Problem in setting up Airtime on/for Raspberry Pi 3 (Rasbian Jessie 8.0)
  • Hi friends,

After struggling a lot with repeated failures of installing Airtime both a latest release version and from git head/master on/for ArchLinux-ARM (I prefer it, because of simple and robust package build and management) I switched back to Rasbian Jessie 8.0 Lite and successfully installed Airtime from git :-)

Everything else seems to working fine except for the airtime-liquidsoap.service, (I took/added these systemd scripts from AUR (Arch User's Repository); this service aborted/crashed with the following message:

[bdheeman@raspberrypi:~]$ sudo systemctl -l status airtime-liquidsoap.service
    ● airtime-liquidsoap.service - airtime-liquidsoap daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/airtime-liquidsoap.service; disabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-03-31 19:03:55 IST; 18min ago
    Process: 2976 ExecStart=/usr/bin/airtime-liquidsoap (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 2976 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 31 19:03:52 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started airtime-liquidsoap daemon.
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: At /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_playout-1.0-py2.7.egg/liquidsoap/library/gstreamer.liq, line 9, char 53:
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: cannot apply that parameter because the function
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: (at /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_playout-1.0-py2.7.egg/liquidsoap/library/gstreamer.liq, line 9, char 24)
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: has no argument labeled "clock_safe"!
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: airtime-liquidsoap.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit airtime-liquidsoap.service entered failed state.
    ]$ sudo systemctl -l status airtime-liquidsoap.service
    ● airtime-liquidsoap.service - airtime-liquidsoap daemon
    Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/airtime-liquidsoap.service; disabled)
    Active: failed (Result: exit-code) since Fri 2017-03-31 19:03:55 IST; 18min ago
    Process: 2976 ExecStart=/usr/bin/airtime-liquidsoap (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
    Main PID: 2976 (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)

Mar 31 19:03:52 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Started airtime-liquidsoap daemon.
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: At /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_playout-1.0-py2.7.egg/liquidsoap/library/gstreamer.liq, line 9, char 53:
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: cannot apply that parameter because the function
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: (at /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/airtime_playout-1.0-py2.7.egg/liquidsoap/library/gstreamer.liq, line 9, char 24)
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi airtime-liquidsoap[2976]: has no argument labeled "clock_safe"!
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: airtime-liquidsoap.service: main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    Mar 31 19:03:55 raspberrypi systemd[1]: Unit airtime-liquidsoap.service entered failed state.

I don't have enough expertise in python, hence I'm unable to figure out whether it's a bug or it's me who missed something out during install. All I was forced to comment out "loudCmd 'initctl ..." from the install script, because the Debian/Rasbian have switched over to systemd a long ago and I think, the initctl is more related to Ubuntu/upstart.

Please help me sort this out ASAP.

Thanking you in anticipation.
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • I know lots of people seem to think otherwise, but this project was at one time geared to run on Wheezy. It was also abandoned 5 years ago. Just things to think about.

• I know lots of people seem to think otherwise, but this project was at one time geared to run on Wheezy. It was also abandoned 5 years ago. Just things to think about.

Thats not true.
    Upon until last year (April 2016) there were a full team working .

Their Approach was wrong.In fact I found a lot of codes that had they just spent two month and go through the code base but they start break down and build there own.
    What we got was a Proprietary version  they called Saas).
    Just Airtime with  Botox(Face Lift)

Read my signature you find them. I love this one

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”

They never even wanted to share their code. and lucky I saw their Plan and Others 2 as most things (archive) started to disappear .

We then start to backup a few things.

For 6 years BUTT stayed on Sourceforge without updates today its one of the most popular.

There are people with Airtime version 2.3 who have not moved and because its working for them ,they just have not moved.

I understand Roger's frustration as he sees Sourcefabric as the only Answer.

I see them as teaching me to fish

So just go to the search bar and type Raspberry Pi and you will see a lot of approaches. I am not too fond of using the pi for Airtime . You can find a whole lot of small boxes. that you can do a lot with

So keep on fighting my friend and share your learning

try this

https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/18114/howto-install-airtime-on-a-raspberry-pi-3

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2017-03-31 14:39:53
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Congratulations!

I somehow, managed to make it work on/for Rapbian (Jessie) 8.0 running Rasberry Pi 3, but could to make it to show the 'Station Time' in local 'Asia/Kolkata' i.e. IST (Indian Standard Time) in/on the admin panel :-(

All I needed to do was remove /etc/airtime/airtime.conf and drop the airtime database using psql and start over auto-configuration via web again, pointing the browser at 192.168.1.2, the IP of Pi3/Airtime server ;-)

I'm sure, I have double checked, System-->Preferences-->Station Timezone is set to 'Asia/Kolkata', Rasbian/system's default/global /etc/timezone is also set to 'Asia/Kolkata' and the date command as well as phpinfo show the timezone as IST; that's the accurate local time synced by ntpd.

I'm unable to figure our what else should I try to set it up to show local time?
    Post edited by Balwinder S Dheeman at 2017-04-01 08:27:09