Would you use Playlist Builder as a live assist tool?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Here's a workaround for doing a live show locally using Airtime. Run the soundcard output from your desktop machine to your broadcast mixer. Create a playlist but don't schedule it for playout. Then use the play/pause preview buttons in the Playlist Builder to cue your files manually, one at a time, like you would with a CD player.

The main limitation of this workaround is that there's a little latency between the moment you press the play/pause button and the playout being heard. That latency may increase if the network connection to the server is not so good.

Perhaps we can improve the latency with some buffering tricks, like downloading the first ten seconds of the top item in the playlist from the server before the play button is clicked. Then resume the download as soon as it is clicked.

I'd like to hear what people think about this idea. Would it be useful at your station?
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • To answer the question - yes we would use it as a live assist tool. But probably not in the way you are suggesting.

What would be great is if there was an automated export of a playlist file (with UNC paths or something along those lines) which could then be imported into the live assist software which we use. That way presenters can build a playlist using the airtime UI - and a short amount of time before the live show is scheduled in airtime it would be appended to the playlist in the live assist software ready for when the presenter gets into the studio.

This would tie in nicely with my idea to use airtime as a studio switcher (basically switching the output to any one of a number of soundcard inputs based on the schedule, much like the rebroadcast of webstream feature coming).
  • I think this would be of no use to us as the latency is more than a little in the studio! Also we already have turntables and CDJ's for this. The feature we'd like to see most regarding live shows is the ability to add them (the soundcard input) to the stream!

thanks

James
  • I have to agree with James as currently there isn't enough visual feedback
    in the playlist editor to run live show from it. Perhaps a simple cartwall
    function with the ability to srub and fade might work better.

- Chris W

On 22 September 2011 18:09, James Dunn <
    airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org[/email]> wrote:

> **
    > I think this would be of no use to us as the latency is more than a
    > little in the studio! Also we already have turntables and CDJ's for this.
    > The feature we'd like to see most regarding live shows is the ability to add
    > them (the soundcard input) to the stream!
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > James