Cannot create Booktype instance1
  • I received a error while trying to create the Booktype instance:
    "createbooktype: error: unrecognized arguments: -p /var/www/booktype/instance"

This occurred in section 2 under Creating a Booktype Instance, I sudo'd up to the www-data user and cd into ....booktype/scripts/ (see attached screenshot) Whats the difference building prod server and dev server, I mean what advantage one over the other?

Do I need to run as regular user and not www-data?

I'm running python2.7
    am using:
    Distributor ID:    Ubuntu
    Description:    Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
    Release:    14.04
    Codename:    trusty
    Linux epub 4.2.0-27-generic #32~14.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 22 15:32:26 UTC 2016 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

I followed the below instructions

Creating a Booktype instance

1. Create a directory for the Booktype instances such as /var/www/booktype/ and make sure it is owned by the www-data user which runs the web server:

sudo mkdir /var/www/booktype/
    sudo chown www-data:www-data /var/www/booktype/

Distributions other than Debian or Ubuntu, including Red Hat
    Enterprise Linux and CentOS, may have the web server running under
    another username, such as httpd.

2. Switch to the www-data user and create the first Booktype instance with the dev profile and a postgresql database in the /var/www/booktype/instance1 directory:

sudo su -s /bin/sh www-data
    cd /usr/local/src/booktype/scripts/
    ./createbooktype -p dev --check-versions --database postgresql /var/www/booktype/instance1

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Milton, the difference between dev and prod profiles is that dev is more suitable for debugging, while prod should have better performance. Starting with the dev profile is not a bad idea.

As for the "-p dev" argument to the createbooktype script, that seems to have been deprecated. Please try running the command without it and let me know if that works for you. I have updated http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/booktype-23-for-authors-and-publishers/manual-installation-on-gnulinux/

Cheers!

Daniel
  • You da Man! The correct syntax was the issue. I am able to continue with the installation.

Thank you,
    Milton
  • Someone may want to consider reviewing the install guide.  It's significantly dated when you start looking at the config files and the profiles.