Multilanguage questions
  • Hi

I have been trying to understand how the multilingual functions and getting it to work in Newscoop.

I have added a publication in English and one in Spanish.
    But when I set up the Spanish publication, I have to put something in the SITE ALIAS field. I have
    no idea what to put there, since Newscoop gives me an error when I put the same domain as the english site, eg.
    nasarocks.com ... So I tried putting nasarocks.com/es as site alias...

Then with a user with author rights, I can create an article in Spanish and I can choose the publication and all works well.
    Up until I want to actually view the article, so I click view LIVE ARTICLE, and I get a 404, because it tries to load nasarocks.com/es/es/...........

That's my first issue/question. What should I do for it to work?

Then I have a question about multilingual translation. So let's say I have an article about NASA in English.
    As an author, in the backend I click TRANSLATE and I go ahead and translate the article to Spanish. Ok, so far so good.
    But after I translate it, I have no idea where it shows up. When I translate it, I can't choose that the translation should
    show up in a different publication (with Spanish language)... So it just disappears.

I am missing something here, but not sure what :)

Best of regards
  • 1 Comment sorted by
  • Hello,

multilinguality in Newscoop means that you can have all (or part of) content translated into other language(s). You don't need to create new publication (publications, in the end, must have different urls - site aliases). 

You can do this: in list of issues, you will see option to translate issue - that means you're making version of the issue in different language. It will have same url, same number, just the language parameter will be different. 

Then you can translate individual articles, or create articles specific for the newly introduced language. Either way, you will be asked to specify the section where you want to put articles. If translating existing articles, you will be prompted to also create translation of the section.
    --
    Ljuba Rankovic
    Senior Front End Developer, Sourcefabric
    ljuba.rankovic@sourcefabric.org

http://www.sourcefabric.org
    http://www.twitter.com/Sourcefabric