Airtime broadcasting "silently" after Mixxx live broadcasting
  • Hello to everyone,

I' ve been having this problem with airtime. When I have a live broadcast using MIXXX connected as master source to Airtime everything is fine. Even when the live broadcast ends the scheduled show plays just fine. The problem appears the next day at a non regular time of day. The radio is shown to play (media player will show time passing) but no audio is coming out. The problem is only solved after rebooting the PC with airtime installed.

Is this some kind of bug or am I doing something wrong?

Thank you in advance.
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • What version of Airtime are you running? Can you confirm what a "non regular" time of day is?
  • [dupe post]
    Post edited by Steven McPhillips at 2014-06-05 18:41:06
  • Yup.
    It does that badly. If I say any more Altavoces will blow his weekly fuse and toys will be thrown as usual.

Did he buy Airtime? Please advise as he acts like he does.
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-06-05 19:19:20
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • @pame webradio
    First cover a few things
    • Is there something schedule in the calendar at the time your Airtime goes silent?
    • Are you using a Vanilla install?
    • Do you have a backup file (Icecast) or AutoDj (mod_script)
    • What is your Icecast logs or ls_script logs saying at those time (/var/logs/icecast2/error.logs and /var/logs/airtime/pypo/ls_script.logs respectively)

Just some things to check.

I have also found it intuitive to look at my syslogs also for firewall blocks and DoS.

and Also as @Steven McPhillips suggest

could you post your airtime check system (Please remember to remove any sensitive info).

Good Luck

VOISSES

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Guys - let's not flood the poor person's post for help with snarky, uninstructive comments (like yours @John Chewter), or too many things to check (like yours @Voisses Tech). 

Instead, lets get the basic stuff confirmed, and move on from there.

many thanks,

Steven (Sourcefabric Support)
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Alex LAlex L
    what is "the basic stuff" and what are the things that should be removed from databases etc shared publically for security purposes?  And once a user has obtained those large files, how do they upload them to the devs?

To be fair what Voisses says on his first 4 bullet points is logical, other than not everyone has the customisation files he refers to. if John (who has actively been fixing other stuff) warns that the system still doesn't handle the live changeover well that shouldn't be glossed over as it is the main reason many stations switch from other playout systems to Airtime.

I would also suggest that info about the domestic time zone (i.e what you would expect to see on a clock or wristwatch correctly set in the country of the playout system) the dates of DST changes (if applicable) are added to the "basic information". This will vary from country to country but might also help unearth issues of things appearing in "non regular times".

I have asked on the bug tracker about whether it is worth preserving any bits of my the airtime server with a defective database for evidence gathering, and got about 75% of an answer. It might be the case that the devs already have plenty of info and don't need this, in which case if get a clear response I can use the server for something else (which could even still be a clean install of airtime!)

Alex The Engineer @ rtn VFRmedia - Ipswich, UK
    http://www.vfrmedia.co.uk
  • The basic troubleshooting are covered in the manually clearly here  http://sourcefabric.booktype.pro/airtime-25-for-broadcasters/troubleshooting/

From the day I attended my first linux group meeting,Jerrry at MIT,told me all your answers is in your logs.

If we never tell people how to start and what to look for and where they are going then may as well just get in there system and fixed it for them. Its Like a doctor treating the symptoms,not the Cause.

I ignored the snubbish remarks,not only because I thought it was offensive,but immature.

I blew my lid every time because of some questions that really are just not support related and really are experiments.

Where I am deficient,I leave the topic,but gather enough information that should I run in that problem,I can embark on a start

I do not know the intent of @Steven McPhillips  comment,and honestly I do not care.

So let me blew my Lid now

I love Airtime,If anybody read my original post,you will see my level of dumbness when I first approach this forum for answers.

When Lisa (Former Team Member) asked me about coming on board,initially I considered it.I wanted to but after working 14years from the level of Tech to Director in IT and the corporate bureaucracy,deadlines and pressures.

I later went back and told her my place is in the forum.

Every students,I taught become master over me  and I never stop until they say "I have got it"
    I brought this approach here.

I like to be Free,Free to Speak Free to Walk and just Free like a bird in the Air.Even if I am Caged,I will flew around chirping

I lend my support to any person,when I can without any condition period .

I came here for answers,I got them already,I stuck around to help others.

To also be attacked by a Support Team Member really indicates that my time has ended here. Which has happen already and I fend it off (maybe I never had all my answers)

Thank You all and I do not care a "Rat's Ass" what anyone think. or If you all delete this

I have too much things doing to come here for this.

To All Crazy People like Me out there "Continue to be Crazy,The World is a Crazy Place" There are Always "Crazier" than Us but they Manifest what is called "STEALTH MADNESS"

I have Flew OUT of herewith my lid and wings

VOISSES

I hope you All have Heard me
    or
    Can You here me Now

Ps. FYI
    Nothing I buy,I own ,I come across or acquire,means anything to me unless I share it.
    So even I bought Airtime (Hope everyone knows its Open source and Free).It gives me no more rights than the person who paid Zilch for it.

I expects anyone who install Airtime to have basic knowledge of Linux. and its Waste of time asking for versions etc,When someone could just post the

Airtime check system

and it gives you information from the virtual host to all the software versions and information.

This Calls for a drink of Whiskey. So Let me go Have a sip.
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-06-06 11:57:38
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Hello again,

I will try to answer to as many questions you made me as I can.

First of all the version of Airtime I am using is the latest (2.5.1).
    By saying that the problem appears at a "non regular time" I mean that the prolbem will not appear at the same time of a day whenever it appears.
    If I have a live broadcast with MIXXX today, tomorrow it will occur at a random time.

There is always something scheduled on Airtime when it goes silent.

I have made several changes to the installation of Airtime but only the ones from the SYSTEM menu and nothing else that would demand altering the files.

The 2 pcs carrying airtime and icecast are set to the same time zone and at the same time.
    I will need some time to check the log files, although I don't see any files similar to this one "ls_script.log" on the pc where airtime is installed.
  • It sounds exactly like the problem I faced. Look up http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/comment/29299

What's not mentioned in the disscussion is I also use master source on daily bases. I temporarly solved the problem with daily liquidsoap restart.
    Post edited by Marcin Tym at 2014-06-06 11:24:26
  • My comment here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16630/airtime-not-switching-input-automatically is relevant

Pay attention to these lines on how to get the logs

"
    Now look at your logs for exceptions and these logs are

sudo pico /var/log/icecast2/access.log  (also your error log is important)
        sudo pico /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log
    "

Now there is a python script that watches the liquidsoap and initiate a restart  if it stops.

So here are questions to ask yourself

1. Did you turn on and off automatically master in the settings. if so the machine with mixxx has to have the broadcast settings disable
    2. How did you switch  from master to schedule ,Did you use the toggle switch?

While these are basic lets covered them and should that occur check what is happening to source stream  on the show builder page.

Maybe a jiggle or toggle may just be the cure.

but posting a snapshot of the ls_script log at the time of the event will help

VOISSES

Good Luck

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-06-06 11:59:01