Airtime for RHEL, CentOS or Fedora
  • We get asked now and again about installs for RHEL, CentOS or Fedora. We don't have an RPM install guide at the moment, as stations are recommended to run Airtime on the officially supported distros of Debian or Ubuntu LTS

Stations that specifically want to run Airtime on RHEL, CentOS or Fedora should use the source tarball and follow the instructions here:

There will almost certainly be some adaptation required to complete an install on a Red Hat based system. In particular, the installation of Liquidsoap 1.0.0 is required, and this might be tricky on those systems.

If you really want to host Airtime yourself from these systems, we'd still suggest that you install Debian squeeze. It's almost certainly less work to adapt your Red Hat knowledge to Debian than it is to run an unsupported distro on a production server.

That said, if the need for RHEL, CentOS or Fedora support is overwhelming, then it would be interesting to know this. And, of course, Airtime is a community project, so if you have any hints or tips for installing on unsupported distros then please share them!

Thanks, Adam

p.s. Thanks to Daniel James for help on this issue (and writing our great manuals!)

Post edited by Adam Thomas at 2012-02-01 06:40:02
  • 33 Comments sorted by
  • +1 Vote for CentOS Support
  • Use Debian unless you're a masochist
  • +1 Vote for CentOS Support
  • Vote Up1Vote Down RyanRyan
    +100 for CentOS support!
  • I have setup all of the server requirements for Airtime v2.1.2 on CentOS 6.2 the only problem im having now is running the minimal install script. is there any other way to run this script without needing debian. All requirements have been successful and I have installed liquidsoap as well.
  • Hi all

Please add support to Centos
    Large number of server have installed this distro

Thank You
  • I don't have a CentOS test server at the moment (Just my live one) but there are some recent instructions on installing LiquidSoap over on http://vittee.com/computer/installing-liquidsoap-an-automation-software-for-internet-radio/

If someone has a spare box to hand to test, that'd be great, if not I'll set up a VM later this week.

• Vote Up0Vote Down RyanRyan
    I'm surprised they have installs for all the desktop linux distributions and none of the real server ones.  Ubuntu and Debian are great for home use, but should never be used on production servers. 

I'm trying to install Airtime on a fresh CentOS 6.2 server.  I have six new servers ready to go, and want to get Airtime running to launch a series of web radio stations.  I could use Centova, but that's more of a hosting solution and I just want a control interface.

Currently, I am working through Vittee's instructions to install LiquidSoap on a CentOS 5.5 server...
    http://vittee.com/computer/installing-liquidsoap-an-automation-software-for-internet-radio/

I got pretty far by installing devel versions for most of the depencies, and successfully got through the "configure" stage.  I'm currently stuck during compile with the following error:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lX11
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

Iaian, if you or someone else want to give it a shot, you can pick up where I left off on this server, or start fresh on one of my other servers.

• @Albert,

The problem with Fedora is that it isn't made for the server market. Apache setup is broken on later versions, and it is hard to set up compared to the Debian/Ubuntu.

I am willing to help anyone who wishes to port Airtime to CentOS. Off the top of my head here are the things that need to be done:
    -Compile Liquidsoap binary
    -Port Debian compliant init.d scripts
    -Create install script/RPM that installs all Airtime dependencies

I'd expect the work to take a few days of work at most.
    Airtime Pro Hosting: http://airtime.pro
  • Reply to @Darnel+Ali:

You will need to install the Airtime database, take a quick look inside the scripts to see how this is done. You will also need to put the php files in an appropriate location. Airtime also has two services (pypo and media-monitor) which run as daemons, you should be able to install these as I do not think they rely on Debian.

If you get stuck at any point, post here.
  • Ok Thank you for your quick response i am using centos 6.2 and have installed using the guides posted. here is whats happening. im installing 1.9.5 to see how it installs then move to 2.1.2

[root@ns1 install_minimal]# ./airtime-install
    Ensuring python-virtualenv version > 1.4.8...Success!

******************************** Install Begin *********************************

*** Existing Airtime Virtualenv Found ***

*** Creating Pypo User ***
    Checking for user pypo
    User already exists.
    New Airtime Install.
    * Creating INI files
    * Installing PHP code to /usr/share/airtime
    * Installing binaries to /usr/lib/airtime
    * Initializing INI files
    * Airtime Version: 1.9.5
    * Storage directory setup
    * Skipping directory already exists: /srv/airtime/stor
    * Giving Apache permission to access /srv/airtime/stor
    PHP Warning:  chgrp(): Unable to find gid for www-data in /var/www/html/airtime-1.9.5/install_minimal/include/AirtimeInstall.php on line 163
    PHP Warning:  chown(): Unable to find uid for www-data in /var/www/html/airtime-1.9.5/install_minimal/include/AirtimeInstall.php on line 164
    * Skipping directory already exists: /srv/airtime/stor/organize
    * Giving Apache permission to access /srv/airtime/stor/organize
    PHP Warning:  chgrp(): Unable to find gid for www-data in /var/www/html/airtime-1.9.5/install_minimal/include/AirtimeInstall.php on line 163
    PHP Warning:  chown(): Unable to find uid for www-data in /var/www/html/airtime-1.9.5/install_minimal/include/AirtimeInstall.php on line 164

