Add/change staff accounts and passwords
  • Re: this option in user type permissions: 'User may add/change staff accounts and passwords.'

Is there a way i can allow a user to change their own password account details, but not that of others?

It's pretty good practice to allow users to manage their own account details (although not change their assigned type) - e.g. password, name, address, preferred email.
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • ...and 'User may change articles' - what does this mean?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Martin SaturkaMartin Saturka
    Is there a way i can allow a user to change their own password account
    details, but not that of others?

It's pretty good practice to allow users to manage their own account details
    (although not change their assigned type) - e.g. password, name, address,
    preferred email.
    I can see my login name (at the top right border) when I subscribe (and
    log-in) as an outer reader into a NewsCoop journal. After clicking that my
    name, I get a page where I can edit my name, etc., with a link for changing
    my password.

--
    Martin Saturka
    Software Engineer, Sourcefabric
    martin.saturka@sourcefabric.org
    www.sourcefabric.org

• As a staff user with restricted rights I see the option to Change
    Password under Actions, but nowhere to change my staff details. The name
    top right is not clickable for me...
  • This is a bit cryptic at the moment. Well, the change password and user details is kind of easy. Disable "User may add/change staff accounts and passwords" so that the user won't be able to touch someone else's accounts. And no specific permission is needed for any user to change its own password/details. Any user can do it by going to "Actions -> Change your own Password".

But, I just found a bug, if all other rights for the options in the Actions menu are disabled for the user, then the Actions menu is not displayed anymore and the user won't be able to change password and account details. I will file an issue for this.

As for article rights, you are asking about "User may change articles". That does not work as expected. Idea is to allow the user to edit articles, so let's say you want to disable creation of articles for a given user, you should uncheck "User may add articles", but at the same time you want that user to be able to edit existing articles, then you gotta check "User may change articles"... but it doesn't work, at least you also have enabled "User may publish articles" Smile

So yeah, that's confusing.

Currently we are working on re-factoring the users and permissions management in Newscoop, the approach will allow much more granularity and flexibility all over the system. That also means is the perfect time for getting feedback on the current implementation so that we can address every inconsistency.

Thanks a lot.
  • That's all crystal clear Holman. I'm stacking up loads of ideas for the refactoring of this - I'll gladly contribute to the blueprint when I'm back from Dakar.