Record/Rebroadcast Randomly not working
  • Hello,

I am using Airtime 2.4.0. I am just getting my schedule set up. I check off Record for every show and I have maybe a dozen shows programmed. I am finding that Airtime randomly forgets about my Record setting. It stops showing the red dot on the calendar and it does not record. Also, when I go to edit the show, the Record option is greyed out. I can't think of a reason that, if you are allowed to edit the show, Record would be greyed out.

I am also finding that I can't delete shows in some cases. There is the option to delete and I select it, but nothing happens. All my shows are recurring, so I don't think it's related to that. I thought it could be related to the current day, but I found that to be false also.

Thanks,
    Nat
    100.3 FM in Waterloo, ON, Canada
    www.soundfm.ca
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down hoerichhoerich
    Hi Nat,

when editing a show, the Record-Option is greyed out because you cannot change this option after creating the show with this attribute.
    This is similar to the Linking-Option. If you unlink a show, you cannot relink it.

If you experience troubles with deleting shows, try to find out your PHP-Version and read this http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15618/airtime-2-4-0-released
    A few pals do have problems with their calendar-view with an old PHP-Version.

Am I right assuming that you use this Airtime-Setup just for Recording, not for Public Broadcasting?

cheers, hoerich
    Official Airtime Forum Manager
    --------------------------
    Most of the time an issue is located between keyboard and chair.
  • I'll be doing a mix of both, but I want all shows to be recorded for podcasting.

when
    editing a show, the Record-Option is greyed out because you cannot
    change this option after creating the show with this attribute. - See
    more at:
    http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15693/recordrebroadcast-randomly-not-working#sthash.pdzzNmCt.dpuf
    Why can't I change the option after creating the show with the recording attribute? What is the purpose of that?

I update my php as you suggested. I still cannot delete the shows in question. I can remove the repeat options but clicking delete does nothing.

www.soundfm.ca
  • Can you post any errors found in /var/log/airtime/zendphp.log or in /var/log/apache2/error.log ?

• Here's some stuff from the apache log:

[Thu Jul 25 11:04:52 2013] [notice] Graceful restart requested, doing restart
    [Thu Jul 25 11:04:52 2013] [notice] Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) PHP/5.4.17-1~precise+1 configured -- resuming normal operations
    [Thu Jul 25 11:06:07 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:06:13 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:07:09 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:07:11 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:08:01 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:11:49 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function setDbShowId() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 847, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule
    [Thu Jul 25 11:25:20 2013] [error] [client 198.235.180.201] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function setDbShowId() on a non-object in /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 847, referer: http://airtime.soundfm.ca/Schedule

I don't think there are any errors from the same time period in zendphp.log:

2013-07-25T11:05:23-04:00 INFO (6): [ScheduleController.php : eventFeedPreloadAction() : line 136] - month
    2013-07-25T11:05:35-04:00 INFO (6): [ScheduleController.php : eventFeedPreloadAction() : line 136] - month
    2013-07-25T11:24:56-04:00 INFO (6): [ScheduleController.php : eventFeedPreloadAction() : line 136] - month

Thanks.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • By any chance are your some of your shows appearing twice in the calendar?
    Can you post a screenshot of your calendar in month view please?

This sounds like the same issue some of our other users have reported and we're working on a fix for it currently.
  • All shows are set up to with some level of repeat. Rebel Time Radio and Halfway House were the shows I can't delete. I was able to remove the repeat on Rebel Time Radio and then add it again starting on the net week, with repeat. For Halfway House, when I try to turn off repeat, the interface hangs. I get a busy mouse pointer. To get out of that state, I navigate to another part of the interface.
    1272 x 914 - 109K
    www.soundfm.ca
  • @Nat can you send me a dump of your database by running this in the terminal:

sudo -u postgres pg_dump airtime > airtime.sql

Don't post it here. Please email it to me at denise.rigato@sourcefabric.org
  • I ran the command. Where did the dump end up?
    www.soundfm.ca
  • It should end up in the current directory
    Or, in other words, the same location you ran the command.

• I see the file. now, how do I email it? Sorry, I haven't done this from the command line before.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • You don't have to email it from the command line. You can use your usual email client attach the file that way. Unless you have airtime installed on a virtual machine?

• I don't have a desktop installed, command line only on Ubuntu server.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • You can use sendEmail command

sudo apt-get install sendEmail

sendEmail -f your@email.com -t denise.rigato@sourcefabric.org -u [SUBJECT] -s [SERVER] -m "some message" -a [path to dump file]

If your mail server requires authentication you need to include -xu option for username and -xp option for password
  • I found a better way to get the file, scp! You should be getting an email soon. Thanks.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • I found another possible twist to this story. I have a 4.5 hour show that I set to record. How does Airtime handle this? The show was this morning but I don't have a recording for it or the others shows today. I am assuming that something hung with the 4.5 hour show due to the length.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • I checked out that other thread that the Airtime team is working on regarding deleting shows. It seems I have the same issue. Hopefully the solution fixes the other issues. Let me know if you need any other data from my setup. Thanks.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • If you have some problems with the recording then it's quite old. I remember it since version 2.0.3. The bug affects only back to back shows. The cause is simple: the first instance of ecasound haven't finished recording while the second tries to start. Both those iinstances try to access the same sound card resource and always the secobnd one is being revoked.

