Watched Directory/Organized Directory malfunction with Mac OS X SMB client
  • First of all, thank you for making Airtime -- what a wonderful product!

I am in the process of doing a technical evaluation of the software for use in our new radio station at the Banff Centre.

I am running Airtime on a server running Ubuntu Lucid (10.04). 

The whole system works quite well for me except for one thing. I have configured a watched folder to be accessed via FTP and Samba so that DJs can do their own file organizing.

On Windows, both FTP and Samba work well.

On OS X, FTP works (predictably), just as it does on a PC.

However, on OS X, when connecting to the Samba share none of the watched directory triggers actually function correctly -- nothing is imported into the database.

The same problem exists for the 'organize' directory -- when connecting to the Samba share on OS X, the files don't magically disappear and get organized in the import directory automagically as they should.

Any ideas?
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Paul BaranowskiPaul Baranowski
    Hi Kenny -
    Before I get to your question, I first want to warn you that you have to be very cautious with using a networked drive with Airtime 2.0. If you boot up Airtime when the networked drive is missing(offline or not connected to the network), Airtime will think all the files have been deleted and will automatically delete them from the database and from your playlists (This issue is noted in the release notes: https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/XYN9).  In Airtime 2.1, now in development, this problem is fixed and networked drives will work just fine.

We have not tested the media monitor with Samba shares yet.  Media monitor uses iNotify, a linux kernel feature, to get notified of file events.  I'm happy to hear that it works correctly in some situations.  From what you describe, it sounds like the Samba client on OSX works differently than the ones on a PC.  If it is possible, you might want to try using a different Samba client on OSX and see if that works for you.  Regardless, we would like to hear about your experience and are open to working with you to troubleshoot any issues you have.