line in as a live source
  • Hi,
    I'm not sure its possible in 2.3.1, but there have been rumblings about it in 2.4 (or possibly pushed to 2.5). Will it be possible to have a line in from a sound card as one of the live sources and have airtime encode it and broadcast to an icecast2 server?
    Steve
  • 7 Comments sorted by
  • At first I thought a Line Input would be a good Suggestion but I am no longer a supporter of it.

Having use Linux over the last 6 years  and knowing audio is one of the most horrifying thing,I would not support this.

From OSS to Alsa to Pulse Audio to whats next

here is my setup  http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15584/here-is-my-setupwhat-is-your-setup-and-how-can-i-improve-mine.

tell us about yours and lets  see if we can use others way.

Please note I have installed Rivendell,Radio DJ and other and found my setup above to be the best applicable to my stuation

Mine work ideally for my studio to remote station
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    I am still a supporter of Multiple-Line-Inputs.

We do have a different setup and much more users.
    About 80 persons got the key to our studio and work unattended.
    We don't want the users being able to hijack Airtime via Mastersource.
    We don't want them to "Connect-a-stream-when-going-life".
    Any streaming-client/server or LAN-Device is one possible errorsource more in the workflow.

And almost any Radio Station i know expects at least one physical Live-Input when evaluating the Radio Automation Software Business.
    So IMHO it would be a big hit for Airtime supporting this.

I recently created a ticket for this
    http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5253
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/24876#Comment_24876

I try to explain our setup in your other discussion, Voisses Tech

and yes, this is pushed to (hopefully) 2.5
    greetz, hoerich
    Post edited by hoerich at 2013-06-22 12:32:18
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.

• Would this be better

Move your users to SHOW Source ,its second  and leave your Master  for you to be able to overide each person

set up a custom authentication along with a user authentication(this can be either from the known person or as a second custom user

set up schedules for the show times you expect them

My senario,last sunday my team was out the night before they just call and said program for the some music until the right dj awake and when he came on the listener did not even know.

The person can tap in anytime and remeber you can just click the master to disconnect/connect

I have Used Mytv all this time and mythroku for television in my home. all this time.

Last year Mythbuntu finally settle to use ALSA. I can bet the headache the developers will have as they move to deal with Audio for multiple inputs

I used Rivendell,I get finally fed up after trying with 2496 cards and delta 1010
    I wish The developers luck on linux side

you could also use fail over mounts  to overide any one if you use shoutcast

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-06-22 13:32:02
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”

Move your users to SHOW Source ,its second  and leave your Master  for you to be able to overide each person

set up a custom authentication along with a user authentication(this can be either from the known person or as a second custom user

I do so right now, but we use a Hardware-Ogg-Streamer in our Studio to stream to Airtime.
    But I don't want any user to connect/disconnect manually! This has to work with no user input, since a lot of these users are really tech-dumb. And currently this Ogg-Streamer doesnt support automatic reconnect every x seconds. So I relay this stream to an Icecast-Server.

But the main-topic for me is to get rid of this damn streaming-base for any input.
    I have had a massive conversation with Daniel on this topic the last weeks.
    We run a terrestrial station and I am a little audiophil and I don't like the fact of 320kbps-encoding-decoding-reencoding.
    24bit-48kHz - these are values I'd like to see ;-)

Honestly I just jumped on Airtime because I thought this already worked with one input (the record-rebroadcast-feature wrongly implicates this)
    And at least I did have the feeling Line-In is on Roadmap and heavily demanded, because it would lift Airtime out of the Webradio-Automation-Corner.
    So the current situation for me is just a workaround till implemented. And open for discussions and changes ;-)

cheers

• would this be better

turn  off auto on and off

My senario,last sunday my team was out the night before they just call and said program for the some music until the right dj awake and when he came on the listener did not even know.

The person can tap in anytime and remeber you can just click the master to disconnect/connect

I have Used Mytv all this time and mythroku for television in my home. all this time.

Last year Mythbuntu finally settle to use ALSA. I can bet the headache the developers will have as they move to deal with Audio for multiple inputs

I used Rivendell,I get finally fed up after trying with 2496 cards and delta 1010

while programs like Mixxx supports much input source the streaming is done straight to icecast/shoutcast.

I wonder how this would incorporate liquidsoap and would that be necessary

Remember Airtime was developed to be place in remote centers such as data centers.

I would hate to see us trying to find solutions for sound card problems

ALSA isMajor Problem

I did have a talk with Daniel James about Multiple-Line-Inputs.
    He said that this would be feasible with liquidsoap.

And you're right, Airtime's roots are RemoteCenterRadios.
    But I think Airtime would be far more powerful and would have more users and pro-accounters if it would be enhanced in this way.

I don't have much experience with ALSA.
    But after getting a look at another Radiostation using Rivendell & gstreamer with ALSA & JACK for years.
    And although I know setting up some Soundcards for ALSA or JACK can be tricky as hell, I don't fear this topic. If you got your Soundcard working properly, you should be able to use it with Airtime.

I'm hoping for a similar solution described in the ticket.

I'm going to evaluat your suggestions.
  • Easily

So as not to have any disruption to other djs already on the list (of 80 something)

Just wait until you have a schedule play (best if you have off line Ls_script)

1. you could break schedules in  calendar [12 hour day 12 hour night repeat with no end] [Sunday to Saturday] .I break Mine in 1 hour shows
    2. Create a newdj in Users with Username mystationdj  password passmystation   [ replace with your own this is the authenticated user].This must be a dj not admin etc.
    3. Set up [Create] two shows one for example called day,the other called night
    4. In the when button put [12 hour day 12 hour night repeat with no end] [Sunday to Saturday]
    5. In Line Input tick Airtime Authentication and also tick Custom Authentication
    6. Make the Custom Usernamer  source Custom Password something I give djs [use source because you want clients without username others to log in similar to Master configuration before]
    7. In Who Tick your newdj (mystationdj) unless they wont be able to authenticated
    8. Save and you are ready to go Now you have two types of Dj that can be authenticated at SHOW and all your previous Masters
    9. If you want a particular Dj or one off show at a particular Time you  can later go back and edit that show in your calendar
    10. You can Modify your Stream auto on and off  to suit your needs.I leave mine on,but for better control you could turn it off so that whenever anyone want to go live you just click the SHOW button and Change your Master password to whatever you want .
    11. Now you can decide when anyone get control of airtime playout.

Rivendell run best on a 64bit Machine,Likewise Jack for latency and Realtime. Unless the load will crash Jack often.

I have had to run Rivendell as just for Playout only on 32bit machine. and will be using it again for master desk at the main station

I still subscribe that Linux should be able to run on the lowest level equipment to reach a massive population

I never knew the love of My netbook until I put Linux on it (They were so crappy with XP and Windows 7 starter editions)

Now I put MiXXX [1.11 is so sweet] on my netbook and all people ask me "What is that software?"

I puts These steps for anyone want a good Fail over  and Transitions from Live

I also would encourage anyone to  use the calendar schedules,You can just put shows (day and night). it takes 1 -2 minutes

You really can be versatile with what you want airtime to do with schedules.

I think Jingles Sweepers,News  and other Schedule playouts should be prioritize

Proper silence detection with fail over, DMFT  and Fail-over are equally as important along will normalization on media ingestion

The way my setup is as describe here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15584/here-is-my-setupwhat-is-your-setup-and-how-can-i-improve-mine give you multiple input /output.

Look also at Idjc they do multiple Inputs through Jack.Maybe this could be adopted for Airtime.

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-06-23 11:13:13