Spring Update on Airtime Development
  • Vote Up2Vote Down Albert SantoniAlbert Santoni
    Hi all,

We've been busily working away on the next major Airtime release (2.6.0) and here's a sneak peek at what's to come:

- A reworked library page that makes it easier to find your playlists and smart blocks.
    - An improved smart block builder with improved support for combining AND/OR operators, the ability to pick tracks by relative date/time (search by last played, etc.), and play count.
    - A brand new preview player inside Airtime (the popup is gone!)
    - Tagging your media and smart block rules for tags
    - An improved "Add Media" page, which shows you the status of recent uploads and lets you know if ingestion failed for any of them.
    - Tons of bugfixing to all of the features mentioned above.

Other stuff we've been working on that you probably won't notice are:
    - A massive refactoring of all the audio library tables in Airtime and many parts of the codebase, which will make it really easy for us to implement tagging, better smart blocks, and other features in the future. We're laying the groundwork for a lot of cool features. :)
    - A better file ingestion and background processing architecture (airtime_analyzer), which may end up replacing media_monitor. This is particularly useful for managing software updates on large numbers of Airtime installations (like we do with Airtime Pro).
    - A REST API for media in Airtime. You'll be able to fetch information about audio files stored in Airtime and even upload new files to be ingested. We've actually built this hand-in-hand with airtime_analyzer and the improved Add Media page, which are using our Media REST API already. (This API will be a great way to hack new ways to ingest files into Airtime...)

What we also hope to accomplish is:
    - Intelligent scheduling of tagged audio files, through smart blocks and/or "clocks" - eg. Play 15 minutes of jazz then 1 advertisement.
    - More advanced listener statistics

We've been working on designing both of these last two features but we're not yet certain of the timeline for getting those into a release. At the very least, the refactoring project and tagging and both prerequisites that make even better smart blocks or "clocks" easier for us to do. So although we're not directly writing code for those features yet, we are making progress towards them.

Next, we've been steadily improving our Airtime Pro service. From our new Pro plans, to better reliability, to faster updates, we've improved nearly every aspect of the service in the last two months and will be continuing to bring about even more changes in the coming months. These changes have been going hand-in-hand with an overhauled development process that's allowing us to deliver bugfixes and improvements to Airtime Pro users faster than ever before.

Lastly, we have a couple of bugfixes that deserve a 2.5.2 update, and I hope to be able to start planning that release next week. It should be a painless upgrade for most users and primarily solves the last few scheduling bugs that were found in 2.5.x series of releases.

Thanks, and happy broadcasting!
    Albert
    Airtime Developer @ Sourcefabric
  • 45 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up2Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    "What we also hope to accomplish is:
    - Intelligent scheduling of tagged audio files, through smart blocks and/or "clocks" - eg. Play 15 minutes of jazz then 1 advertisement."

Too Great ! And Cool !
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2014-04-10 05:53:52
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    Hi Albert, thanks for the update.

Regarding "A REST API for media in Airtime" - is there a wiki or other page on how to use this? Very excited to see this coming. And curious to hear how stations will be using it.
    Post edited by Micz Flor at 2014-04-10 06:01:42
  • Just wanted to ask if bugtracker issues for 2.5.2 are up to date. I don;t know if it resembles the real state of work or not.

Good job! Can't wait to test betas and RCs :)
    Post edited by Marcin Tym at 2014-04-10 06:19:00
  • This is a welcome breath of Fresh Air.
    Thanks albert for a true updates.

Let me say this what has attracted me and many others to Airtime is its  Online web broadcasting.
    They are 1000's of desktop (workstation/workdesk) playout out there now and software for terrestrial radio

Most broadcast console now even include playout,cartwheel,schedule,jingles bank etc.

Airtime has the Online broadcasting Lead,This is where the world is heading,Keep it please. No need to re-invent the wheel.

Website Page or login Forms or application changes

Now Let me emphasis this,I cannot develop any security framework that will prevent people with intention,idlers,haters and just people who cannot cultivate good within themselves.

I want to spend my time having fun and developing my creativity.

I do not want to cower in fear that someone will hack me,In fact i do not even care but I want to take all precautions.

Airtime should help me in this.

Notify,Communicate,tell me suggest or somehow inform me that changes is made because unscrupulous people will capitalise on this sending innocent people like myself to it.

What I am talking about is as the topic said  about the login forms.

I do not search google for airtime because there is so much I have to search for Sourcefabric.

Thanks once again and keep up the good work

VOISSES.

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • when it is launch
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    soon, really soon
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    this sounds so damn nice, Albert!

but what the heck are you talking about, Voisses?
    sometimes I'm really not sure about my english-skills ;-)
    but nevermind, I don't care and got used to it...
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • in 2.5.1 verison  some times sound not come then it only comes when lquidsaop server restart but when this service resterted all listeners are gone means disconnected plz also fix this bug
  • @Hoerich what I am saying is

• Major changes to like the web page and layout could be attempted to tell us in advance ( I cited the login page).My reason for this, mainly the world is full of misguided and I cannot keep up with them(Yes like Hackers I am talking).I want to go to place I know,when the holidays come ,you get crazy mimic shopping pages,pretending they are real on this side of the world. 

