Notes on Airtime 2.1.0 beta 6
  • Things I like about beta 6
    1) Clean interface (headers, information, controls) in Playlist Builder
    2) Sound preview - jPlayer works perfectly!
    3) Color system for playlists and shows - very intuitive and helpful
    4) System->Playout history - all the output format choices work perfectly

Things I'm having trouble with
    1) Live shows - I can get a live show to run if I modify ls_script.liq, but I have yet to figure out how to use the web interface to create a show and plug it in seamlessly. For instance, I would like to make a show called "Live at Five"  and schedule a feed to interrupt whatever is playing at that time with the live show. To test it out, I use the Shoutcast plugin for WinAmp and mike myself. I  think I'm running afoul of the username/password fields in the System->Stream  settings. I have no mount point because it is Shoutcast. Oh well, I'm having fun playing with it and, for now, I can use the "default" setting in ls_script.liq  to cut over to the live show when it connects. I'm also looking at creating a  "harbor", but haven't gotten that to work correctly yet.
    2) Hardware Audio Output - when I enable this, my stream never connects and I hear nothing from the speakers connected to the server. This probably has to do with the ALSA setup, but I know the sound hardware works because I've can manually play music through it to the speakers.

• 7 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down StephenStephen

Wade,  can you share the liquid soap change you made to defualt to live stream?

I have gotten master input harbor to work talking direct to liquidsoap on another port 8069 utilizing butt,  the master icons go orange, and i can manually switch from standard pakyout to this and back.

No sure how to code liguis soap to auto cutover.

Im still working on getting freeswich audio working, since it is sending mono 24K.  some type errors appearing,  I found some info on LS forums about this and will be testing again today.

I'm also looking at adding dummy sound card in UBUNTU, and getting freeswitch to send PCM direct to liquidsoap, to eliminate the ICY protocol and delays associated with.

regards,

Stephen

• Reply to @Stephen:I borrowed some code from this post in Airtime Support.

Edit ls_script.liq and search for the two lines that start with 'default = ' - comment them out (put a '#' as the first character of the line) and add the line (below - choose the one that matches your requirements) directly under the commented out lines.

#use this line for icecast2 streams
    default = fallback(track_sensitive=false, [input.http("http://{your_ip}:8000/live"), default])

#this is what I use for my Shoutcast stream
    default = fallback(track_sensitive=false, [input.http("http://192.168.1.3:8000"), default])

Note: the IP address (192.168.1.3) is my computer on an internal network. I use the WinAmp plugin and a microphone to broadcast my live show. Today I'm trying out some software that lets me mix pre-recorded snippets with me talking through the show. I'm looking at using this method to add commentary, news, and jingles.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down dz0nydz0ny
    Just one one note about setting live shows. Some commercial  playout/mixing software doesn't support setting icecast username. So for proper working of this feature, you must have user "source" (with DJ role), which is hard-coded value for most of them. MIxxx on other hand supports specifying login detalis.

Another problem with Live show, is that it doesn't allow connecting prior scheduled time. For example if I schedule live show at 13:00, Mixxx will fail to publish before 13:00 but will succeed at 13:00:01 
  • Reply to @dz0ny:I have found the same problems your describe. I have had problems specifying a user name with some software - that capability does not exist. That reason, and because the live shows cannot be published when they truly go live (as you said, you have to wait until 13:00:01) I decided to modify the liquidsoap script. To be useful, a live show must go live when the feed connects. The other side of that is when the live show ends (or disconnects), the default behavior (scheduled show or random playout) should continue. It would not be good to have dead air until the end of the scheduled live feed if it ended early. Many times, the live feed will slightly exceed the scheduled time - this is normal behavior. I would not expect the live show to be cut off and the default behavior take precedence.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM, dz0ny
    wrote:

> Just one one note about setting live shows. Some commercial
    > playout/mixing software doesn't support setting icecast username. So for
    > proper working of this feature, you must have user "source" (with DJ role),
    > which is hard-coded value for most of them. MIxxx on other hand supports
    > specifying login detalis.

Could you please tell us the names of that software so we can test it?

> Another problem with Live show, is that it doesn't
    > allow connecting prior scheduled time. For example if I schedule live show
    > at 13:00, Mixxx will fail to publish before 13:00 but will succeed at
    > 13:00:01
    >

What about using the master source instead? You can connect at any time to
    the master source. Please let us know if this would solve your problem, or
    if not -
  • On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 4:58 AM, dz0ny 
    wrote: 

> Just one one note about setting live shows. Some commercial 
    > playout/mixing software doesn't support setting icecast username. So for 
    > proper working of this feature, you must have user "source" (with DJ role), 
    > which is hard-coded value for most of them. MIxxx on other hand supports 
    > specifying login detalis. 

Could you please tell us the names of that software so we can test it? 

The software I used that ran into that issue was SAM Broadcaster.
  • Reply to @dz0ny:

Some commercial  playout/mixing software doesn't support setting icecast username. So for proper working of this feature, you must have user "source" (with DJ role), which is hard-coded value for most of them. 

We've made this more clear in Airtime 2.1.1
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro