AirTime borked everything
  • So I got my own unmanaged dedicated server that I was also using OwnCloud on and decided to put AirTime and Icecast2 on it as well. Unfortunately, even though the install went without a hitch (I'm on Debian Wheezy and used the auto-installer) my whole site became airtime. If I go to my domain http://fur.dance/owncloud it just loads airtime. I was under the impression Airtime would only load under http://fur.dance/airtime/ but that is apparently not the case. It took over the whole server. I think it was a mistake to tell AirTime to remove the default apache configuration. Apparently it erased all the apache modifications other auto-installers had used.

Due to this, I can't access OwnCloud anymore. I uninstalled AirTime using apt-get and restarted the server and owncloud still won't load. It looks like I have to start from scratch with this.

Is there a way to not start from scratch? If I do wipe the server and start over, how should I install AirTime to assure that it will only be installed to /var/www/airtime/ so that it will only load if I go to http://fur.dance/airtime/. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Don't panic yet. I doubt Airtime has deleted the rest of your installation - it probably just that apache now does not know where it all is and you just need to set up some virtual server files.
    It is not very hard to re-setup Apache. There are numerous tutorials on the web.

So about that backup you did not do? ;)

No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I ended up uninstalling AirTime and restarting the server and everything worked again, except AirTime obviously.

I probably shouldn't have AirTime on this along with ownbox and a basic website, but I don't expect much traffic plus it's a dedicated server. I was previously running my site on shared hosting.

If I install AirTIme again, will it undo the edits to the vhost files and such or no. And if I do use the auto installer, any specific settings I should select to avoid editing apache? I believe there's a "no change" option when it asks if I want to remove default.

Once I hear back I'll finish up what you listed. Thanks!
  • Seem I have your back here.
    Look at this tutorial https://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16216/101-virtual-hosting-for-dummies.

I will work with you to update it but it should get you the start.

I think >2.5.1.1 is installed on port 443 so i will walk through with you to get this link updated.

VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • But let me give you a synopsis

If you look in your /etc/apache2/sites-available you should see a file named airtime-vhost.conf
    If you did not delete it you would see two files airtime-vhost.conf and default

So lets edit the airtime-vhost.conf

sudo nano /etc/apache2/sites-available/airtime-vhost.conf

Now you will see two virtual host  starting as follows

<VirtualHost *:443>  and the other  <VirtualHost *:80>

<VirtualHost *:80> is your culprit

Step 1
    so change it to say  port 8080 or any port you do not have anything listening on to look like this

<VirtualHost *:8080>

Step 2
    Lets set up the config files for airtime that use http,things like rabbitmq and monit
    change the base port to 8080 in these two files

sudo pico /etc/airtime/api_client.cfg 
    and
    sudo pico /etc/airtime/airtime.conf

Step 3
    We have just created a new listening port so lets tell apache about it

sudo pico /etc/apache2/ports.conf

and place this in the file

Listen 8080

if you have a firewall allow port 8080 on both (incoming and outgoing)

Step 5

If you are anxious as I am you could just restart  apache

sudo service apache2 reload && service apache2 restart

Then go to http://IP : 80 and it should hallo at you no site found
    but when you go https://IP or http://IP:8080 you should see your airtime login

So lets configure to point to your site.
    the root directory of most site is /var/www/  so I will ASS U ME  thats the case if not  you need that information

Step 6
    you need to create your virtual host to point to your web root directory
    Just back to your  airtime-vhost.conf and copy what is there for port 8080

place it below that virtual host but now change that new copy of virtual host from *8080 t0 80

You should now have 3 virtual host in that file

<VirtualHost *:443>  and the other  <VirtualHost *:8080> and finally <VirtualHost *:80>

then look for the line that say document root and change it to your webroot (/var/www/) and remove ther redirect directive

like this

<VirtualHost *:80>
            ServerAdmin webmaster@localhost

DocumentRoot /var/www
            <Directory />
                    Options FollowSymLinks
                    AllowOverride None
            </Directory>
            <Directory /var/www/>
                    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                    AllowOverride None
                    Order allow,deny
                    allow from all
            </Directory>
    </VirtualHost>

Step 7

Lets enable our sites and reload and restart Apache

sudo a2ensite [ change me to your domain eg localhost,whatever.com without these bracket]

then
    sudo service apache2 reload && service apache2 restart

Step 8
    Oh just got carried away you are finished,go to localhost or your Ip etc and check all you should be fine

Oh this was a doozy.Go drink something and say "Yes"

GOOD Luck
    VOISSES
    Ps. it require all these steps since Airtime was design with the Idea
    • One your Airtime would be a dedicate server
    • It would be too numerous to state all the possibility of configure your virtual host and the one I gave is just a sample

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-11-26 03:35:05
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert SantoniAlbert Santoni
    Hi James,

Can you confirm if it was the easy-install option you used? We should be more upfront about what changes to your system that approach will make... (IMHO we should remove this if it broke your default site)

Thanks,
    Albert
    Airtime Developer @ Sourcefabric
  • Maybe the installer should say: Install as default Site or on Port Number 8080 (whatever)
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Hi James,

Can you confirm if it was the easy-install option you used? We should be more upfront about what changes to your system that approach will make... (IMHO we should remove this if it broke your default site)

Thanks,
    Albert

Yes the Stage that state configuring Airtime and your Virtual host could be clear,but to heck who ever read those message its all default for us yes,ok,continue is all we used to.Call it we are anxious to get the darn thing done
    Take for instance when you chose no thanks and you see the error at the check system

-- There appears to be a problem with your Airtime installation.
    -- Please visit http://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/HABQ

You scratch your head and said "WHAT"

And if you follow the link http://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/HABQ you could just get miserable your problem just got more complex

Instead it could suggest

-- There appears to be a problem with your Airtime installation.
    -- Try One of these options
    -- Try  reconfigure your settings using this or similar command sudo dpkg-reconfigure airtime
    -- Try  uninstalling and reinstalling (using a recommended repository)
    -- Please visit http://wiki.sourcefabric.org/x/HABQ
    -- or try our support section

ITS A BIG MISTAKE TO REMOVE IT as I indicated ,you can never predict what will change in any operating system and it is good to use a "best practice" than "have a cure for all"

No matter what you remove this would still place a challenge in different case in mine ,I had install it on my mythbox and boy I was mad.

VOISSES

• Thank you so much for the detailed reply. I ended up uninstalling AirTime and restarting the server and everything worked again, except AirTime obviously.

I probably shouldn't have AirTime on this along with ownbox and a basic website, but I don't expect much traffic plus it's a dedicated server. I was previously running my site on shared hosting.

If I install AirTIme again, will it undo the edits to the vhost files and such or no. And if I do use the auto installer, any specific settings I should select to avoid editing apache? I believe there's a "no change" option when it asks if I want to remove default.

Once I hear back I'll finish up what you listed. Thanks!

Yes You should and keep note of it.
    Nothing is  Guarantee with operating systems when you do core updates.
    The problem most people have is that once you have and update they rush for it,which is never true.

If you have any embedded device (cable box,routers,smart tv's etc) you never update them unless its critical,why should all the time unless they are critical then you need to know how to fix them and this is a solution that works.

I also find this procedure usefully to move to services and application separate and provide a little more security.

VOISSES