Metadata control on webstreams
  • Hi all, my 2 cents suggestion for a new/future feature on airtime. It's about the ability to force metadata on webstreams. Indeed, I often have a problem when playing webstreams shows, as they don't always display the right related metadata. It would be nice to be able to control/set manually a metadata in airtime (at least for webstreams). Cheerz 
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Hi Yann, do you mean something like http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-3967 ?

Cheers!

Daniel
  • Yes, kind of, but my request would be a bit different, I want the metadata to be sent to icecast server too, not only to the widget, because of people listening the radio with their own mediaplayer via the .pls file. Anyway, to force the website metadata display for webstreams, I use some php with day/hour constraint to display something correct. But the problem remains for those listening with their mediaplayer.
  • Indeed, my request concerns especially webstreams, where the show host (especially when they are from FM radio) often don't have control to the metadata they send to their icecast (this one we relay). That's why I think it would be nice to be able to force the metadata in airtime backoffice. Anyway, it could be nice in general, not only for webstreams.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Daniel JamesDaniel James
    Airtime 2.5.1 allows you to set Stream Title, Stream Description, Stream Genre and Stream URL. Do you also wish to force Current Song: metadata?
    Post edited by Daniel James at 2014-02-12 06:15:32
  • What you mention seems more to be a general description (as they would appear for example in shoutcast public servers list). I don't think it is related to metadata ; especially my request was more about being able to force the 'creator' or 'title' tag/metadata in icecast. About the current song, we don't use the widget, we display the current playing song by php-curling the shoutcast metadata. Sorry if it is not clear, english is not my main language .
  • I am a little lost about this could you clarify more with an example,
    We use webstream and for butt etc we use manual txt but for mixxx etc the meta data are sent.

There is however a way to update the metadata manually,by changing the stream queue update parameters in the ls_script. If the stream settings in Airtime is not working.,But as I said I am at a lost about this question.

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Yes sorry my english is limited to explain my request well. Concrete example :
    We relay (webstream) a radioshow from a FM radio. This FM radio provides a web stream via an Icecast stream. It is this stream we are relaying, as well as its metadata. The problem is that this icecast server (the one from the FM radio) doesn't provide a good metadata when the live show we are relaying starts (usually it's is the latest playlisted track played on this FM radio, before the live show starts). The show host has no admin access to this icecast server to set manually the metadata according his show. So when we relay this show, we have a wrong metadata (= the latest playlisted track played on this FM radio, ok ?). That's why I requested a fonctionnality that makes possible to set/force a specific metadata to shoutcast/icecast servers during webstreams. I easily can tweak the metadata display on the website, but as it doesn't affect the 'real' metadata provided by our shoutcast/icecast, people listening to the radio with a local mediaplayer (vlc, clementine, winamp, etc.) still have the wrong metadata displayed in the player. Hope it is a bit more clear. I'll post it in the french forum, so maybe someone better in english could help me to explain/translate exactly what I mean. Cheerz.
  • Ok. I get You.
    So here is what happen.

Icecast send a burst of data before the actual stream which result in delay with data and actual streams ( well of course if you had access to the icecast config),

Could you tell me if you have played with the stream settings in Airtime and what are the results?

My actual thought is that if the metadata is not coming from the client side then the main and easiest way is to use a rewrite but this will only be a static tag like this "VOISSES- Your Station for Variety" to substitute for variable artist and variable title
    Where VOISSES is the artist and Your Station for Variety is the Title

Yes there is an update meta function  in liquidsoap where you can pull the data from any url,but this is more extensive since the Airtime script uses map metadata ( so whatever the source transmit is suppose to be output)

I will try to reproduce and see what to do.

Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • To complete my previous post, I don't talk about any bug isn't it. I just talk about an eventual feature (= suggestion) that would be nice. If the feature already exists in > 2.4.1, please everybody forget about this post, We will upgrade our airtime version next summer :) If not, (note to the developpers) please try to think about a feature that lets us easily control metadata from webstreams/relayed shows, when themselves are unable to do it. Cheerz ;)