Custom URL formation
  • Hi,
    I started a community local news blog in a small town under-served by news media. The site has taken off and now I'd like to move the site to something more fitting than Joomla & K2 (which has served us well to this point).

I've installed Newscoop onto a development server and I really like it. I think there's lots of potential for us to make great use of it.

Unfortunately there's one thing that's stopping me...

I would need to migrate a lot of content from the old site into newscoop. Its vital that the page urls would follow the same format so the pages would have the same address to search engines and (critically) all the social media likes and comment plug ins we use.

I can't figure out how to do this with newscoop.  I really need a page url that would follow our existing url structure of...
    [sitename].com/[section(ie news]/[subsection (ie politics)]/[item id no (ie 1004)]/[friendly-name-of-item-based-on-headline]

Any ideas on how I would be able to achieve this?

Thanks in advance,

Liam

• 3 Comments sorted by
  • It's a couple of months since I posted this request for help. Wondered if anybody around the boards today would have any ideas?

Seems like this is a great CMS - but losing listing of a wealth of content from google etc is going to be a great sticking point for many of those who might consider migrating.

If this facility does not exist today, anybody know if there's any plans to add in to future versions?

Liam
  • Hello Liam,

sorry for this late reply; Newscoop generates url in the way sitename.com/en(language parameter)/news(issue url_name)/politics(section url_name)/article_number/Escaped-article-name.html

By some sysadmin redirection rules it is possible to for example get rid of language parameter, or to redirect for example sitename.com/politics to the Politics section of the current issue. It is still not possible to affect the url structure from the admin area, but it  is already requested and I believe this will happen in some of forthcoming Newscoop versions.

Hope this helps!
    --
    Ljuba Rankovic
    Senior Front End Developer, Sourcefabric
    ljuba.rankovic@sourcefabric.org

http://www.sourcefabric.org
    http://www.twitter.com/Sourcefabric
  • Thanks for the update.
    Thats good news, will keep an eye on this site.

Cheers,

Liam