• So Jessie is just around the corner. Anyone out there been brave enough to attempt installing Airtime 2.5.x on it?
  • 41 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Not as yet, but we will when it becomes stable.
  • Hi, I'm running jessie, when I try to install, I'm getting: 

airtime : Depends: mp3gain but it is not installable. 

Looks like mp3gain is only available in squeeze, wheezy, and is ported in sid: https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=mp3gain

So you need to install mp3gain from wheezy. 

Aside from that, all appears to be running fine. I'll post again if that changes. 
    Post edited by Nolan Wagner at 2015-02-25 01:22:07
    Hi Nolan, this lack of mp3gain in newer distros is due to the bug https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=761847

I have filed issue https://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-6003 so we can investigate.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Daniel, following the discussion on that link, that dependency needs to be removed so people can install on Jessie, unless they plan on using mp3gain from wheezy as I've done.

Do you think they'll ship the new analyzer before the stable release of Jessie? If not, they would need to remove the dependency regardless.
  • 2015-01-26: Jessie installer RC1 released
    Hi Nolan,

I can't say for certain which will be released first, but either way we'll put something in place so that the next package works for Jessie.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Bumping this thread just to say it does work with Jessie.

Strangely I couldn't make it work with Debian 7 (even after 5 fresh installs, the airtime-easy-setup is nowhere near easy. Everytime I ran into a different problem. Such as liquidsoap not working, airtime not asking me for a password, corrupt database... Lastly, I gave up on Debian 7 and went for a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Though it took me a few installs, manual database fixing, a lot of dpkg-reconfigure and works, at last)

I don't know if it was my Jessie or my mp3 archive but I had to format it because airtime started prematurely skipping to next song and having noises on the way.

I formatted, did a complete mp3val and mp3gain check on my archive and reformatted (boy, that was a bloody war)

Maybe you should update the installation tutorial after trying it out yourself. Unfortunately the one that wiki redirects me is... Not a tutorial at all. (:

Hi, the Airtime install instructions have been tested on Debian 7 (wheezy) but any feedback is welcome. Please indicate the wiki link which sent you to the wrong place and we'll get it fixed.

Cheers!

Daniel

• Hi, the Airtime install instructions have been tested on Debian 7 (wheezy) but any feedback is welcome. Please indicate the wiki link which sent you to the wrong place and we'll get it fixed.

Cheers!

Daniel

OK...

I’m going to make you through an install just to Show the possible problems. I think your tutorial lacks some important hints.

So here I'll try installing it with your easy setup package.

For the server install, I went ahead and created a Debian 7 VPS just for this.

hostname=radio.example.com # This is here, just because...
    hostname $hostname
    sed -i 's/^127.0.0.1\tlocalhost/127.0.0.1\t'$hostname'\tlocalhost/' /etc/hosts
    apt-get update
    wget http://apt.sourcefabric.org/misc/airtime-easy-setup.deb
    dpkg -i airtime-easy-setup.deb
    apt-get -f install

Here you have to setup Icecast2 and configure, choose yes, enter your hostname for Icecast2 server. Specify passwords for Source, Relay and Admin

apt-get update 
    apt-get install airtime sudo

Let's check the system:

airtime-check-system

Ok, everything is green, so we know it's working. Airtime is installed as well.
    Weird but it didn't ask me for anything, including any passwords. So let's

airtime-easy-setup            # Just to confirm all is installed
    dpkg-reconfigure airtime

Choose yes, enter FQDN, install apache2 vhosts file, NOT configure Icecast2 since we already did that
    It finished, saying all is OK.

Wait... It still didn't ask me for a password! Ok, no problem… I'll go ahead and create a password manually.

sudo -u postgres psql airtime
    update cc_subjs set pass = md5('your_new_password') where login = 'admin';
    \q

Now, let’s check our installation by firing up your favourite browser and logging in.

Login, add a few media files. Create a playlist/smartblock, go to calendar, add a show. Add some content to your show. When your show starts on the scheduled time, click on listen button. If you hear the show, all is OK. Nice and easy.

Up till here we didn't do any configuration except the ones during installation. But after a closer inspection, I realized that /etc/icecast2/icecast.xml was reset. The passwords are now shown as "donthackme" instead of the ones I setup.

