Airtime on my 512mb Raspberry Pi
  • Hey Guys,

Hopefully clabrotively we can work this out, my money is on Martin since he got this going before.

My new RaspberryPi 512mb arrived two days ago and I've spent a solid 6 hours trying to get airtime running on it with no joy.
    There are no problems with the hardware specifications/limits, yet, I just can’t get the install to finish.
    I reckon Pi with handle Airtime without any problems aside from being a little sluggish if I can just get to the end of this install.

I've installed Raspbian “wheezy”, sudo and gdebi.
    I've downloaded airtime-easy-setup.deb and tried sudo gdebi airtime-easy-setup.deb but only get as far as:

Setting up Airtime for Etc/UTC timezone...
    Setting Icecast and Airtime domain names to debian...
    Setting defaults for non-interactive installation...
    dpkg: error processing airtime-easy-setup (--install):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     airtime-easy-setup

Ideas? We can totally mark "Running on RPi" off the list I think if we can just get to the end of this!

Much appreciated guys!

• 19 Comments sorted by
  • Beware! Weak CPU is weak.
  • Have you tried it yet though? Lots of people seem to shy away from it but very few have actually first hand experience.

I don't plan on encoding from this, using hardware output instead so that will lighten the load dramatically.
    Post edited by Paul Bonass at 2013-02-12 12:09:15
  • Nope! Haven't tried it myself. I'm waiting for a Pi v.2 with a little more ooomph. And open source GPU drivers would be swell as well. Intel pulled this little stunt with the GMA 3600. Weak sauce all around.

What I can tell you from experience is that even a single-core 2.0ghz x64 CPU has issues keeping up with things from time to time. You're still asking it to DEcode files with scheduling, correct? What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
  • The plan in a nutshell is to connect the PIs to amps for inside a three busy cafe/bars.
    The interface is ideal for the cafe staff to use but will allow me to quickly create playlists for events (partys, funerals, christenings etc)  and integrate daily deals and promos to give it that 'live' feeling.

The unit will be headless with no streaming or heavy workloads. I'll drop GPU memory down to 16MB, mount heatsinks and install in aircon'd offices.

I think it should be capable to run airtime, in our radio network we have RCS and Myraid running on machines you wouldn't believe so I have some faith in this. Wishful thinking perhaps, but hey, why not try! :)

Any ideas on the install? Anyone? Starting to give up... ;(
  • We have it running on our own 512 Pi, and will release the instructions
    very soon - there are quite a bit of tweaks. I'm interested in hearing if a
    Airtime package (either tar or deb) specifically for Raspberry Pi would be
    of interest.
    On Feb 12, 2013 6:10 PM, "Paul Bonass" <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> The plan in a nutshell is to connect the PIs to amps for inside a three
    > busy cafe/bars.
    > The interface is ideal for the cafe staff to use but will allow me to
    > quickly create playlists for events (partys, funerals, christenings etc)
    > and integrate daily deals and promos to give it that 'live' feeling.
    >
    > The unit will be headless with no streaming or heavy workloads. I'll drop
    > GPU memory down to 16MB, mount heatsinks and install in aircon'd offices.
    >
    > I think it should be capable to run airtime, in our radio network we have
    > RCS and Myraid running on machines you wouldn't believe so I have some
    > faith in this. Wishful thinking perhaps, but hey, why not try! :)
    >
    > Any ideas on the install? Anyone? Starting to give up... ;(
    >
    >
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Yes!! Team Pi is currently negotiating to properly license hardware audio encoding/decoding, shifting it away from the central ARM entirely. At that point, I imagine it'd be relatively easy to tackle things like simultaneous multi-track playback, real time effects, et cetera...

We have it running on our own 512 Pi, and will release the instructions
    very soon - there are quite a bit of tweaks. I'm interested in hearing if a
    Airtime package (either tar or deb) specifically for Raspberry Pi would be
    of interest.

• I would love to be able to use this on one of my many Pi's... either deb, tar, or an optimized (light) pre-installed image would be great!!!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    +1
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • Has there been any further progress on getting airtime to run on the raspberry pi?
  • I would love to see how this is done also.  Not so much because I think this is the best way to implement Airtime, but because I'd love to be able to do this as an option on my own Raspberry Pi, just for the value of doing it as an experimenter.
  • I am able to get Airtime running on the pi.  The only issue I have is playing mp3 files.  It keeps dropping even though Airtime says it is playing.  I'm now trying flac files instead of mp3 to see if there are any differences.  The other issue is it is very slow.  Sometimes to refresh the web or login can take about 2 minutes.  I will make an image of the SD card and post somewhere so others can try and fine tune it.
  •  I have  4 Pi's  Which I used for  2 for media front-end, 1 for testing and 1 as a mini-server (with lighttpd)

I however think BeagleBone might give more promised as it relates to anything name server, as the guy at the computer store suggested.

I have picked up 1 BeagleBone and I hope get to play with it this weekend.

You may want to have a look here

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-02-07 11:51:33
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Making something like AirTime run on a RaspPi just makes my inner geek giggle.
  • I have a version sort of working.  I had some Segmentation Faults with my previous setup and had to rebuild the entire thing.  I'm now trying to create an image of the SD card but I'm now running into issues where it will error due to CRC errors.  I just can't win.  If by tonight I cannot create an image I post the instructions on how I got it working, well sort of working.
  • Unfortunately my image is about 1.2G in size due to me using a 32G SD card.

T
    he build instruction is as follows:
    Set the pi GPU to 16.

First sources.list has the following:
    deb http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/ testing main contrib non-free rpi

I then did the following:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade 

Now follow the Minimal install part located here:
    http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/manual-installation/

Reboot after #3

At section 4, the part to create the apache virtual host, follow this post located here:
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16167/problem-with-apache2-4
    and create the apache.conf using the following:

<VirtualHost *:80>
          ServerName localhost
          padding:0in;background:white;text-decoration:none;text-underline:none">#ServerAlias www.example.com
          ServerAdmin root@localhost
          DocumentRoot /usr/share/airtime/public
          DirectoryIndex index.php
          SetEnv APPLICATION_ENV "production"

<Directory /usr/share/airtime/public>
                  Options -Indexes +FollowSymLinks +MultiViews
                  AllowOverride All
                  Require all granted
          </Directory>

</VirtualHost> 

Continue with the instructions at #5 of
    http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/manual-installation/

Reboot before doing #7

Continue to the end.

That's all I did.

I could upload the ing if anyone wants it. This was built on a 32G C4 sd disk.  I
    plan to redo the entire install on a 16G C10. After that I can upload the image
    which should be smaller. 

Post edited by Reaz Baksh at 2014-02-11 21:23:59
  • To reduce the CPU load on the Pi, is it possible to migrate from Apache2 to nginx?  If not is there any way I can strip down Apache to reduce the CPU load like disabling modules or something else?

Also how can I disable mp3gain and silan?
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    yes you can migrate from apache to nginx (look at FAQ and Airtime documentation)
    it is not recommended for mp3gain and silan (except if you have an external device who do there jobs)
  • Well, I looked and looked but all I found was links to sites that showed how to do it but nothing from an Airtime setup.
  • So what's the verdict on BeagleBone Black performance? :)