Features for Automatic Automation via RSS and Random files
  • Hello,
      I've been interested in Airtime (since it was Campcaster) and it looks like things are really coming along with the software. At the same time it seems to be lacking a few features that my LPFM has become reliant upon with our all volunteer staff and nobody to build playlist for each and every show and day.

Basically we have it set-up right now in a different automation system, a schedule that downloads shows from RSS and then automatically inserts a station ID and then plays the latest show followed by random PSAs to fill the remainder of the time. So basically all our show producers need to do is upload their show via a web interface and it will automatically play. It's running on OS X and using iTunes to download and build the play list so it's not really that reliable. I was hoping that this would be an easy thing to do with Airtime but it seems like there is currently no way to build playlists automatically with random selections at the moment.

I think it would be easy enough to set-up some kind of RSS downloader outside of Airtime and then tie the downloads to a Watched folder for automatic input but wouldn't it be cool if this feature could be built-in to the scheduler. I was looking at the source code and it appeared that a lot of stuff was written in PHP, my question other than seeing if this feature is already planned is basically how hard would this be to develop. Am I correct in thinking that Campcaster is doing a lot of the scheduling and playlist creation via php ? Or is that just the gui interface to the backend which is written in C or another language. I doubt I would have the time or skill to do any development on this but I am curious and using an open-source free software program is really the appeal for me in terms of why I'd want to try to make the switch to Airtime.

I figure I may submit a feature request on the development server but I thought I'd see what other people think.

• 1 Comment sorted by
  • I can see a valid use case for this. We currently download probably 30% of our programming via RSS as well.

We have an event that triggers every 15 minutes and scours the incoming RSS folder, if it finds a file, it determines what it is and then renames it appropriately and copies the files to the automation server.

Then the "host" adds it to the playlist if needed (Some events are picked up correctly and no intervention is needed).

There is talk of "random" playlists and one member has posted a work around in the Support forum.

As I type here I just found another odd issue... gotta run over and post that.