Understanding how to use master source?
  • Hi.

Im having problems understanding how to use the source functionality. I've read the docs, but I dont get how to set what up where. 

First Q:  As far as I can understand, the three Streams I can set up, is for output ONLY. Is that correct?

Second Q: I have up to three different DJs that should be able to connect. Should I set up a Shoutcast server/channel (depending on shoutcast version) per DJ? They should not be able to connect at the same time - thats why I would set up a SC (shoutcast) server per DJ.

Third Q: The Master Source - I cant seem to figure out what it does, exactly. Does it connect to a certain (shoutcast) server (its a SOURCE, right?) ?

Im a wee bit confuzzled :-) Firewalls, different SC servers - I got that part totally covered. Just need to figure out how and where to set it up :)
  • 15 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    First A : you have three by default, but you can add more if you want
    (not really easy for the moment to do that, in postgresql, On cc_pref table, look for 'num_of_streams' and change the value.)

Second A : nope, every DJ have the same password, but if you want to open acces to them you need to use Show Source Stream. they can only use it one during a scheduled show

Third A : LiquidSoap is the destination "shoutcast"/"icecast" server
  • Hi again. Thanks for the quick answer, however - I think i didnt express myself clear enough :)

Concerning the three streams - they are output only, correct?

I'd like to use the "show source" - but what would I send to the DJs?  the Airtime IP address/hostname - and what port? master source port? or show source mount?  it confuses me.

Concerning the liquidsoap thing - so Airtime offers a shoutcast/icecast compatible server...on port 8000 (default) ?  is the one of the master source or show source mounts?

I just cant seem to figure out what to connect to where :)
    correct for the three streams :-)

for show source you must use the ""

and, not you must use another port

8000 in your case, is the output port stream, you must choose another one.The allowed range is between 1024 and 49151.
  • So I send my DJs the information in source port, source mount and source connection url...right? and then they use the username & password as defined under Users (for DJ-type users). Is that right? :D

Regarding the builtin Liquidsoap server - would I then point my listeners to that one? (ip:port) for now, I've used an output stream to an external shoutcast server - but im guessing its not neccessary, as its built in?
    yep

an example of things to send :

you radio is at this adress : radio.radio.com
    show source port : 8080
    username : your name or "source" if empty
    password : your password
    mount point : playlist.pls
    and do the difference between input stream and output stream ;-)
  • Username is then taken from airtime DJ Users, right? (when using "show source" ?)

OK - i've tried to follow your instructions (thank you so much, so far!) :)

This is my configuration right now.

master username: jj
    master password: 1234
    master source port: 8002
    master source mount: playlist.pls
    (master url is default - the hostname)

show source port: 8006
    show source mount: playlist.pls
    (source is is default - the hostname)

All ports are opened in firewall.

Right now, the three output streams are disabled.

Im testing with "Mixxx" - which i've set up like this:

Type: Icecast 2 (tried all three options - Icecast 1, 2 and Shoutcast)
    Host: the hostname of the Airtime server
    Mount: playlist.pls
    Login: jj
    Password: 1234
    Port 8006

While testing it - right now - Mixxx reports that it has connected to the Icecast 2 server - weee. I can see on the airtime server, that the Liquidsoap server is correctly listening on 8006.

I've set up a 10 hour show with the "jj" user as the dj. But "Show SOurce" remains inactive. Hmm?

Post edited by Jesper J at 2012-12-04 08:40:29
  • Odd...the "Show Source" suddently came on - the Listen button doesnt show any streams - is that normal?
    oops my bad
    I'm to tired ;)

the username and password for show source are the username and the password from yours DJ
    I don't know where I am today...
    username and password from stream menu are only used for Master Source

• Yes - I got that part rollin' now :-) thanks!

But: SHouldnt I be able to listen to my stream by inputting http://hostname:<show source port/mountpoint (eg. http://hostname:8006/playlist.pls) ?

The "Listen" button doesnt show any streams.
    nope, it's only an input source, but you can see if the connexion with airtime is available on the web interface.
    show source is highlighted
    something else
    depending of your configuration but try again why not mountpoint (if you using shoutcast, of course)
  • I eventually got it running according to your instructions! Thank you for your help :-) It has gotten better with the latest release, so I think im good for now :-) Thanks again.
  • There is now a screencast which clearly guides,and works the both the open source and the pro

Found here

http://www.sourcefabric.org/en/resources/screencasts/

Topic
    Broadcasting Live with Airtime Pro

Author:Josh McLain

How to broadcast live with Airtime. How to configure your Master and Show source.

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-02-27 19:03:46
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.