[airtime 1.8] no "On Air" when enabling soundcard play: possible solution
  • Hi,

After upgrading to 1.8, I lost all playback abilities. I'd tried several things, uninstalling / reinstalling and finally tracked it down to liquidsoap. I had forgotten back when 1.6 was out, there was a problem with the bundled liquidsoap on 32-bit systems and the suggested workaround was to check out a branch and build from source.

If you have a 32-bit system, this might be your problem. I've installed the liquidsoap build to /opt/liquidsoap and I've dropboxed it in case you'd like to give it a try:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/540179/WGOT-LP/liquidsoap.tar.bz2

Once you extract this archive, you'll find several subdirs (bin, lib, ...) but the only files that matter are in the bin subdir.

If you haven't installed airtime yet, rename / save the binaries in the python_apps/pypo/liquidsoap/ directory that was created when extracting the 1.8 archive and replace them with the ones in my bin. Then run the airtime_install script.

If you've already installed it, replace the files in /usr/lib/airtime/pypo/bin/liquidsoap/ instead.

Restart pypo / reboot and see if that helps. I can now play audio from the soundcard and also stream icecast.
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Ed,

The problem with Liquidsoap in 1.6 should have been fixed by now. I'm curious what cpu architecture/os version you are using?

Are you sure the problem was with Liquidsoap? Were there any error messages?
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Hi Martin,

I couldn't find any other errors. Here's what I noted:

From a fresh install with barely (if any) modifications, I could stream the scheduled programs no problem. If I then changed output_sound_device in liquidsoap.cfg and set it to true, neither would work and "On Air" would stay grayed-out.

Replacing the bundled liquidsoap with the build from ls_8214 fixed things for me.

Now, regarding the cpu info.. I have to admit I am now totally confused as I've looked at /proc/cpuinfo and it states:

Quote:
    processor : 0
    vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
    cpu family : 15
    model : 4
    model name : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
    stepping : 8
    cpu MHz : 1999.778
    cache size : 512 KB
    fdiv_bug : no
    hlt_bug : no
    f00f_bug : no
    coma_bug : no
    fpu : yes
    fpu_exception : yes
    cpuid level : 1
    wp : yes
    flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext lm 3dnowext 3dnow up
    bogomips : 3999.55
    clflush size : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes : 40 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: ts fid vid ttp

So it is in fact 64-bit. Perhaps I'm running in 32-bit emulation mode?

Want me to remove the ls_8214 files I put on dropbox for now?

Thanks and sorry about that. I don't know why I was thinking this was a 32-bit problem.
  • Type
    uname -a
    to see whether you have 32 or 64-bit Ubuntu. You have a 64-bit processor but this doesn't necessarily mean the installed Ubuntu is the 64 bit version (64-bit processors are backwards compatible).

Also you're running Ubuntu 10.04?
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Hi Martin,

I had tried uname but it doesn't say much too specific (although, I guess by not saying anything it might still imply 32-bit?):

Quote:
    Linux tower2 2.6.32-28-generic #55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 21:21:01 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

And yes, it is 10.04. From /etc/issue:

Quote:
    Ubuntu 10.04.2 LTS \n \l

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like for me to try.