Newbie Needs Help
  • Hi All,

Please be patient here. I was asked in reply to a support email to bring these questions to this forum regarding Airtime.

I'm intending to launch an internet based radio broadcast very soon and need to automate the program. Here are my concerns/questions.

1. Is Airtime capable of scheduling a live show so that at a particular time it will launch a series of pre-recorded adverts and lead-in music? The broadcast format will be done in approximately 25 minutes segments from the top of an hour. At minute 24:30, I'll need a tone (duck quack) to announce to either me or one of my remotely located contributing broadcasters that the adverts will be launched in 30 secs. Then 5 minutes of adverts, lead-in music and then the broadcaster would begin the second segment of their program time. This process would then have to occur again as the time nears the hour before the second hour of the broadcast...And, so on.

2. Can Airtime or a product that you would recommend, record the
    broadcasts in their entirety so we can archive the entire format for future use?

3. I have one or two remote broadcasters who are not internet capable at the moment and would need to call in via phone (land line or cell) to a line I would set up to interface with the computer. I'm assuming here the once I set this up Airtime would recognize the phone interface as the "live" microphone and be capable of handling this input and then function as I need it to (as described in #1)?

4. Will Airtime function in concert with Skype?

I think that about covers my initial questions.

Thanks again for your patience with me here. I look forward to hearing from those of you who are experienced with this product.

Cheers...[/font]
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • Hi JayMan,

To answer your questions in a different order,

2)Airtime record live shows. Beside recording, we also collaborate with Soundcloud and Airtime can automatically upload your show to soundcloud to be shared with your listeners.

3)Yes. I'm not sure how you're setting it up, but if you connect the phone output to the mic input of the machine, it will work.

4)If you mean that you want people to broadcast using Skype, that's possible as well.
    You can either use apps like JACK to route Skype output to the input, or just use a physical cable to connect the machine audio output (where Skype is routed to) and connect it back to the mic input.

1) At this moment, this scenario will require you some researching and customizing.
    You can setup a live show that will end when the adverts begin and start a new one when the adverts end.
    About the tone, you'll have to trigger it yourself.
    A way to automate this entire process at this point will be to create 2 Airtime instances, one for live shows and the other one for adverts and tones, and use JACK to play by default the live show instance, and let the advert/tone one take over when it's not silent. This second solution was suggested/done by an Airtime user in this forum. You can look for his post and add follow up questions.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    a little addemdum :

for 1) : recording is only possible with airtime IF the sound card is on the same server than airtime...