Live show management as scheduled for 2.2
  • Hello

With the live show management as scheduled for version 2.2 will this allow me to sit at any Internet enabled computer with a microphone and speak directly to the audience and play selected tracks?  Or will is allow only management of tracks?

Thank you

J
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • I'm interested in this functionality too!!!
    How can I do live show from airtime machine?
  • Hi,

"With the live show management as scheduled for version 2.2 will this
    allow me to sit at any Internet enabled computer with a microphone and
    speak directly to the audience and play selected tracks? "

In 2.1, you can do this with 3rd party software like Mixxx and connect to Airtime. This way you can do live broadcast.

"Or will is allow only management of tracks?"

In 2.1, we allow users to manipulate the show that is currently being played.

Thank you.
  • "In 2.1, you can do this with 3rd party software like Mixxx and connect to Airtime. This way you can do live broadcast.
    "

There is a guide for live stream management with this combination?
  • There will be a instruction in 2.1 documentation which will be available with 2.1 release.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    This is possible in 2.0.x releases using the stream handover feature of Icecast:

http://en.flossmanuals.net/airtime-en-2-0/stream-handover/

However in Airtime 2.1 there is a new implementation using Liquidsoap to hand over the stream, which will be a lot slicker to use.

Mixxx has a microphone input, but if you have a talk show where you don't need to beat match music, you might find IDJC suits your needs better:

http://idjc.sourceforge.net/tour_main.html
  • Good!
    But can I also have this functionality modifying ls_script.liq in airtime 2.0.X?
  • > But can I also have this functionality modifying ls_script.liq in airtime 2.0.X? 

If you are referring to the new implementation of using Liquidsoap to hand over the stream instead of Icecast, then you will need to upgrade to 2.1 for this feature.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Hello. Just found out about your system. Congrats. It sounds great!

"However in Airtime 2.1 there is a new implementation using Liquidsoap to
    hand over the stream, which will be a lot slicker to use."

Are there any specific notes about this?

Having worked a bit with icecast and liquidsoap i came up with some sort of issue when transitioning from scheduled playlist to live broadcasting (but not vice versa). Timing. Since english is not my mother tongue i will try to explain with an example.
    Lets say there is a scheduled playlist on a Saturday from 16:00 until 18:00 and afterwards (at 18:00 until 20:00) a live broadcast is coming up.
    So far i had been using an icecast server along with liquidsoap. Liquidsoap would decide when to switch from scheduled to live (according to a liquidsoap script of mine). Users or Broadcasters if you like use their own pc to broadcast (no need for a specific studio) and some streaming client, like mixxx or inernet dj console. Lliquidsoap requests credentials from them, in order for me to dedicate specific broadcasters to specific schedule - only one broadcaster can use the 18:00 - 20:00 schedule due to credentials). What is more, in case the broadcaster does not "show up" Liquidsoap decides to fall back to a new scheduled playlist.
    Back to the example. It's 17:59:59 and in the next second liquidsoap transitions from schedule to live. Since all this "system" is online there is some delay which can not be tracked (as far as i know - trying to mesure it, it is not always the same, sometimes it takes 10 sec sometimes 5 sec to listen to my broadcast). So the broadcaster is not quite sure when to start broadcasting. If too soon, liquidsoap will kick him/her out (remember, a scheduled playlist is already being broadcasted). If too late, liquidsoap will have already falled back to the "new" scheduled playlist (listeners will listen the transition from the 16:00-18:00 playlist, to the 18:00-20:00 "new" playlist, to the 18:00-20:00 live broadcast (which has been late for a couple of seconds). Not quite good, is it?
    What came up as an idea is this: what if airtime could mix (with the help of liquidsoap) a scheduled playlist with a live broadcast where a broadcaster uses the streaming client (mixxx/idjc) only to talk? Then the timing would not be such a problem. Airtime is using its own schedule, and broadcasters are able to know when their show has started. This way only voice is being delayed. But knowing that the show has started (the clock at the web interface of airtime shows this), the voice being late for a couple of seconds is not a big problem (at least for me :) )
    Sorry for the big one, but i guess you need such input from users, don't you?
    By the way, when do you think version 2.1 will be out?
    Thank you in advance, Nikos!

• Hi Nikos,

In Airtime 2.1 you will an indication when one of your users/broadcasters is connected. When this happens you simply need to "flip" the switch in the Airtime dashboard to change from scheduled content to your user's live input.

You don't need to worry about Airtime kicking the user if he is being silent (the switches grant all the power).

We will be releasing an RC this week, it will be posted here in the forums.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro