Recording from mixed sources?
  • This may be more of a workflow question then a technical question ...

How does Airtime record both the input from a live DJ speaking into a microphone and canned music being played from an application? Is it automagic, or do we need to set something up?

We are not streaming from Airtime, only outputing to the sound card.
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Hi, you can use JACK for that
  • Will Airtime work on a system running JACK? I seem to recall seeing a thread here of someone having lot's of issues getting them to cooperate.

And if JACK, why not PulseAudio?

• You can't use Pulseaudio with Airtime if you're using your soundcard.

We're yet to offer official support for JACK, but I think some users here managed to implement it.

Which thread were you referring to?
  • Can't (use pulseaudio) because "1) pulseaudio is only running while you are logged in to your desktop, so sound would stop when you log out, and 2) while it is possible to run pulseaudio in "system-mode" (not tied to a specific user), this would result in any desktop sounds being played over your live radio broadcast."?

-Our plan is to have 1) the user always logged in to the desktop, and 2) turn off desktop sounds.

Or can't because it can not work?

Removing pulseaudio has broken microphone input on all the systems I've tested & it may be a solution to mixing live and canned sources & it comes built-in to Ubuntu. But if it can not work then I need another solution.

I'm hoping for relatively simple configurations as the community radio stations won't have a technical person on site to fix complicated custom setups.

The JACK thread I was referring to is here.

• Apart from using unsupported and non-standard things like JACK or PulseAudio, what is the norm? How are current users managing this workflow?
  • I will leave the users to share their experience, but I would say that mostly upload per-recorded content and use hardware mixer
  • A hardware mixer, what a novel idea! Shocked Goes to show how little I know about broadcast radio. But a bit of thought and a look at the current setup here gives me enough of an idea to go ahead without needing a complex Airtime setup. Thanks!

PS: Perhaps a separate forum for dumb user questions would be in order?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    On Mon, Aug 1, 2011 at 9:03 PM, Alan Pater <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> **
    > This may be more of a workflow question then a technical question ...
    >
    > How does Airtime record both the input from a live DJ speaking into a
    > microphone and canned music being played from an application? Is it
    > automagic, or do we need to set something up?
    >

Airtime records whatever is coming in from the line-in jack.