Work in progress
  • Dear Airtimers or Airtimees,

We are still building and testing airtime and updating the program every single new release, and we are really joyfull about the changes we see each time.

We really want to use Airtime fully in our production cycle but my Radio Station Manager keeps bugging me about a few points. So ill put em down in writing.

There two things that are stopping us to take te server from testing to production and the two things are the ones the radio operators keep bugging us about:

1 ) Its mentioned a few times before, but i dunno how mutch priority there is in it: Randomness. I seen it come by on the forums a view times , and there are some tickets about it as well. Planning a 24/7 playlist is now hardly doable. Would be great if the playlist could be shuffled or played random every time u use em. This is of highest priority to us

2) an easy way to view the playlists. atm our music list is so big that sorting it takes a long time. The only way to view em now is by searching for everything and sort it by type.

I know ofc course youre working hard to improve the project and it shows with every update. These are our things we run into when using the program on a dailey basis ( although where not live, the radiomakers are already making shows and are trained to use airtime ).

I hope the two features ( especially randomness ) can be implemented in the near future. I keep a keen eye out for it

Cheers
    RadioA6

• 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Ofir GalOfir Gal
    Thank you for the input.
    we are taking all those req. in mind with each release.

Hopefully we'll be able to implement those features in the near future.

Can you please better define the playlist search problem?
    Is it the searching speed, or the fact that you get unwanted search results (songs) ?
  • We know you guys are really working hard on Airtime and it shows. I was just wondering if the randomness was given the priority it deserves. Im sure where not the only ones running into it.

For te playlist we would opt for a extra page view or tab, that only shows the playlist and not both music and playlist. Whish i had some time to get into the code myself, but working to hard atm to get things running ( which is a full time job atm )

Cheers
    RadioA6
  • radioa6 писал(а) Сб., 11 Июнь 2011 06:55
    we would opt for a extra page view or tab, that only shows the playlist and not both music and playlist

"+1" here! Suggestion: 'saved searches' tabs, or 'tags' for songs to allow for quick retrieval of the lists later.

Another question: is there any sort of API to build external apps to control Airtime schedule not only via web interface, but, say, from iPhone, from a 'field', via slow connection - caching media lists, using smart protocols to update only the part that was changed, etc.? Build custom extensions, smart playists for instance?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    hi everybody,

these are good ideas. and the kind of input we need from people using Airtime in production, testing it or simply playing around with Airtime.

in order to put these ideas into our timeline, the first step would be to file them here as "improvements".

http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC

don't shy away from being detailed in what you would like to see. and attach wireframes or screenshots if you have any.

you need to be logged in to post improvements and bugs.

all the best, micz
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    Hi RadioA6 -
    Thanks for the suggestion. A sure way to have your features prioritized is
    to pay for their development. We give highest priority to those features
    that are being paid for or those features which will generate revenue for
    us. If you would like, we can create an estimate for you for that feature.
    Feel free to email me off list about that: paul.baranowski@sourcefabric.org

Paul Baranowski
    CTO, Sourcefabric, http://sourcefabric.org

+1 (416) 832-6436 (Cell)
    720 Bathurst St. / Suite 203 / Toronto / ON / M5S 2R4 / Canada

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:55 PM, radioa6 <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> We know you guys are really working hard on Airtime and it shows. I was
    > just wondering if the randomness was given the priority it deserves. Im sure
    > where not the only ones running into it.
    >
    > For te playlist we would opt for a extra page view or tab, that only shows
    > the playlist and not both music and playlist. Whish i had some time to get
    > into the code myself, but working to hard atm to get things running ( which
    > is a full time job atm )
    >
    > Cheers
    > RadioA6
    >

• Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    Yes, there will be a REST API for Airtime eventually.

Paul Baranowski
    CTO, Sourcefabric, http://sourcefabric.org

+1 (416) 832-6436 (Cell)
    720 Bathurst St. / Suite 203 / Toronto / ON / M5S 2R4 / Canada

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 3:16 AM, Sergei S. <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> radioa6 писал(а) Сб., 11 Июнь 2011 06:55
    >
    > we would opt for a extra page view or tab, that only shows the playlist and
    > not both music and playlist
    >
    >
    >
    > "+1" here! Suggestion: 'saved searches' tabs, or 'tags' for songs to allow
    > for quick retrieval of the lists later.
    >
    > Another question: is there any sort of *API* to build external apps to
    > control Airtime schedule not only via web interface, but, say, from iPhone,
    > from a 'field', via slow connection - caching media lists, using smart
    > protocols to update only the part that was changed, etc.? Build custom
    > extensions, smart playists for instance?
    >

• Another possibility that we could look into is whether we could crowdfund features. So rather than relying on individuals to pay for an entire feature, evangelistic feature-requesters could look into a Kickstarter-esque model of getting lots of people to donate a small amount.

I'd be happy to promote such initiatives through Sourcefabric's networks and even set up the project page, were there enough people on the boards to warrant it.

The kind of site I'm talking about is something like http://fundry.com/project

Seem feasible?
  • We would gladly pay for a feature, Ill even would help develop one myself if i had the time for it. Atm where relying on gifts and contributions ourselves to start up the station. I would gladly do something back for the community to help you guys out. When where out of the starting cost i would gladly pay a contribution to help develop and improve the program ( which i as well the community and the developers that go with it hold dearly ).

The cloud funding might be an idea. blender3d did it and made about 100.000 to get there intellectual rights back.

Cheers
    Jeroen (RadioA6)