So I guess even though I modified it with airtime-easy-setup and chose NO during dpkg-reconfigure airtime, they are modified.

Now I have to change them again and update them manually from the "Streams" section in admin interface or I have to run dpkg-reconfigure airtime again and set them from that interface.

On the other hand, looking at the wiki I can summarize it to these commands:

sudo gdebi airtime-easy-setup.deb
    sudo airtime-easy-setup
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure airtime

Wait, what about all those other steps I had to go through?

airtime-easy-setup DID not install the dependencies. 
    Airtime DID NOT setup an admin password. Or didn't let me know if there's a default one.
    Icecast2 had it’s passwords RESET.

What I am trying to say is, for people who are not that familiar with these systems your Wiki tutorial is either outdated or confusing.  That's why I am suggesting to go through all the steps yourself and reevaluate the tutorial. Surely you can make it better. ;

Post edited by M. Omer Golgeli at 2015-04-18 16:51:47
  • Second Test, this is based on "Automated Installation"
    This is the easiest way I think. Better than the easy-setup

echo "deb http://apt.sourcefabric.org/ wheezy main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y --force-yes install sourcefabric-keyring
    apt-get update
    apt-get -y --force-yes install postgresql icecast2
    sed -i 's/^ENABLE=false/ENABLE=true/' /etc/default/icecast2
    service icecast2 start
    apt-get -y --force-yes install airtime

This time I was asked for an admin password. (yay!)
    And everything is installed just fine.
    Airtime is working as well. 
    I installed it twice, just to be sure
  • Yeah, that'll work for 2.5.1 but I think team sourcefabric has decidedly abandoned using apt for 2.5.2+
  • Next step will be trying the install from Github.
    Looks messy though, I'll try to scriptize it.

But yeah, amongst other things I have 2.5.1 as well. Maybe the repo is not up to date.
    Hi Roger, hi M,

The apt server has not been abandoned :-) Deb packages of Airtime 2.5.2 and 2.5.2.1 have been prepared in http://apt.sourcefabric.org/misc/ but various changes to the installer etc. since 2.5.1 mean that certain features no longer work, such as the automatic restart of services after installation and the soundcard output. I'm currently awaiting a fix from the upstream development team for these issues before releasing an official 2.5.2 deb package.

As for the easy setup, in the first example using dpkg -i will not install dependencies, and using apt-get -f install is not meant for this purpose (that -f force flag is really for fixing broken systems). Try using easy setup with a package manager that resolves dependencies, such as gdebi, and I hope you'll find it works much better.

Cheers!

Daniel 
  • Hi Daniel,

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      libcloog-ppl0 libmpc2 libppl9
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      gcr gdebi-core gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gksu gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring libcairo-perl libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-common libgcr-base-3-1 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgksu2-0 libglib-perl
      libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtk2-perl libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libpam-gnome-keyring libpango-perl libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common p11-kit p11-kit-modules sudo xauth
    Suggested packages:
      libfont-freetype-perl libgtk2-perl-doc
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      gcr gdebi gdebi-core gir1.2-atk-1.0 gir1.2-freedesktop gir1.2-gdkpixbuf-2.0 gir1.2-gtk-3.0 gir1.2-pango-1.0 gir1.2-vte-2.90 gksu gnome-icon-theme gnome-keyring libcairo-perl libgck-1-0 libgcr-3-common libgcr-base-3-1 libgcr-ui-3-1 libgksu2-0 libglib-perl
      libgnome-keyring-common libgnome-keyring0 libgtk2-perl libgtop2-7 libgtop2-common libpam-gnome-keyring libpango-perl libvte-2.90-9 libvte-2.90-common p11-kit p11-kit-modules sudo xauth
    0 upgraded, 32 newly installed, 0 to remove and 417 not upgraded.
    Need to get 16.8 MB/16.9 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 33.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n] 

Unfortunately gdebi, being part of gnome, is not so ideal on a headless server install. 
    Maybe with gdebi-core package that can be handled but... I never used that before. Thus dpkg -i came into play.

