New forum category - Airtime Hacks - for your tips and tricks
  • Vote Up2Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi all,

By popular request, we created this forum category so that you can share your modifications and improvements to Airtime. If the hack is generally useful for the Airtime community, we can offer help to get it into shape for a pull request against the official Airtime source code. One-off hacks for special cases are welcome too.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • 11 Comments sorted by
  • I guess we all need do dig out our hacks from elsewhere in the forum and pop them in here. Note to self: That includes you John. ;)
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I have more or less the same problem.
  • Excellent
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    I've beginning to do that, but if you have more hacks published, send me the links ;-)
  • First of all , i believe Airtime is a great tool , though lets be honest ............ its not perfect ( yet ).

One of the things i noticed is the absence of having the possibility to scedule news items during a active playlist.

In my case , i get the news bulletins delivered by a third-party , they allow me to download the files through http request. But the only way i can have it being played every hour is by creating a block or a playlist and start each playlist with the news. So it forces me to create a playlist for each hour. No need to tell you , its a hard job doing so every hour ( especially getting every hour for 15 mins at night LOL ).

If someone did manage to find a work around for this or maybe even succesfully tried integrating a http download tool .......................... it would be awesome !

Another thing .............................i know europeans do have a slightly different approach towards radio ............ but it would be very usefull if there was a way to have playlists being created according to a specific format. Here we are used to have a format like :

1. top 10 record
    2. recent hit
    3. 90's hit
    4. general choice
    5. new record

That pattern will repeat it self every hour.

In artime i can define a few criteria but the playlist that will be generated will just pick the records in a random order. There is ( as far as i know ) not a possibility to create a more specific playlist unless i will select the items for my playlist by hand. No need to tell you its very time-consuming.

Maybe someone out here has found a way to make the playlist generating method a bit more specific.

Hope to read your responses soon.

Just in case i have put this nto the wrong thread , please move it to the right one,

Thank you !

• AGREED jeroen laurens schuitman We need the same EXCATLY any ideas?
  • For a start why do yo not have a 2 minute show each hours called news then a new show for the rest of the hour?

• Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Jeroen, hi Holly,

The answer to this question is in rich metadata. For example, if you want to schedule a '90's hit' in each show, you need to have a set of files tagged as such. Create a dynamic smart block with an appropriate time limit (say four minutes) which selects only this genre. Then put this smart block into your show playlist. Each time you add this playlist to a show, it should have new content generated.

John is quite right that a separate show for news at the top of the hour is the way to go, if your news is pulled from a different source.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • I have been working with Airtime for about 6 months, trying to get ready to use it to playout for our new LPFM radio station. I started using non-linked programming, which pretty much worked. But the work was too much, so I tried linked shows. This has been frustrating, as there are too many obvious bugs - wrong times being assigned for playout is the worst, because it can leave more than one song playing at the same time - a real offense to the ears. I an experienced database programmer, and I suspect that the open-endedness of the linking is part of the problem. Where to stop? A year? I don't know how far the database receives data for future shows, but it sure does work when I want to change something. Who knows how many records it is trying to update, but it seems to take forever, and the processor is going at it full bore. My view is that there is likely a better paradigm to be found. Honestly, at this point I am not sure what to do. I need a solution to provide 24 hour playout. If Airtime would only do what it claims to do, I think all would be well. But as it is it seems unreliable. I think everyone knows that there are problems. Some apparently think that it can still be useful. I am totally willing to use work-arounds and so on, but the learning curve is pretty steep and long. I am hoping to get some good advice from people with more experience than I have with this software.
  • As it turned out, I was NOT using the rt (real time) kernel on my debian Wheezy installation. So I fixed that, and now do not seem to have the sound output glitches, as before. But I am still having to deal with double booking - two songs going out at the same time. I have switched to using finite end dates on shows, and that may improve the database issues that lead to the dueling songs.
  • Did you follow my stupid advice here https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/17183/i-am-getting-two-audio-files-playing-out-at-the-same-time- ?

Nearly all I have suggested this to have worked including myself.

I do not know if since kernel 2.3 there is any real changes for 90% of application.
    I think there are some write up on that,will find it soon,even my playout software they no longer recommend any real-time kernel but I may be wrong,so will research it

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.