Setup Newscoup on EC2 (without a domain name)
  • Hi there,
    I am trying to setup Newscoup on a micro instance of the Amazon AMI (CentOS) in EC2.  I have all the dependencies resolved but the only step from the manual (http://en.flossmanuals.net/newscoop-4-journalists-en-4-0/manual-installation/) that I can't complete is the virtual hosts setup.  This is an evaluation setup so there is no associated domain name, and I will need to share it with my colleagues so local hosts settings wont be enough.  When I try to run setup without this step I just get a blank page at http://instance_name/install/.  PHP errors are turned on but the source for the page is empty.  Does any one have any ideas how to get around this problem please?  Or perhaps I am doing something else incorrectly?
    Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
    Daniel
    Post edited by Daniel Griffin at 2012-05-09 05:00:50
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Hi all,
    I've terminated the Amazon AMI and used an Ubuntu 12.04 LTS server instead so that I could go with the automatic installation.  Everything went smoothly, but again I don't have a domain name.  I selected the option for all hosts during installation but get this error when Apache launches "[warn] NameVirtualHost *:80 has no VirtualHosts".  Apparently that's not a problem, but the default page on my instance is empy except for the following message "The requested URL / was not found on this server." ... stuck again.... is this just an Apache config problem?  Can anyone confirm that I actually need a domain name before I can deploy Newscoup on a remote server?
    Thanks a million,
    Daniel
  • An update on this.  I got it working by reinstalling as a production system and using the FQDN of the Amazon instance as the host name.  Perhaps it will save someone else a headache.
    Thanks

• Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
    hi Daniel,
    you can also use ip address as host name. It works fine for apache environment.
  • I installed newscoop on AWS instance and when I point hte broweser to the public address of the instance I get a message that it workd. However how do I log in into admin? 
  • It did not work for me Daniel. Cant get to install page. 

I installed newscoop on AWS instance and when I point hte broweser to the public address of the instance I get a message that it workd. However how do I log in into admin? 

you should check before manual: http://en.flossmanuals.net/newscoop-4-journalists-en-4-0/manual-installation/
  • it worked! thank you
  • On a side-note: I have stayed away from EC2 because I couldn't understand their pricing system.

Could I ask you how much you pay for this instance you now have, running Newscoop? How much is the monthly or weekly cost. I just need a ballpark figure if it is hard to tell.
    Post edited by Jobe Lawn at 2012-05-30 06:22:34
    amazon micro instance is a good option for newscoop based site with up to 5K daily visits.
    It costs around 17 usd for month
  • phew.... That sure as heck beats Linode.
    I am switching to EC2 then =)