Lots of sound file 2.4/5 issues which probably have a common cause.
  • I do not want to sound ungrateful for the code - I really am grateful.
    The only way I can get airtime 2.4 working, as expected, is if ALL sources, including failover sources, are the same bitrate e.g. 128k and STEREO - and this seems to include webstream input from remote streamers. It doesn't seem to mind if its 44.1 or 48 sampling.
    Is this the case?
    Is this documented? I cannot find anything relevant in the Manual or Wiki or common cause in the forum (which is very hard to browse because its all in one lump).
    I can see various posts about these as seperate issues, but none seem to come to a definitive permanent solution.
    My audio files are typically 120mb and individually downloading/checking/converting/uploading 6 of each of these on daily show import is impractical.

What on earth am I doing wrong? Or is Airtime just not able to do this?
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-11-26 12:40:38
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • 23 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down NaomiNaomi
    Mono files not playing out was a bug in 2.4 that was fixed in 2.4.1

It might be better to try out Airtime 2.4.1, or even 2.5.0 RC to see if any of these problems go away for you. I'm not aware of a bitrate constraint, but perhaps there could be something left behind in 2.5.0
  • Thanks for that Naomi - will check that (2.41).
    I have seen posts that say the fallback bitrate must be the same as the output before/after the fallback. This appears to be the case - although not mentioned in any docs.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-10-21 12:30:37
  • Its 2.41. Mono seems to work in a playlist but not after a failover.
  • Been doing I think it might be variants of mp3 encoding..
    Is there some way of testing whether the encoding of a file to be imported is ok? They ALWAYS play in preview.
    I guess I will have to extend the import routines.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi John, all files scheduled for playout are checked for playability via a Liquidsoap test, as I recall.

The issue with the fallback file bitrate having to match the bitrate of the output stream is a feature of Icecast fallback mounts, which is not related to Liquidsoap or Airtime directly. I think it may be because the Icecast server itself does not have any resampling capability.

Cheers!

Daniel 
    When you say 'but not after a failover', do you mean after a remote Show Source has ended, and Airtime switches to scheduled playback of a mono file?
  • Yes - it does not seem to like that and continues the failover play

Hi
    John, all files scheduled for playout are checked for playability via a
    Liquidsoap test, as I recall. - See more at:
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/26891#Comment_26891
    Should it not jump up and say so? I never see any error.

But if i recode it in audiacity 128 44,100 - works every time

Hi
    John, all files scheduled for playout are checked for playability via a
    Liquidsoap test, as I recall. - See more at:
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/26891#Comment_26891
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-10-21 13:33:09
  • See above

• The link you posted returns me to here

• If the files ALWAYS play in preview.. but repeatedly do NOT in schedule ie via icecast - is the test valid and working?
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-10-21 13:38:25
  • Hmm If I re-encode the mp3s in Audiacity the start working..

Hi John, in that case we definitely need copies of your original MP3 files so we can see what is different about them, and confirm that they do work with 2.5.0-RC1. Please message me with download links.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Will do. I think this may explain a lot of odd posts in here - the ones answered with - well its working here ;)
  • No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I have a similar issue with some mp3 streams for webstream - I guess its a similar issue.
    I will try and isolate some examples.

I guess the codec used for preview is not the same as for public playout.

• This might be a clue - These files report this - so do some of the others that do not public-playout:
    Encoder             : FhG (ACM or producer pro)
    Lame Header         : No
  • Ones with this do not work either:
    Encoder             : FhG (fastenc or mp3enc)
    Lame Header         : No

Hi John, I have CMP032_Faerie_Days_and_Faerie_Knights.mp3 playing out fine to soundcard, Ogg and MP3 streams with stock Airtime 2.5.0-beta1. So I suspect it is your Liquidsoap script modifications which are the cause of the playout failures.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Mine plays on soundcard, and library preview (from web) but NOT scheduled playout through icecast. It fails over. Recode the same file with same bitrate and samplerate using LAME and it works. This is repeatable.

The Liquid Soap mod was copied directly from the official Airtime Document with no other changes. How else is one expected to do fallover? Is there something wrong with the above mod?

I can now predict accurately what codec flavour of mp3 files will not play on my server. This sounds like a codec support issue. It cant play the FhG flavoured mp3 so it fails over.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-10-22 11:07:01
  • Maybe I am some codec lib missing - or you have an extra one?

• Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Many Thanks. :) I will implement that. But I do not see how recoding all files with LAME fixes all my issues.
  • This problem has not gone away. None of the suggested solutions above work.

I just found a lot more mp3s that do not play through the schedule. Every one of these are encoded with FhG. They preview in Airtime plays ok. Scheduled playout looks ok in Airtime - progress bar, metadata etc. working, but gives silence.

Re-encoding it locally with LAME and uploading fixes it every time. This is a problem with many files of 50mb. Life is too short.

It is not a failover issue. Using the default unaltered airtime liquid soap script it still happens. Airtime playout works fine with other sorts of MP3.

Daniel says he can playout these files to soundcard? So can I, but I cannot playout these specific files through ICECAST

Before I hack the import code.. has anyone a simple fix suggestion?

Daniel: "Hi John, all files scheduled for playout are checked for playability via a
    Liquidsoap test, as I recall."

My main issue is... Previewing in Airtime is no guarantee that it will playout via ICECAST. I guess preview & soundcard uses a different codec to ICECAST.

Update - I just found lots of others in other forums with the same problem playing out FhG MP3s to ICECAST. It is not just me. I guess I need to dig even deeper.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2013-11-25 18:10:10