Hi, dpkg -i is only meant for installing local packages and does not do any dependency resolution. You are right that the GTK version of gdebi has too many dependencies for a server, gdebi-core is all you need on jessie. The command line executable is still called gdebi though:

$ gdebi
    Usage: gdebi [options] filename
    For a graphical version run gdebi-gtk

Options:
      --version             show program's version number and exit
      -h, --help            show this help message and exit
      -n, --non-interactive
                            Run non-interactive (dangerous!)
      -o APT_OPTS, --option=APT_OPTS
                            Set an APT configuration option
      -q, --quiet           Do not show progress information
      --apt-line            Simulate only and print a apt-get install compatible
                            line to stderr
      --root=ROOTDIR        Use alternative root dir
  • RC3! The suspense is real!  :-B
  • It's almost here!! https://identi.ca/debian
  • Will upgrading to Debian 8 mess up an existing 2.5.1 install on Debian 7.8? There have been so many issues lately with versions after 2.5.1 that I'm afraid to make any changes from what I know what works. The fact that Debian 8 uses systemd makes me wonder if upgrading our server will mess everything up. Any info on this?
  • It did run on Debian 8 a month ago. Now that it's stable I doubt anything will change.

If you upgrade there won't be MUCH problems.
    Though there are some.

For example not for Airtime but when I upgraded I had to change some stuff from my dnsmasq config to make it work.

But airtime worked with me.
  • Thanks, but what I'm asking is how Airtime 2.5.1 functions when running "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade the operating system to Jesse. Has anyone done this?
  • Thanks, but what I'm asking is how Airtime 2.5.1 functions when running "apt-get update && apt-get dist-upgrade" to upgrade the operating system to Jesse. Has anyone done this?

No, but in theory this SHOULD work. Since you already have the needed packages to run airtime (See my above comments for missing packages on jessie), this should work just fine. 

Backup everything beforehand, just in case, and let us know how it goes. 
  • Giving this a go once 2.5.2 hits the repos! 
  • We tried installing Airtime 2.5.2.1 on Jesse, and it was a complete disaster. No matter what we tried, the Liquidsoap service wouldn't start. The SSL certificate for web access also isn't installed for whatever reason, as it is with 2.5.1. I tried to start Liquidsoap with systemctl and the old `/etc/init.d/networking restart` way, and nothing worked. Maybe there's a way, but there's no documentation. The documentation should include multiple fallback ways to start the individual services that Airtime relies upon, as well as where the files are located. The uninstall script doesn't work properly, and leaves crap files scattered all over the hard drive. Once you install 2.5.2.1, plan to reinstall your operating system if you want to go back to 2.5.1.

I don't understand why 2.5.2.1 is available to download on the main page, as me and others have had nothing but problems with it. Another thing I'm disappointed in is that Sourcefabric chose a horrible and slow language which makes up Airtime, PHP. Ask any programmer, and most of them will agree that PHP is a horrible language. There are so many other faster and more efficient languages that could have been used. Airtime is laggy even on a fast server, and this is not acceptable in 2015. So, my advice is to completely stay away from 2.5.2.1. I've put hours and hours into trying to make this version work right, and no matter what I try, nothing works.

Let's look at the progress of the code quality, bugs and features in Airtime over the years since it's been out, and compare that to any one of the popular radio automation software titles available for Windows, let's say, 5 years back. 5 years ago, the Windows version installed without a hitch, was easy to uninstall, and was reliable. The point is that Airtime still isn't up to snuff with radio automation software that was available 5 years ago and beyond. It seems the community around Airtime is dying off, as most of the posts and information written about fixing problems on the forum is from around 2013.

Any future version of Airtime promised to actually fix things which are important, to me, at this point, is vaporware. I'll believe it when I see it. If Sourcefabric wants to start posting on the forum and actually start addressing real problems and fostering the dwindling community, then we'll be talking. Until then, believing in pipe dreams isn't a very realistic outlook.
    Post edited by Bob Larson at 2015-06-14 07:28:06
    Hi Bob,

The SSL auto-configuration in the 2.5.1 .deb package was part of the Debian/Ubuntu setup rather than Airtime itself. The issues you mention with service starting and the new installer have been noted, one of the reasons why 2.5.2 or 2.5.2.1 were not released in .deb package form yet.

