distributed? That or an offline tool.
  • Hello again,

I've come to realize that, with its architecture based around revision control, Booktype is very similar to SCMs like CVS or SVN.

But you see, I don't really use those two, as I prefer distributed systems for a number of reason that Linus explains very well in his talk on Git:

Now, the most obvious case in which Booktype would benefit from that is the "airplane with no wifi" scenario (which is mentioned in Linus' talk). What if I've got a great idea, some free time to write it down to words, but no internet connection? Distributed systems can solve this. An offline tool could do the trick as well, and palliate cloud's biggest default: the absolute necessity for an Internet connexion.

I do not know enough of the technology and the architecture behind Booktype to talk more about the subject. I'm just throwing this idea to be put into consideration by the devs.

Good day to you.

JLD

Post edited by Jean-Loup Didelot at 2012-02-18 07:39:32
  • 2 Comments sorted by
  • hi,

I totally agree with you. We had been considering using something like Wiki on a Stick:
    http://stickwiki.sourceforge.net/

Essentially we discussed a download option, you could download a book into a one page html5 doc and edit away then merge later. The same could be done with an empty book of course - just use the script, write away and merge later...

I dont suppose you are interested in helping us with this sort of thing? I think its not that difficult to take the wiki on a stick code, or start fresh, and make something that would work as an offline book writer structured in a similar way to the way Booktype structures content. If we could get a protoype and work with you or others on it then we would be very happy to have this sort of thing iincluded in the interface of Booktype.

adam
  • The main problem with a fully distributed approach is the merging. One could solve it by letting authors resolve their own conflicts, but this would require them to collaborate in a non-distributed way. Alternatively, an editor could work on the conflicts, but a key idea behind git is to eliminate just that.