*** Database Installation ***
    * Creating Airtime database user
    * Database user 'airtime' created.
    * Creating Airtime database
    createdb: database creation failed: ERROR:  database "airtime" already exists
    * Database 'airtime' already exists.
    DB Error: connect failed
     [nativecode=pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "airtime"] ** pgsql(pgsql)://airtime:PASSWORD@localhost/airtime
    Database connection problem.
    Check if database 'airtime' exists with corresponding permissions.
    DB Error: connect failed
     [nativecode=pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server: FATAL:  Ident authentication failed for user "airtime"] ** pgsql(pgsql)://airtime:PASSWORD@localhost/airtime
    Database connection problem.
    Check if database 'airtime' exists with corresponding permissions.
    [root@ns1 install_minimal]#
  • Ok the first error I can see there is that user "www-data" doesn't exist in CentOS. In Debian this is the default user for the web server, so you will need to update the script and change references from "www-data" to the appropriate user.

"ps aux | grep apache" can tell you the user your apache process is running as.
  • Ok seeing as there is some demand for this, I wrote a simple bash script that sets up all required dependencies (Downloading + Compiling any if need be). 

This was tested on CentOS 6.2 and the basic functions appear to be working. The only thing I'm aware is missing is the init.d scripts for all the daemons, so if you restart your system, the services will need to be started manually from the command-line (service start airtime-playout).

I've put it on github as I'm hoping the community will help improve this script and possibly help with the init.d scripts. Long term I can see this script being cleaned up a little, and repurposed for use inside of an RPM, but until then, this should work fine. 

One last sidenote: This does not mean RHEL/CentOS is being officially supported in anyway by Sourcefabric. However Airtime is an open-source project so what better way to get the ball rolling... :)
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    Nice one

On 23.07.2012, at 06:15, Martin Konecny wrote:

> Ok seeing as there is some demand for this, I wrote a simple bash script that sets up all required dependencies (Downloading + Compiling any if need be).
    >
    > https://github.com/mkonecny/airtime_centos
    >
    > This was tested on CentOS 6.2 and the basic functions appear to be working. The only thing I'm aware is missing is the init.d scripts for all the daemons, so if you restart your system, the services will need to be started manually from the command-line (service start airtime-playout).
    >
    > I've put it on github as I'm hoping the community will help improve this script and possibly help with the init.d scripts. Long term I can see this script being cleaned up a little, and repurposed for use inside of an RPM, but until then, this should work fine.
    >
    > One last sidenote: This does not mean RHEL/CentOS is being officially supported in anyway by Sourcefabric. However Airtime is an open-source project so what better way to get the ball rolling... :)
    >
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    this is a good distro (copycat of rhel) but really poor for media applications...
    a lot of work will be necessary to do this functional ...
    Post edited by Albert FR at 2012-09-17 17:43:35
  • Reply to @Albert+FR:

As Albert mentions it is poor for media applications. Many packages that Airtime requires need to be compiled manually from source. Redhat does not appear to be as interested in providing a good package repository as Debian.
  • The script provided here provides a starting point, but will require some work:

• Ok now I try the script you have provided (Thank You)

CentOs or RH based distro (Fedora) is poor for multimedia but there is more repository (Like RpmFusion ecc....)

If the installation script do only installation of airtime and there is a readme or a guide with necessary packages I can try to create a repository with necessary package (Or to maintain same rpm packages to support airtime and it's deps in RH Based distro)

• I'd love to see CentOS support in 2013.
  • I'm Running CentOS and I've ran your script so that the neccessary packages are installed...
    I get as far as running your script and then trying to install Airtime.... I get this error? Any idea?

Error: 

root@calzo [~]# sudo ~/airtime-2.2.1/install_full/ubuntu/airtime-full-install
    ----------------------------------------------------
     1. Install Packages
    ----------------------------------------------------
    grep: /etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory
    /root/airtime-2.2.1/install_full/ubuntu/airtime-full-install: line 45: /etc/apt/sources.list: No such file or directory
    Post edited by Calzo Houdini at 2013-01-10 10:18:59
  • Vote Up0Vote Down kwebkweb
    +100 for CentOS support!
  • [Centos +1]
    I can not express how much I love this script. I am running icecast2 on a live Centos 6 vps. I originally had Centos 6 desktop installed on my laptop to act as a developmental bridge between my server & desktop. I could not find a suitable icecast client for centos. Once I learned about the lack of multimedia support, I immediately installed Ubuntu on my desktop. I tried IDJC, but it kept crashing during broadcast. Then I tried Mixxx, but it lacked automation & or playlist repeat functions.. THEN I DISCOVERED AIRTIME.. omg! this software rocks!!! Not only does it has program schedules, there is no way to have dead air during broadcast.. So I installed it, imported my music & setup a broadcast schedule. After going on the air, my live radio android app (which is powered by my icecast) is live 24/7.

