Moving the Import Folder
  • Hello
    I just happen to inherit a 24T Raid storage that I would like to partition and use as the Airtime Import Folder.  The present location is: /srv/airtime/.  Is there a way to reconfigure this location to point somewhere else?  I was thinking of copying the files and mount the new location, /mnt/new, to /srv/airtine.  Would that work?  Or can I reconfigure something to point to the new location?  The 2.4 manual indicated that this can be done but it also stated that the database entries will be eliminated.  Is there a graceful way of doing this without messing up the database?  Also can this be done with out going off air?
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • I'm hoping someone knows a graceful way as well.  My experience in moving the files was that the library rebuilds fine but the playlists have to be rebuilt because they no longer point to where the files are.  Perhaps a new feature would be to have the changes to file locations not only be reflected in the library but also in the now playing window, playlists, etc 

Of course I could edit the database...and I did dive into that but decided it would be easier to rebuild the shows with smartblocks.
    • Is there a way to reconfigure this location to point somewhere else?

This can be done

• I was thinking of copying the files and mount the new location, /mnt/new, to /srv/airtine.  Would that work?

Leave the hard drive partition with the "/srv/airtime" and it files but change under media.Copy files if you want to make new playlist

• Also can this be done with out going off air?
    look at this http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15678/tips-to-fullfil-and-spice-up-your-airtime-life-dailymonthlyor-whenever-the-pen-fill-with-ink

I dealt with making backupfile and introfile using mounts

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • I really need to check this forum more regularly. 

Thanks for the suggestions.  I decided on mounting the external storage on /srv.  The only problem I encounter is importing tracks.  I can preview directly for the external storage and Airtime seems to like the storage, well beyond the 24 hour period .  For some permission reason I just cannot add any files.    From Airtime root can write to the storage but www-data cannot.  Is www-data needing RW access to this location?  I thought it needed only read access.

• Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    thnaks to mark as "resolved"
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2013-09-19 05:17:39
  • Is www-data needing RW access to this location?

make www-data a part of the Airtime group and then what rights Airtime have the apache group will have.

but why do you need that?

I think your problem is with where you mount the storage
    so 

sudo mkdir /srv/storage
    sudo chmod 777 /srv/storage/

then permanently mount your storage in fstab

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2013-09-19 11:03:31
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Hi @Voisses
    The reason I did this was two fold:
    I wanted to create a sort of backup in case the mounted external RAID fails.  If it did, the original /srv/airtime will then be the source.  My plan is to have the original /srv/airtime also have an updated content by doing a rsync once a week just after every weekly asset import.

So the order of the plan is:
    Mount the external drive to /srv and use this as the main storage
    If the external drive fails, a script will determine this by querying a specific file that only resides only on the external drive, and unmount it. Since Airtime caches the content for 24 hours I have this time to fix the drive.  If I can not, the original /srv files will be accessible to Airtime.
    After every weekly import I unmount the external drive and rsync from the external drive to the the original /srv.  Once done I re-mount the external 

Does this make sense?

One really good addition to airtime would be to make a Main and Backup storage so that when an asset is ingested it goes to both.  Within Airtime it would get the files from the Main but if it is not accessible then Airtime will immediately use the Backup.

For the www-data access I will give it more rights so it can write to the external drive.

Plan is not fully implemented yet but getting there.