Set secondary url in WebStream item
  • Hi there,
    here's a little idea maybe for future releases:
    when I create a new web stream in library, it would be useful to set a secondary url, for when the first one is off.
    I'm thinking e.g. to the giss.tv stream, which goes on two different urls for the same streams (changing the port: http://stream.giss.tv:8000/streamname.ogg AND http://stream.giss.tv:8001/streamname.ogg), but the same case can apply to every streaming service which uses more than just one mountpoint.
    Then, when I add the webstream in a scheduled show, I wouldn't have to change it everytime to the "auxiliary" one if the main one is off: the webstream itself will pick up the second url previously set.
    Mh? Can it be something somehow doable?
    (or is it maybe already doable, and I didn't notice it?)

Thank you,
    bye
  • 10 Comments sorted by
  • Brilliant suggestion.
    Are you talking like a playlist (m3u or pls),where it moves to the next audio file?

There is a feature request page,hope one of the moderators will direct you to this.

Good Luck
    VOISSES
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Are you talking like a playlist (m3u or pls),where it moves to the next audio file?

yes, something like that! The list could contain more than just 2 streams.

There is a feature request page,hope one of the moderators will direct you to this

I couldn't find that page here in sourcefabric.org, is it somewhere else?

Thank you
    Post edited by Andrea Jotti at 2014-04-29 11:03:10
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Andrea, it is at http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC/ - you will need to log in with the same username/password as this forum.

Under Issues -> Create Issue, set Issue Type: Improvement and Affects Version/s: User Requests.

Cheers!

Daniel

• ok, thanks!
    I created the issue, hope I did it in the right way: http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5825
    Bye!
  • Maybe there is another way to get to the same result: working on the behaviour of Airtime with PLAYLISTS: if an item in the playlist is not working for some reason, pass directly to the next one.
    In this way, when the item is a webstream and it is offline, Airtime will skip directly to the next item, which could be another webstream.

Now it doesn't work in this way: it continues playing the first item, even if it is offline, streaming silence.

What do you think?
    Hi Andrea, Airtime trying to rebroadcast a stream which is offline is a playout bug, please report that in a separate ticket. There should be some warning to the user that this is going to happen.

I guess failing each item in a playlist could work, but using a playlist implies waiting for the first source to fail before moving on to the next, which would cause playout disruption if it happened during the show.

I thought you meant something like "a few seconds before rebroadcasting the stream, test the stream URL and make sure it works, otherwise test the next URL" and so on.

This would be useful for stations that broadcast via multiple Icecast servers, either for redundancy or because they face censorship in certain countries.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Hi Andrea, Airtime trying to rebroadcast a stream which is offline is a playout bug, please report that in a separate ticket. There should be some warning to the user that this is going to happen.

Hi Daniel. Airtime does warn me if the stream is offline, and it even doesn't allow to create a webstream if it is not working. Problem is when the stream goes offline AFTER I scheduled it in the show: in this case, now Airtime just streams silence.

I thought you meant something like "a few seconds before rebroadcasting the stream, test the stream URL and make sure it works, otherwise test the next URL" and so on.

Yes.

Thank you again!
    Hi Andrea, I can imagine that if you are not expecting the remote stream to fail, you might not have any fallback media organised for that show. So perhaps the best solution is for Airtime to go off air when this happens, and fall back to the general safety system in place. I have filed this as http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5837

Cheers!

Daniel
  • excuse me, I was wrong: when the stream fails, Airtime doesn't streams silence: it falls back to the "filler" music we set for when there's nothing scheduled (empty shows, or between shows).
    But this cannot be the solution for this case: I would like a SPECIFIC secondary url for every stream, not just a general fallback for all.

Thanks!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Voisses TechVoisses Tech
    And the only way this can be solve if there is a rewrite of the way airtime  playlist (smartblocks and dynamic) are created  and saved so that playlist are create as pls or m3u  after the list of files are selected.

The other way to do this is to put the streams in your fallback like this

fallback( livestream1,livestream2,livestream3,default....)

But this is only practical (but can be done) for where you have a remote station and you want them to take over when the main station is not streaming. Not for multiple dj or webstream

Please note ,This is not a feature in most software I tested like sams,and zaro.
    They have one stream url and when that fails you are back to the Auto dj playlist.

Therefore it has to be a new feature

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-05-07 08:49:18
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.