Here's the deal, to keep my station up and streaming, my laptop must remain on at all times. If I could install Airtime on my Centos vps, I would be able to run airtime on my live server instead of on my laptop. In addition, I'd be able to access my airtime platform over the internet & I would be able to import media from my website's media folder. To sum it up, Airtime for live server environments would be a huge plus for the community/project. Don't get me wrong, this project is the best hands down but Centos/RHEL support is something that should be seriously considered. Even if that particular version carries a price tag for the end user/customer. With that being said (again) +1 Centos    
  • Hi Ricky,

did you got anything workable for your environment? I am also looking to get Airtime for Centos (Rocks Cluster). I am trying to compile it from sources. No much time however for this but seems to me it is doable.

www.actionsch.com - Bringing talents in life!
    + Action Radio School +
  • Hello Alex,

I am sorry for the delay in my response, after updating the latest version of airtime, I figured I'd drop by to see if anyone have came up with a solution. To answer your question, I have not yet got airtime to run on my centos vps environment. I have searched & researched to find zero solutions. therefore, I still have icecast installed on my vps, alongside my website, I have moved airtime from my laptop to a core 2 duo Zentyal Linux Server (tower) & My streams are fed to my android app. Hopefully something will come along soon, although it may seem like a longshot (lol)
  • Thanks, Ricky.

I started my own "porting" based on 2.5.1 distro. In this time I am not yet finished, but what I got - many out-of-box scripts are using non RHEL commands, so I am doing proper replacement...
    Will post here once get anything stable to be replicated.

Thanks,
    Alex.
    www.actionsch.com - Bringing talents in life!
    + Action Radio School +
  • +1 centos
  • For what it's worth, I've been working to get Airtime working on Centos.  I gave up on 6.5 last week and have moved onto 7.  ocaml, liquidsoap, etc installed just fine.  No issues.  "Working through airtime install script at this point.
  • Hello everybody.
    Any news since last 3y regarding install Airtime on CentOS?
    I've get space on server for free from my friend to run my radio station, but unfortunately (for me) server is running on CentOS (6.5 or 7). I have no root access, so any installation tasks has to be done by my colleague. If you understand, I don't want to waste his time, so I'm looking for easiest way to install Airtime on that system. So... any news? solutions? RTD packages? 
    I was trying to install it locally on CentOS, on my laptop, but after few days of work - no luck :(
  • It would be quite easy to take a standard distro, install airtime & MIXXX and repack the distro. There is a command for that in Ubuntu and I guess the others. Call it AirtOS, Airbuntu or Airian :O and be home in time for dinner. Why has nobody done it?

Post edited by John Chewter at 2015-02-11 20:45:40
    No longer using Airtime or Libretime.
  • I would also like to see RPM's available for CentOS. Debian isn't the be all and end-all for servers, and the propagation of Airtime would be increased if wasn't just limited to Debian or Ubuntu. Yes, one can try to build packages from source, but only a very small percentage of people are going to have that type of Linux expertise and available time to tinker with things for days to get Airtime installed. Then when an Airtime update comes along, one would have to build from source all over again.

"It would be quite easy to take a standard distro, install airtime and
    repack the distro, Call it Airbuntu or Airian and be home in time for
    dinner. Why has nobody done it?"

I could see people putting crap in that they think is worthwhile, whereas the next user doesn't. Then the next user adds crap that another user doesn't want. There'd have to be a concerted effort amongst a group of people to decide what the distro came with. Then, who's going to support it and repackage it for free, every time, say, CentOS/Airtime comes out with an update?
    Post edited by Bob Larson at 2015-02-11 20:40:57
  • I see this post was started in 2012 and now it's May 2017 and I still don't see valid instructions for installing on CentOS6x or 7x, is there any effort for RedHat based systems?

Several of the installation links offered by others are broken and as skilled as I am I don't have the skills to create an RPM or to attempt installation with out good instruction.

Anyone have an alternative that I can use on my CentOS6.x server? I don't have the money currently to use Centova and the current setup only allows me one stream 2 at best if I cheat and run SAMS Broadcaster on 2 Windows PCs.

Tommy TBones
    Owner
    440MUSIC.COM
    The Granddaddy of Internet Radio for
    Unknown, Unsigned and Indie Music
    Tommy TBones
    440MUSIC.COM
    The Granddaddy of Internet Radio
    for Unkown, Unsigned and Indie Music
    Live March 1999
  • Vote Up-1Vote Down Albert FRAlbert FR
    That would be more difficult to install airtime on RHEL or Centos