Details on the problem: http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/14042/2-0-3-not-recording-shows

@Dev_team Have you considered using jack for simultanues access to sound card? Maybe that's a quick fix?

Post edited by Marcin Tym at 2013-07-30 09:06:41
  • Was that issue fixed? I do have back to back shows that recorded fine. Then the last show was 4.5 hour long, which did not get recorded.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • No, It wasn't. The bug is acting a bit randomly. Some back-to-back recordings succedes, but some are not so lucky :) The ecasound lacks precision to use it in back-to-back shows, as far as I presume.
  • It seems like if a new instance of ecasound is launched for every recording, then Airtime should check for a previous instance and then kill it before launching the next one. Your story check out though :) Yesterday I went to launch ecasignalview and I could not because ecasound was already running, which I thought was curious. I killed it and proceeded. I just checked and I have recordings from today.

For the developers out there, is this a quick fix? Is there some type of bug tracking about this?

I will pursue the JACK solution in the mean time.
    Post edited by Nat Persaud at 2013-07-31 21:42:34
    www.soundfm.ca
  • Nice to hear that. That was exactly my thought: kill the previous session and let the new one commence. That's a quick fix for the race condition. More complex would be using an audio router e.g. JACK. If you would find out something useful don't forget to post it :)

@Denise
    Is it possible for you to fix this problem? It impares Airtime rebroadcasting since 2.0.3.

• Can someone answer the question of why it's not possible to edit the "record" flag after a show has been created with it checked?

Thanks.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • I have found that when you edit a show that already has the record flag set - it is forgotten upon saving. 

If I changed a show's name or the time for example, it no longer allows me to record the program. I have to delete it and re-add. 
  • Yes! That is exactly what is happening to me. I tried editing and not changing anything, just re-saving, and it had the same effect. I saw the red dot change to an exclamation point. Of course, when I edit again I cannot edit the record flag because it is disabled. In this test, I was able to delete the show. I still cannot delete some other shows.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • @Marcin I created a bug ticket for this. We'll have a look into it
  • I've just come across the bug preventing the deletion of shows from the schedule. Is there a fix for this yet? We had 2 shows set to be recorded back to back with the same name and neither could be deleted from the schedule. The error thrown by Apache is as follows:

[Thu Aug 08 12:41:38 2013] [error] [client 87.74.73.154] PHP Fatal error:
    Call to a member function getDbTimezone() on a non-object in
    /usr/share/airtime/application/services/ShowService.php on line 659,
    referer: http://XX.XX.XX.XX/Schedule

We're running PHP 5.3.10.

Anyway I solved this particular problem by deleting the row/show from cc_show via phppgadmin but I guess it could happen again..?

James
    Post edited by James Dunn at 2013-08-08 08:06:40
  • @Denise Cheers, Much obliged.

All interested in fixing the issue - please vote for the bug on http://dev.sourcefabric.org/browse/CC-5299

• @Marcin, as I understand it the issue with ecasound is that you cannot have 2 instances running at the same time? This seems to work fine for me on our Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS server. I have no /etc/asound.conf or ~/.asoundrc but can still run 2 or more processes. However you could try creating /etc/asound.conf with a dsnoop plugin and see if that works:

http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc#dsnoop

James
  • James, thanks for that tip. I am also running 12.04.02 LTS but I can't have 2 instances of ecasound accessing the same audio input. I will try out dsnoop.

Getting back to the main topic, the issue for me is that I can't create a show that can be both recorded and that I can add content to. On creation, if I select record, then I don't even get any options to add content from the calendar view. If I don't select record, then I do get those options but I can't edit the record flag. Also, if a show is created to record, then any further editing of the show removes the record flag, converting it into a non-recorded show.

I would like to create a schedule of shows in which they all get recorded and I have the possibility of adding content to.
    Post edited by Nat Persaud at 2013-08-08 10:09:56
    www.soundfm.ca
  • I just discovered this in the manual:

"Shows set for live recording should not also contain files or playlists."

Why????
    www.soundfm.ca
  • @Nat the current recording feature does not record your icecast or shoutcast stream. It records from your machines sound card line-in input.

We are having a public google hangout next week about developing a feature I think you are looking for, which is to record the stream itself. There are more details about that here http://forum.sourcefabric.org/discussion/15736/airtime-hangout-3-recording-in-airtime
  • I will try to attend that discussion.

I do not want to record from the shoutcast stream. I want to record the analog input.

In my setup, I have an analog mixer in a traditional studio. The output of the mixer (program audio) gets split to: 1) studio to transmitter link, 2) Airtime input. I also have Airtime as on of my sources on the mixer so that I can mix any audio from Airtime with other sources. I will not be using Airtime's output stream other than to send it to the analog output.

What I Want
    I want to set up my shows in Airtime and have the record flag set for all of them. Sometimes shows will be live analog using laptop and microphone connected through the mixer. At other times, a host may stream into Airtime from her home studio, or schedule a playlist in Airtime remotely. During Airtime playback, it's audio will go through the mixer and the program audio will go back into Airtime for the recording.

So I am puzzled as to why, as a program feature, you cannot record and play simultaneously.
    www.soundfm.ca
  • I'm going to move this discussion over to the hangout thread.
    www.soundfm.ca