Airtime workflow
  • I have a radio station with many hosts that do mostly weekly shows, some bi-weekly. Everything is done live in studio right now as Airtime is not yet set up. I would like Airtime to give hosts the ability to schedule content for their shows when they can't make it into the studio, or to stream in.

What is the general workflow for setting this up?

My first instinct is to populate the calendar with all the shows, setting them to repeat weekly. Only problem is that you can't add content to or edit a show once the first instance has past (please confirm this is true). I'm generally confused by the repeat feature and more confused by the linking feature. With linking, the same playlist is repeated. Without linking, what exactly is being repeated?

Thanks,
    Nat
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Hey Nat,
    the problem not being able to change a recurring show with start in past, does not appear with v2.4.0. It works now!

The repeat-feature should not confuse you. It's just a weekly recurring show without any content. It just repeats the show-slot in the calendar!
    If you want to fill it with content (wheter playlist or smarblock) and want this content to be repeated weekly, you can use the linking-feature for this.

In your case:
    If your recurring shows are assigned to DJs, you don't need any linking-feature.
    If you would fill a DJ-assigned-show with content, the content would only be broadcasted, when the DJ doesn't connect or disconnects.

Howto:
    Setup the Input-Streams for Master- & Showsource in Airtime under Preferences => Streams.
    Choose mountpoint-names, passwords & ports (don't use 8000-8002 for incoming streams, could cause troubles), and activate "Auto-Switch On" & "Auto-Switch Off".

Setup different users under Preferences => Users => these users have to be DJs!
    Assign a show to a DJ: Edit Show => "Live Stream Input" check "Airtime Authentication" and under "Who" check the correct DJ. (You can change this x minutes before start of the show)

Setup an Icecast-Client at the DJ's location (like BUTT, edcast-reborn, m3w, etc.) to connect to Airtime.

Additionaly you could fill the show with content (maybe linked), to have a "fallback-music", if your DJ can't connect or disconnects.

Cheers!

1218 x 628 - 83K
    Post edited by hoerich at 2013-07-06 04:00:39
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Put in all your weekly , bi-weekly etc. as repeated link shows (contents) at appropriate times

Create other relevant shows at appropriate calendar times (or do a failover modification ls_script to play when nothing schedule)

Repeated link shows can be edited before it started let say you have a 10,o’clock show theoretically you can edit it up to 9:59:59 but I would say practically do it 15 minutes before.

Repeated link shows can also be edited after to place different and new contents for future instances

So here is My Hourly work- flow

Description                         Length            Calendar                       Type                                         Library        Example
    TOH- top of hour           -    5 minutes long - Repeated link shows - Time Station Promo,ID etc.          playlist     10:00 -10:05
    News,Weather,Sports    -    5 minutes long - {see below }               - News,Weather,Sports                  playlist     10:05 -10:10
    Content                        -    50 Minutes     - Repeated link shows     - Content (Music,talk etc)             SmartBlock   10:10 -11:00

Content includes a smart-blocks of music but for set up (calendar-> create show,-> enter information for live input stream etc.)
    This is so that you can use [Master] for Studio and [Show] for DJ/Remote Live (see @hoerich above )

You should have both Master and Show setup up under (System-> Stream)      (see @hoerich above )

This takes less than an hour to set up

Notes
    1.I make my content with additional smart-blocks of songs so that I can transition from music/live
    2.News weather an sport changes daily so for now I use the Record and rebroadcast

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-07-06 04:48:22
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Thanks for the quick responses! If editing repeated shows works now that solves my main concern and I can do what I wanted to do. I will give it a try.
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca