Airtime 2.2.1 setup/install help
  • I feel like I've hit every possible roadblock to getting this thing up and running but now I'm at a hurdle that I can't seem to jump.
    None of the airtime-check-system items are running.
    I have ubuntu on a vps (so I'm doing everything command line) and I installed using command "aptitude install airtime".

First problem was that postgresql had to be UTF8 (whatever... why is that even a requirement?) so, I fixed that problem, after some heavy research on how to actually make that happen. Then I had to purge airtime then re-install.
    Install then went alright and I was able to log into it on port 80 and upload some music files only... Those music files aren't showing up anywhere in airtime for me to actually use.

So, I hunted through these forums and found something that said to add
    none dev/shm tmpfs rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0
    to my /etc/fstab and then reboot the server.
    Did that, still no joy.

So then I ran airtime-check-system (output will be pasted below).
    I need to figure out what the heck to do with this so that I can get this working as normal.
    I am not using localhost... I have an actual domain name on an external vps.
    Any help in getting this system up and running would be greatly appreciated.

My system:
    /etc/*-release
    DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=11.10
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=oneiric
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 11.10"

locale:
    LANG=en_US.UTF-8
    LANGUAGE=
    LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
    LC_ALL=

output from airtime-check-system:
    *** Verifying your system environment, running airtime-check-system ***
    AIRTIME_STATUS_URL             = http://localhost:80/api/status/format/json/api_key/%%api_key%%
    AIRTIME_SERVER_RESPONDING      = OK
    KERNEL_VERSION                 = UNKNOWN
    MACHINE_ARCHITECTURE           = UNKNOWN
    TOTAL_MEMORY_MBYTES            = UNKNOWN
    TOTAL_SWAP_MBYTES              = UNKNOWN
    AIRTIME_VERSION                = UNKNOWN
    OS                             = Ubuntu 11.10 i686
    CPU                            = Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           L5520  @ 2.27GHz
    WEB_SERVER                     = A
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_PROCESS_ID      = FAILED
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_RUNNING_SECONDS = 0
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_MEM_PERC        = 0%
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_CPU_PERC        = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/pypo/pypo.log
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:43,726 DEBUG - [api_client.py : get_response_from_server() : line 92] - http://localhost:80/api/version/api_key/OD6IU4S4OYNZS5A9VSHC
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:43,727 ERROR - [api_client.py : get_response_from_server() : line 110] - Error connecting to server, waiting 5 seconds and trying again.
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,729 ERROR - [api_client.py : get_response_from_server() : line 88] - Error Authenticating with remote server: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,729 DEBUG - [api_client.py : get_response_from_server() : line 92] - http://localhost:80/api/version/api_key/OD6IU4S4OYNZS5A9VSHC
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,729 ERROR - [api_client.py : get_response_from_server() : line 110] - Error connecting to server, waiting 5 seconds and trying again.
    --
    --
    LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = FAILED
    LIQUIDSOAP_RUNNING_SECONDS     = 0
    LIQUIDSOAP_MEM_PERC            = 0%
    LIQUIDSOAP_CPU_PERC            = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log
    --
    --
    MEDIA_MONITOR_PROCESS_ID       = FAILED
    MEDIA_MONITOR_RUNNING_SECONDS  = 0
    MEDIA_MONITOR_MEM_PERC         = 0%
    MEDIA_MONITOR_CPU_PERC         = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/media-monitor/media-monitor.log
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,480 ERROR - [MainThread] [api_client.py : get_response_from_server()] : LINE 88 - Error Authenticating with remote server: HTTP Error 404: Not Found
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,480 DEBUG - [Thread-2] [api_client.py : get_response_from_server()] : LINE 92 - http://localhost:80/api/list-all-watched-dirs/format/json/api_key/OD6IU4S4OYNZS5A9VSHC
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,480 DEBUG - [MainThread] [api_client.py : get_response_from_server()] : LINE 92 - http://localhost:80/api/media-monitor-setup/format/json/api_key/OD6IU4S4OYNZS5A9VSHC
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,480 ERROR - [Thread-2] [api_client.py : get_response_from_server()] : LINE 110 - Error connecting to server, waiting 5 seconds and trying again.
    -- 2013-02-05 18:27:48,480 ERROR - [MainThread] [api_client.py : get_response_from_server()] : LINE 110 - Error connecting to server, waiting 5 seconds and trying again.
    --
    --
    RABBITMQ_PROCESS_ID            = FAILED
    RABBITMQ_RUNNING_SECONDS       = 0
    RABBITMQ_MEM_PERC              = 0%
    RABBITMQ_CPU_PERC              = 0%
    -- There appears to be a problem with your Airtime installation.
    -- Please visit http://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/HABQ
    dpkg: error processing airtime (--configure):
     subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     airtime

• 18 Comments sorted by
  • Try editing /etc/airtime/airtime.conf and /etc/airtime/api_client.cfg and make sure the host name properly reflects your domain name.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Martin,
    Thanks. After editing the two files and then running the check command again,
    RABBITMQ_PROCESS_ID is now working but the other 3 are still "failed".
    I then restarted
    service airtime-playout restart
    service airtime-media-monitor restart
    service airtime-show-recorder restart

In hopes that it required a restart, but still no joy.
    The error I get when viewing library is that the database is empty so, I hoped that maybe the files I uploaded yesterday just didn't get entered into the database so I uploaded a new file in order to see if that worked and it did not.
    The files do actually exist in /srv/airtime/stor/organize and a second file for each of my uploaded files exist with a .identifier tagged to the end.

When editing the files you suggested, I did not change the host for the database because my database connection does use localhost rather than the domain.

vi /etc/airtime/airtime.conf
    [database]
    host = localhost
    dbname = airtime
    dbuser = airtime
    dbpass = airtime

[rabbitmq]
    host = www.mbsaustin.com
    port = 5672
    user = guest
    password = guest
    vhost = /

[general]
    api_key = OD6IU4S4OYNZS5A9VSHC
    web_server_user = www-data
    airtime_dir = /usr/share/airtime
    base_url = www.mbsaustin.com
    base_port = 80

;How many hours ahead of time should Airtime playout engine (PYPO)
    ;cache scheduled media files.
    cache_ahead_hours = 1

[monit]
    monit_user = guest
    monit_password = airtime

[soundcloud]
    connection_retries = 3
    time_between_retries = 60

• Please attach /var/log/airtime/pypo/pypo.log

It's bound to be something simple :)
  • I love it when it's something simple. I won't be able to get to my computer until 7 central this evening but I'll post as soon as I do :-)

Thanks for your willingness to help!
    You rock!
  • Martin,
    Thanks again. The pypo.log file is attached.
    It looks like it's still looking for localhost (odd) but, maybe I'm wrong (not sure)... I've got to head back to work but, I'll check back when I get off to see what geniusness you've come up with.
    BTW: Do we have an IRC room or anything?

• Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    dpkg-reconfigure airtime

and give the real ip or your server hostname ...
  • /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: airtime is broken or not fully installed
  • Martin,
    Thanks again. The pypo.log file is attached.
    It looks like it's still looking for localhost (odd) but, maybe I'm wrong (not sure)... I've got to head back to work but, I'll check back when I get off to see what geniusness you've come up with.
    BTW: Do we have an IRC room or anything?

Sounds like you may just need to restart playout and media-monitor after updating your log file:

sudo service airtime-media-monitor restart
    sudo service airtime-playout restart

We don't have an IRC room at the moment.
  • Martin,
    Thanks again for being awesome! :-) I feel like we are getting close.

I have this error:
    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: airtime is broken or not fully installed

And then I have this one.

sudo service airtime-playout restart
    Restarting Airtime Scheduler Engine: chown: cannot access `/etc/airtime/liquidso                                                                                                                     ap.cfg': No such file or directory
    Done.
  • I managed to get playout restarted without error by simply creating an empty liquidsoap.cfg file although, I'm not sure what exactly I should have in that file.

I still get an error here though:
    dpkg-reconfigure airtime
    /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: airtime is broken or not fully installed

But, at least I now see all of my audio files :-)
    I'll run it and see if this is all working out :-)
  • I believe this is related to the Debian package not marking Airtime as
    successfully installed since you have a unorthodox config where you aren't
    using localhost to refer to Airtime and this confuses the system check run
    at the end of install. Will see if we can remove this for Airtime 2.3 due
    next week.
    On Feb 7, 2013 2:09 PM, "Michael Diviesti" <<br />airtime-support@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> I managed to get playout restarted without error by simply creating an
    > empty liquidsoap.cfg file although, I'm not sure what exactly I should have
    > in that file.
    >
    > I still get an error here though:
    > dpkg-reconfigure airtime
    > /usr/sbin/dpkg-reconfigure: airtime is broken or not fully installed
    >
    > But, at least I now see all of my audio files :-)
    > I'll run it and see if this is all working out :-)
    >
    >
  • I'm finding this entry in a few cfg files. Any thoughts on whether or not that should be my domain name rather than /?
    rabbitmq_vhost = '/'
  • No you can ignore that. It's a RabbitMQ virtual host that has nothing to do with your domain name.
  • Okay,
    here's what I have now after all of the suggested items above.
    I can now at least upload files, build playlists and schedule them to play (this is the method that we are actually going to be using for this anyway) and I can test play those playlists but, when I schedule them to run, it shows that the playlists are playing, it shows the metadata for the files... etc... but the "On Air" alert is not red (although it turns red for a few seconds whenever the track switches to the next one.

Also if I click the "listen" button, I get the popup with but nothing actually is playing.

This sounds like a u53r error to me and I may just not be setting up my schedule properly so, for now I will traverse the manual and see if I can glean any useful information.

I'm thinking that the original issue has been solved and I'll mark this one as such after I've had a chance to double check everything.
    I truly appreciate the help that you've given.
    Thank you!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Michael, with an empty /etc/airtime/liquidsoap.cfg file you will not hear anything. This file is auto generated by clicking Save on the System -> Streams page of the web interface. Permissions on the file should be:
    -rw-r--r--

and ownership should be:
    pypo pypo

Cheers!

Daniel
  • ERROR - [pypocli.py : liquidsoap_running_test() : line 135] - [Errno 111] Connection refused

so why would the connection be refused here?

Also, liquidsoap.cfg is -rw-r--r-- and owned by pypo pypo however, whenever I make changes to System-> Stream, the file is still empty.
  • Okay... I was going about this setup all so very freaking wrong so... to all of the n00bs (like me) who fall for this trap :-)
    Just install airtime and keep the default "localhost" as it is in all of the various places that it exists.
    Allow airtime to create your v-host.
    After install, go to vi /etc/apache2/sites-available/airtime-vhost
    uncomment the ServerAlias and edit it to be the url (keep servername in tact though).
    Once done, restart apache.

Then, go to the url, log-in and go to system->streams.
    in the "Server" field, put in the same url you used for ServerAlias.

After doing it this way, everything is up and running with no errors.
    I made this much more difficult than it really was :-)
    Thanks to all who helped!
    Michael
  • Good news to hear Michael - our next update will include the ability to set it up the way you had initially attempted as well.