanks to Martin et al for this awesome product
  • Yeah, sorry i was talking about 2.0.3 release, dunno 2.1 or above...I didnt know either that a newer version existed :/ although the problem in my release is covered with console command so I dont think on get superior version anyway :P at the moment is the best i've tried

• @acid, you think 2.0.3 was pretty good? try 2.1 :)