Installation on Fedora Core
  • Vote Up0Vote Down b166erb166er
    Hi all,

Great software, I've only just started testing it, but the functionality so far is really good!

I'm helping a small community radio station, DunoonCommunityRadio.org, improve their current setup (iTunes basically...and a mixer desk etc).

I've decided on Vortexbox.org, as a method for all the various DJ's and the station manager, to rip their collections to a central storage resource (they currently bring in their own laptops and jack in to the mixer). The reason for choosing Vortexbox, is because it features auto-ripping and tagging. I also considered joining together various programs like, cdparanoia, ripit, musicbrainz python script and a bash script to poll for when a CD was inserted, but thought that might be too much effort (maybe not).

Anyhow, Vortexbox is built on Fedora Core 14. I did try getting Airtime to install on this distribution, but fell at the first hurdle. I couldn't get daemontools working, or ecasound. I gave up at this point.

Does anyone have any experience getting Airtime installed on Fedora?
    There is 'apt' for Fedora, but it doesn't seem to have been updated in long while. Does anyone know if that would work?

To sum up, I'd like the following functionality on one box:
    auto rip and tag cd's
    airtime
    streaming to an icecast server (implemented)
    broadcasting from a radio antenna (implemented)

Thanks to all for any contributions Smile
  • 8 Comments sorted by
    Hey Andrea,

I did try that and it seemed OK. Running that grep mentioned on that page, didn't return what the author said it should, though?
    I wasn't sure whether daemontools-run was a seperate package too.
    There's a package called runit on the same page, but when I check daemontools dependencies from synaptics on my lucid install, it says runit conflicts with daemontools-run.

I got to wondering whether some dependencies were missing. Because it is a core install, there was no compiler installed. I had to install gcc to build it. Does daemontools require anything else? Libc6?

There doesn't seem to be a whole load of documentation for daemontools!

Could you advise me as to other dependencies I might need for all the Airtime prerequesites?

Cheers
  • I think that you need to have a grep output like the guide because it checks if svscan is running or not (I tested it on my debian machine). Did you try those script for svscan? (same page)

http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Daemontools#Cr eating_Daemontools_Run_Scripts
    http://directory.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Howto:Daemontools#Cr eating_Daemontools_Run_Scripts_2

Try to start daemontools with those scripts (first try to reboot the machine). I've not so much experiences with Fedora... In my opinion i think that would be better to run airtime and his webserver on a different machine, fedora is not so good for this purpose and you might have some problems (high load): running Apache, Airtime, Vortexbox, Cd-ripping, Postgres, Python Daemons ecc on the same machine requires a good hardware, expecially if your airtime installation will be used by very different peoples...

I had a crazy idea that maybe you will like Smile
    Follow me... 2 machine, 1 with Vortexbox (M1) for ripping, storage and auto-tag, 1 Debian machine(M2) for airtime, webserver, database, etc...

M1 shares it's storage directory in the LAN, this directory will be monitored by M2 with a cronjob script that will add you brand-new ripped files to airtime database (look for airtime-import command). In this way your dj can store their files on a safe place (M1) and automatically their productions will be ready to use a couple of minutes after Smile

However if you think that one Fedora machine is enough i will do my best to got it running on it, but i'm not so good with Fedora XD
    I really appreciate your efforts Andrea!

It's a crazy idea, but I think maybe you are right Very Happy, I can see 2 virtual machines as per your suggestions!

Now to decide on the best VM host, one that has good RAID support.

Can anyone suggest what might be the best solutions for virtual machines?

Thanks again, Andrea, I really appreciate it.
  • Virtual Machines? Confused Confused

Are you shure? In my previous post i mean 2 different machines, not 2 virtual machines (??high load problems??) please list the hardware that you decided to use for this project, just to have a better idea of you resurces

p.s. sorry for my bad english XD
    Bad english?? You're kidding, If only I could speak italian as well as you speak english!

I just looked at hardware:
    Intel Q57 MB
    Core i5 650
    16GB DDR3
    4x2TB WD
    Promise TX4650 RAID10

Airtime requirements are only 1Ghz CPU and 512MB RAM, even allowing for overhead, that should be more than enough, no?

Should be fine? Dunno where they might find €1000 though Sad

Maybe I can get away with less.

Ciao!
  • That's even too much for airtime! Laughing Laughing
  • Hi b166er,

Theoretically you do not need the daemons running. You could start liquidsoap, and pypo from the command-line manually instead of letting daemon-tools do this. You'd need to run the commands as the pypo user though. I can't provide much support for this, a better solution would be to support red hat natively Smile Please file a feature request on dev.sourcefabric.org

Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro