offline Booktype environment?
  • I have another bone to pick... just playing with ideas to see what community thinks.
    Is there a "market" (read: interest) in offline Booktype tool?

I am thinking of a tool to write book while you're away from internet and when you have access just sync what you have written?
    What do you think?
  • 6 Comments sorted by
  • Vote Up0Vote Down adamadam
    yes very much so

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 5:58 PM, Boštjan Jerko <<br />booktype-dev@lists.sourcefabric.org> wrote:

> I have another bone to pick... just playing with ideas to see what
    > community thinks.
    > Is there a "market" (read: interest) in offline Booktype tool?
    >
    > I am thinking of a tool to write book while you're away from internet and
    > when you have access just sync what you have written?
    > What do you think?
    >
    >
  • Thinking about portable version of Booktype made me think that if you really want a portable environment you should have Linux on stick (not just wiki).

I guess that is a bit far-fetched so I guess proper setup of written document which you can then import would be a better solution.
  • In my case, I could have needed this for my copy editors. People who are good with language editing are not always computer wizards though. And they don't all have constant access to the internet. Linux on a stick would have been too complicated for them. It was hard enough to get them to move a file from the Download folder in their home directory to the project folder of the book. I think it would have worked if they had had access to the chapters they were editing through the local storage feature of their browser.They would continue editing the chapter they were in, and then hit a "sync" button once they were reconnected with the internet.

You may be thinking of a different use case scenario though...
  • That's an interesting thought, but I guess it's quite a deviation from the ideas behind Booktype, but since I'm not part of the team I'm not sure if there is not something like that in planning.
  • I'm just thinking aloud. And it would for example make things more complicated in terms of figuring out when a chapter is checked out. I think even the Google Docs people dropped the idea of making documents offline editable as it's harder to get right than one would initially think. 
  • Import and export facilities could do. And synchronization code on the online side, which would integrate the uploaded versions into an existing project, and would then provide a new download to import it back to the client.