webstream duration under one minute
  • I want to pull in audio from remote web streams but these item's duration may be only 5, 10, or 30 seconds.

Is is possible to create a webstream item with a duration of less than one minute?  Perhaps validate the form "00h 00m 00s"  ?
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • Well this is a theory,concept or a great question.
    You need at least 10-30seconds to get a good buffer for any stream even in a your media player.
    Not even "Flash" would see those 5-10secs stream but if you must dream this concept why not use 00h01m,no matter how small the stream <60secs it would be seen in logs,but "whoosh" its out of there.Skip in all of its good.(I have had to use sleep xx sec to catch certain events in coding,
    You might have to creat your own script for that
    Please be aware of buffers,burst and cache,they will explain why some things are not practical

VOISSES
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-01-02 20:35:34
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Thanks for your response Voisses. I can see how there might be challenges with buffers and small amounts of data.

I did try using 00h01m for the duration, but the issue I encountered was that a full minute was scheduled in the show and during that minute in playout, the 2 second stream was requested and played 30 times!

What I am trying to accomplish is playout of time and temperature announcements (I use airtime for a local over-the-air radio station). I think I can do this with a cron job that runs every minute to retrieve a remote audio file containing the current time announcement and saves it under the same name every time. 

But that approach is a bit of a hack and would not be nice to users that cannot modify their cron and install other scripts if I were to share the work beyond my own station.

Cheers and Happy New year,
    Matt
  • Things disappear in Airtime quite often ,but Micz Flor had an excellent article .
    OK found it

You need with either

or

but basically you record form the web weather source and pull it in at play time

Another way is to have a dj or other record some mp3 saying like "The temperature is" then have like another mp3 saying  the degrees  like this "40 degrees", "50 degrees"  and so on

Now most meteorological offices and weather station will give reports like three - four times a day 0500 Morning,1200 Midday ,1400-1700 Afternoon , 2000-2300 Night.

You could have php explode or parse some xml that pick these up and create an m3u and just play it at that times

I used to pull mine as a mp3,but they are now using automated so I am looking at how festival can do it, but it sound so "Bionic"

but Php Curl is your friend

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.