As for laggy PHP, there have been a number of enhancements to Airtime Pro recently which have resulted in dramatic speed-ups in the admin interface, especially with heavily populated calendars. Our challenge is to reconcile the Airtime Pro branch with the main 2.5.x branch in GitHub so that you can get these enhancements on your own server.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Hi Bob,

The SSL auto-configuration in the 2.5.1 .deb package was part of the Debian/Ubuntu setup rather than Airtime itself. The issues you mention with service starting and the new installer have been noted, one of the reasons why 2.5.2 or 2.5.2.1 were not released in .deb package form yet.

As for laggy PHP, there have been a number of enhancements to Airtime Pro recently which have resulted in dramatic speed-ups in the admin interface, especially with heavily populated calendars. Our challenge is to reconcile the Airtime Pro branch with the main 2.5.x branch in GitHub so that you can get these enhancements on your own server.

Cheers!

Daniel

Is there an ETA on this? I'd like to upgrade using apt if possible.
    Hi Nolan,

Sorry, I do not have a date for the next Airtime release.

Cheers! Daniel
  • Hi Daniel,

Do you think the current release would work fine, or would the bugs presented make it not recommended to use on production?
    Hi Nolan,

Once you have 2.5.2.1 manually installed and the services have started up, you should experience fewer bugs relative to 2.5.1, as there have been many fixes in the meantime. If you aren't sure about the migration, I would recommend trying 2.5.2.1 out on a virtual server or spare machine before deploying it in production.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • There are issues with my current installation due to a server migration, so I need to uninstall and reinstall anyways. I'll update when finished if all is well or not.
  • For some reason it's rejecting all of my show sources and master sources, despite what I set in stream settings. in my client I'm using the same details, yet my live streaming client is giving me a 401 error (Invalid Password. Authentication required)

Edit: more information found in this thread https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17629/master-source-quit-working
    Post edited by Nolan Wagner at 2015-08-05 01:37:45
  • Debian 8 has been stable for 8 months, but I see no glimpse of packages for it.

Are you working on it or has the project been killed?
  • This project is not dead by any means but I'm not sure what the status of debian and ubuntu packages being produced is. If you are interested in running it I would recommend installing it from the 2.5.2.1 install script. See https://wiki.sourcefabric.org/display/CC/Airtime+2.5.2+Release+Notes for the download link.

I would be interested in knowing whether new Debian and/or Ubuntu packages will be produced in the future though as I think a lot of people rely upon that install method.
  • I'm not as sure as you. The repository doesn't even have updated packages for the rest of distributions theoretically supported. The last version on the Debian repository is 2.5.1, which is TWO YEARS OLD
  • Well quite candidly, there has been a huge amount of work done for their Airtime.pro version of airtime, most of that code was on Github under the saas-dev branch, but it was pulled from github a few weeks ago. I think this is because they were doing custom code for clients and realized that it shouldn't be done publically. I've been talking to people at SourceFabric and I believe it is still their intention to release this as a new version. I can only really speculate as to what is going on behind the scenes with the development team but I'm pretty sure there isn't the same amount of time being put into it as there was before.

Also there was some effort to clean-up things like the way that the python packages were bundled for 2.5.2 and there appear to be a few bugs still remaining and I suspect that Albert and/or anyone else working on the project just hasn't had the time to put into it. Basically they changed the way Airtime is installed so much that it would require some level of heavy lifting to upgrade people and likely cause a lot of breakages so they haven't worked out how to do this yet.

I do believe them when they say that they'll release the code as Airtime 3.0 but I'm not sure the time-line they are still working on a road map for it. I would like to more community involvement with the development but I just think there hasn't been a lot of people who have spent the time to learn the Zend framework and try to contribute within the confines of it. A lot of people seem to just tweak liquid-soap etc. to get Airtime to do what they want.

Anyways that is my take on it as a volunteer who has contributed code to the latest release 2.5.2. Now back to reading this book on the Zend Framework and studying airtime code.
  • Is Debian 8 stable yet?
  • Ayy 
    Post edited by Roger Wilco at 2016-04-22 15:21:50
  • Is Debian 8 stable yet?

Has been for months now. 
  • Bla bla bla