• Major Changes to the software could likewise.

See this suggestion http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/16585/devops-airtime-in-a-docker-container

• Changes sometime impact the way you have setup up your system (like even playlist and webstream for me the mods)

If I am wrong or is not valid in my paranoid thoughts,let  me know as my post here is to Follow the New world direction

"Comply and then Complain"

Thanks once again Airtime Team for the Updates

Good Luck

VOISSES

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2014-04-26 13:31:22
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    I'm still not getting it, but thats ok :-o
    you often seem to beat about the bush! which doesn't make it easy to follow you

• Vote Up1Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    RC, please!
  • Vote Up1Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    @hoerich +1000
  • I must agree with Voissess. Since the team change the communication with users and wannabe devs has deteriorate if not disappeared. It was really great to consult all the problems and ideas with the team. It was nice to know that sooner or later a team member will take care of it. Now I can't see that. The major change is not really consulted not to mention bug reporting. But maybe it's only my perspective.

Nonetheless, Airtime rules and I have no doubt about the future development :) Enthusiastic supporter as always :)

@hoerich yup, RCSVP :)
  • Any ETA on a release? Definitely looking forward to this one! Also, do you guys plan on adding Icecast 2.4.0 in to the installer? it was just released a couple weeks ago
  • This is welcome news. I'm glad to see that the Pro version is getting improvements. I imagine that directly funds the development of the free version.

Thanks.
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • When can we expect the update?
  • sounds great. looking forward to the new updates
  • Lovely to see a status update of where airtime is heading. Kinda missed the feeling our issues where adressed although when watching the changelog there was a lot happening. Its good to see why the focus shifted to reworking the codebase to implement mutch needed features.

I loved reading : Weighted Playlists and Clock features for advertisements ;)

Keep up te good work and more status updates please. That keeps us informed and commited !
    Post edited by radioa6 at 2014-06-04 18:20:09
  • Before you came into my life

I missed you so bad

And you should know that

:-c
  • i have this error come please help

AIRTIME_SERVER_RESPONDING      = OK
    KERNEL_VERSION                 = UNKNOWN
    MACHINE_ARCHITECTURE           = UNKNOWN
    TOTAL_MEMORY_MBYTES            = UNKNOWN
    TOTAL_SWAP_MBYTES              = UNKNOWN
    AIRTIME_VERSION                = UNKNOWN
    OS                             = Debian GNU/Linux 7.5 (wheezy) i686
    CPU                            = Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    WEB_SERVER                     = Apache/2.2.22
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_PROCESS_ID      = FAILED
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_RUNNING_SECONDS = 0
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_MEM_PERC        = 0%
    PLAYOUT_ENGINE_CPU_PERC        = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/pypo/pypo.log
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:57,134 INFO - [api_client.py : is_server_compatible() : line 220] - Unable to get Airtime version number.
    --
    -- 2014-06-25 13:29:02,135 DEBUG - [api_client.py : __call__() : line 134] - http://manpreetmoga.in:80/api/version/api_key/PIU3IM1S8VIBIHV0VQGJ
    -- 2014-06-25 13:29:02,137 INFO - [api_client.py : is_server_compatible() : line 220] - Unable to get Airtime version number.
    --
    --
    --
    LIQUIDSOAP_PROCESS_ID          = FAILED
    LIQUIDSOAP_RUNNING_SECONDS     = 0
    LIQUIDSOAP_MEM_PERC            = 0%
    LIQUIDSOAP_CPU_PERC            = 0%
    tail: cannot open `/var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log' for reading: No such file or directory
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/pypo-liquidsoap/ls_script.log
    --
    --
    MEDIA_MONITOR_PROCESS_ID       = FAILED
    MEDIA_MONITOR_RUNNING_SECONDS  = 0
    MEDIA_MONITOR_MEM_PERC         = 0%
    MEDIA_MONITOR_CPU_PERC         = 0%
    -- Displaying log file /var/log/airtime/media-monitor/media-monitor.log
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:33,533 INFO - [Thread-1] [watchersyncer.py : __init__()] : LINE 19 - Created timeout thread...
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:33,533 INFO - [Thread-1] [airtime.py : init_rabbit_mq()] : LINE 36 - Initializing RabbitMQ message consumer...
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:33,539 INFO - [Thread-1] [airtime.py : init_rabbit_mq()] : LINE 48 - Initialized RabbitMQ consumer.
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:33,540 DEBUG - [Thread-1] [api_client.py : __call__()] : LINE 134 - http://manpreetmoga.in:80/api/media-monitor-setup/format/json/api_key/PIU3IM1S8VIBIHV0VQGJ
    -- 2014-06-25 13:28:33,543 INFO - [Thread-1] [syncdb.py : reload_directories()] : LINE 49 -
    --
    --
    -- There appears to be a problem with your Airtime installation.

• Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Manpreet, I would guess that you have a problem with your hostname configuration or DNS. Firstly, is the server http://manpreetmoga.in reachable on your local network? Cheers! Daniel
  • The initial installation check should be a little more lenient with regard to an FQDN. And perhaps better explained as well. Sometimes it takes hours for them to go live and novices likely have zero clue what's going on.

Also, why shouldn't the easy install routine simply use localhost by default for everything and only check to see that the WWW frontend works when the user's DNS finally starts serving up the goods if it isn't ready?

Just my 5¢ ...   :-\"
    Post edited by Roger Wilco at 2014-06-29 22:01:50
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Roger, localhost works fine if the machine is stand-alone (no remote users) and Apache is only serving Airtime. If Apache is serving multiple virtual hosts, when Airtime components try to access the Airtime API, using localhost has unpredictable results. Since we can't really tell how someone is going to use their server, it's safer to use the FQDN and an appropriate virtual host definition for it.

If the domain is brand new and not yet in DNS, you can use an entry in /etc/hosts as a short-term solution.

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Hi Roger, localhost works fine if the machine is stand-alone (no remote users) and Apache is only serving Airtime. If Apache is serving multiple virtual hosts, when Airtime components try to access the Airtime API, using localhost has unpredictable results. Since we can't really tell how someone is going to use their server, it's safer to use the FQDN and an appropriate virtual host definition for it.

If the domain is brand new and not yet in DNS, you can use an entry in /etc/hosts as a short-term solution.

Cheers!

Daniel

Yeah, I follow you, but Airtime should run on it's own server -- virtual or not -- and not bundled together with 262953 other websites and stuff. Ya know? Folks trying to do too much with one box are just asking for trouble...
  • Can we expect a release within the next couple of weeks? We are running a two week FM station at the start of next month - it would be great to use the new features? 
  • Vote Up0Vote Down BartBart
    don't hope too much Matt. Airtime is almost dead, almost no development on it.
    Only Denise seems to be working on it sometimes, and seems to focus on 'cloud'.
    Schelstraete Bart - http://www.contact-dance.com
  • Really Bart? Are you having another Jeremiah day? Go and look in the Git - the new stuff done and the dates?
    I just recently helped myself to all the new, available, finished 2.2 stuff and uploaded it. Worked great for me! A lot more stable now.

NOT ADVISED (but what with me being a super-hero and all ;) )
    Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-08-15 10:49:45
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down BartBart
    yep, really.

#worstappeverneverusethis
    Post edited by Bart at 2014-08-31 12:15:33
    Schelstraete Bart - http://www.contact-dance.com
  • Really looking forward for the release 2.6. Even though development may be reduced, wouldn't it be possible to launch 2.6 within the next few weeks? I will also run a station on it - the SmartBlocks Features are highly required!!
  • Can't wait for the new release!!!
    perhaps in one month or two...
  • They had better get a move on. There is another one snapping at their heels.
  • They had better get a move on. There is another one snapping at their heels.

Who are they?

curiosamente,
    Francesco P.

• It would be rude to post it here.
  • Why? It would be an useful comparison among open source software. :)

I'll write you in private!

segretamente,
    Francesco P.

Do you talk about http://openbroadcaster.com ?

it's effectively an alternative and Rivendell too, but they have difference too
  • I use Openbroadcaster for video. But its not that one :) It's Shampoo

Post edited by John Chewter at 2014-09-17 13:23:48
  • Ar! They be a'hirin! :ar!
    It's a late good news ;-)
    but a good news anyway
  • Albert, seems that I missed the good news :) What is it?
    they're searching devs ;-)
  • They have been 'hiring' as long as I have been using Airtime. :/

• still no further update on this one? very unsatisfying..
  • Out of pure curiosity I had a look there and found both 2.5.x and 2.6 branches - the 2.6 being merged from 2.5.x (?!)  I assume John meant 2.5.2 but subsequently posted that this had disappeared (maybe this is what got merged).

I know very little about how the collaborative development works; so may be mistaken but is it not possible for someone (albeit with a lot of Linux knowledge) to download this and get some sort of "newer" version (that may of course still contain serious bugs) and maybe even assist with testing/development? I assume that in these files is everything airtime would normally contain for an install; as this same week the BBC uploaded to github some files for watching a pet cat with a raspberry PI and camera; written in a style even young kids could understand..

The dates on the Airtime git files do indeed show recent changes; I think the problem here is no one even explains how you would go about using the git for testing a newer version on a non critical machine (for instance I have an old laptop I installed Ubuntu on; and had airtime running before on an even older desktop although its hardware was a bit flaky).

to be fair even the current version of airtime stays working for long enough to make it usable even for mostly unattended stations if you keep an eye/ear on what is going on every few days - but surely if more folk were encouraged to test the new versions it may lead to the bugs being fixed in some way or another or workarounds found?

Really Bart? Are you having another Jeremiah day? Go and look in the Git - the new stuff done and the dates?
    I just recently helped myself to all the new, available, finished 2.2 stuff and uploaded it. Worked great for me! A lot more stable now.

NOT ADVISED (but what with me being a super-hero and all ;) )

Alex The Engineer @ rtn VFRmedia - Ipswich, UK
    http://www.vfrmedia.co.uk