Suggestion: Asterisk PBX call integration
  • Hello

Just started exploring Airtime for our new community radio station and thought it would be ideal to have it integrate with our Asterisk PBX.

Perhaps Airtime could act as the endpoint for a range of numbers (or call queue) whereby during a live stream (I understand this is planned in v2.3.0) the caller may be connected by the presenter to the live output together with the presenters microphone output, thus allowing an integrated Airtime switchboard.

The reverse would also be useful whereby the presenter could enter a telephone number to call and have a connect/disconnect from live output stream button - useful perhaps for when calling remote interviewees.

J
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Jakub GórnickiJakub Górnicki
    Hey Jason,

welcome to our forums! I forwarded your question to my colleagues and someone will get back to you soon!

In the meantime welcome to our community of Airtime users - could I ask you to drop few lines in this forum and introduce your radio station to other users ?http://forum.sourcefabric.org/index.php/f/16/

Cheers and welcome,
    Jakub
  • Hi Jason,

Great minds must think alike! We recently looked into the possibilities of not only integrating Airtime with Asterisk, but with other interesting projects for doing call-in management. Do you have any experience with Asterisk?

I also wanted to mention that Sourcefabric will be holding a "Mediathon" community event on Oct. 22-23 here in Prague. It'd be a good chance to meet developers and community members from not only Airtime, but also Liquidsoap, Soundcloud and Mozilla. And the budget airlines fly to Prague. Just sayin'...
    Douglas Arellanes
    Director of Innovation
    Sourcefabric, o.p.s.

Find a way or make one.
  • Hi

We recently set up a radio station on a large campsite for a two week period using Airtime for non-live playout between live shows. We had an asterisk pbx set up for phone ins alongside a hacked mobile phone plugged directly into the desk.

For all of our live content we used a program called idjc which handled everything from icecast streaming to jingles and seamless voip integration.

Perhaps full featured integration with idjc could be the way to go rather than reinventing the wheel with this, in much the same way as the recent integration with mixxx? This software package did everything we needed it to do, the only thing missing was integration with Airtime meaning we had to manually upload the recorded shows for rebroadcast scheduling and use an icecast fallback system to cut in over airtime which was a bit messy with the inevitable streaming lag. IDJC works through jack so it can be routed really well and has lots of endpoints available to integrate it into your studio setup.

Maybe some endpoints for cutting in to liquidsoap could work and working with the idjc developers to have a common interface? Iny the meantime, I would recommend this package for a streaming studio solution.

JD

www.catalystradio.org
  • Hello Douglas, hello Jim

I have experience in installing and configuring Asterisk PBXs for businesses and my colleague James has more experience in AGI and the software development side of Asterisk.

He is away at the moment but will convene and discuss with him upon his return.

Unfortunately Douglas I will be busy on the dates you mentioned - doing photo shoots with my Rotaract club for a Christmas calendar sponsored by and advertising local businesses. Something I also hope to get advertised on our radio station Very Happy

Is the event held around the same time each year, I will pencil it into my diary.

I will check out idjc thanks Jim.

Jason