Installation Issue smarty.class.php
  • I'm trying to install Newscoop on Hostgator and was able to get PHP 5.3 setup. However, in the error logs they told me that there may be some files missing because of the following error:

[21-Aug-2012 00:19:47 UTC] PHP Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required 'smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php' (include_path='/home/surash/public_html/classes:/home/surash/public_html/classes/Extension:/home/surash/public_html/template_engine/classes:/home/surash/public_html/template_engine/metaclasses:/home/surash/public_html/application/../library:/home/surash/public_html/library:/home/surash/public_html/include:.:/opt/php53/lib/php') in /home/surash/public_html/install/classes/CampTemplate.php on line 13

Am I missing some setup files or is this error a configuration issue?
    Post edited by Andrey Podshivalov at 2012-08-21 16:24:50
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov
  • I have no clue on what the solution is in the discussion link above. The answers in this forum are so cryptic that unless I am an expert in programming and understanding theserver-side, it's almost impossible to figure out how to install this program.

Could you please give me an answer to the issue above? I have been trying to install this program first on Godaddy.com, now on Hostgator. I recommend that if these are common issues on hosting servers then there should be a section in the installation manual that covers these issues so it doesn't take months to get this program installed. I'm frustrated at this point.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Andrey PodshivalovAndrey Podshivalov

it doesn't take months to get this program installed. I'm frustrated at this point.

http://www.newscoop.pro

• Vote Up0Vote Down Sava TatićSava Tatić
    Andrey, Suzanne has said in another thread that newscoop.pro is too much for her budget.

Suzanne, Newscoop installation, as you have seen,is tricky on shared hosting setups. Hostgator was recommended by a community member here (Rick Wilson, whom you addressed in the other thread), so my impression was that it had gone without a hitch. Perhaps you should try sending him a private message to see if he can help.

• Yes, i sent him a private message and have not received a reply yet. Hostgator was very helpful in getting PHP 5.3 working for me and told me that it appears that some files are missing as the installation is trying to call for the following: 'smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php' . Could you at least tell me if there is supposed to be a folder and file called 'smarty/libs/Smarty.class.php' ? It appears that you are pushing for folks to pay for your hosted solution instead of supporting the open source installation. I've alread spent money on godaddy, then had to cancel the account, now i've spent money on Hostgator and there's no where in your documentation that says shared hosting is not really an option. Your software looks awesome and i would really like to use it but can't afford $100+ per month. Hopefully i can get an answer today on my question above.
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Sava TatićSava Tatić
    Suzanne,

I can assure you we are not deliberately making the shared-hosting install difficult to make people go for our solution (even though it's our bread and butter that helps us make our software). Shared hosting setups are myriad and we have no way of testing them all. For people who'd like to host on their own, we recommend virtual private servers (VPS). Newscoop will work out of the box on any VPS and only on some shared hosting.

As far as I know,  VPSs start at 13 EUR per month, which is more than shared hosting, but then again you have full control of everything.

Also, there is no closed and open source version of our software. What people are paying for with our .pro offerings is the service and the guarantee that everything will always be working up to snuff. Admittedly, newscoop.pro is too expensive for smaller projects, but that situation will be changing as we get around to improving our provisioning etc. 

Lastly, as a non-profit, Sourcefabric is open to providing special pricing for worthy journalistic projects. If you have one of those, please write us and we'll see what we can do for you.
    Post edited by Sava Tatić at 2012-08-22 14:44:37
  • O.k. I understand. What i will do is cancel my hostgator account (they have 30 or 60 day guarantee). Their VPS is too pricey so i will research some VPS companies that are reputable and affordable. Thanks for your response and hopefully i won't have an issue installing on the VPS (as i'm not familiar with non-shared servers).
  • @Suzanne:
    I did exactly that a little while ago, and found
    http://www.linode.com and http://rackspace.com to be the top notch offerings

(so now you know what I believe are the top notch offerings :) )

You're going to need someone to take care of the domain as well, as Linode (for instance) does not 
    do that. I use http://dyn.com to take care of my domains and DNS. Not the cheapest, but in my view, the best.
    Post edited by Jobe Lawn at 2012-08-26 11:10:26