ways to reduce latency of scheduled webstreams?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Hi there,
    which ways do you know to reduce the latency of scheduled webstreams.
    No matter if you have tips for icecast.xml (if I am the webstream-owner) or liquidsoap-hacks.
    I would be very happy about your thoughts!

We currently have a latency of about 20sec and I want to achieve a maximum of 14-15 seconds.

cheers n greetz!
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • 5 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Hi hoerich,

to reduce latency i'm doing a simple relay into the airtime icecast and call it directly (strangely this little hack reduce the latency)

and after it's a processor problem
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich

Albert FR said:

to reduce latency i'm doing a simple relay into the airtime icecast and call it directly (strangely this little hack reduce the latency)

this is what I do with internal streams. connect directly to icecast-server on airtime-machine.
    and airtime takes it from there. The server has a Low-Power-i/-CPU.

Modifying burst-on-connect or decreasing burst-size didn't change anything.
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    Really strange, the only thing who can be this latency in your case is for me, the processor.
     to be clear, the stream is cached by airtime and re-encoded, this process take time and is power and resource consumer...
  • I am looking for a solution on this too, i have two shows programmed one after another that feed from the same webstream, i'd like them both to play without any silence.

The only solution i found was to do the ls_script hack thing, which i do not like much as it sometimes gets mixed with the real content and it's not user friendly.

I didn't try the icecast solution suggested by Albert FR, althought that would work , i still do not like the idea of setting a relay for a couple of webstreams.
    Post edited by Bashatee Radio at 2014-04-11 07:16:33
  • The Icecast method is almost the only great solution now.
    There are tweaks with to the utils.liq,but this is uncertain and unstable.

My way is that I use a rasberry pi with raspbian, Icecast and MPD as a server.all djs and live connect to this and then pass it to airtime and you are done

Good Luck

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.