× Warning! This forum is in archival status. New contributions may not work.
[campcaster-support] importing files
  • Hi

    I enjoyed Ferenc's tutorial video. Unfortunately, the bit about mass
    importing of audio files doesn't work for me!

    The script in opt/campcaster/bin isn't the same as the one in the video
    (I'm running Campcaster Kotor and installed it via Synaptic Package
    Manager). I've tried using it in Terminal and doing the desktop launcher
    thing, but without success.

    Any hints and tips? (I'm running the latest Ubuntu)

    Thanks
    Jimmy

    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  • 9 Comments sorted by
  • Hi,

    Jimmy Black wrote on 03/04/2007 12:48 AM:
    > I enjoyed Ferenc's tutorial video. Unfortunately, the bit about mass

    It's not mine; it's Micz's.


    > importing of audio files doesn't work for me!
    > The script in opt/campcaster/bin isn't the same as the one in the video

    Yes, the script has been renamed and works a bit differently. Now it's
    sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l file [file ...]
    or
    sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -c file [file ...]

    The first version makes link(s) to the file(s), the second version makes
    copies of them inside Campcaster's own storage. Copying is useful when
    the file is on a CD or USB stick etc. You can also use --link and
    --copy instead of -l and -c. Sorry about the documentation -- it will
    be updated eventually. Smile

    You can get usage information about any script in /opt/campcaster/bin
    (and almost all commands in Linux) by typing " --help".

    For the desktop link, change the Command field to
    gksudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l
    (or -c).

    Ferenc
  • Thanks Ferenc ... sorry Micz! I'll try your suggestions and let you know
    how it goes.

    Jimmy


    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:06:32 -0000, Ferenc Gerlits
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Jimmy Black wrote on 03/04/2007 12:48 AM:
    >> I enjoyed Ferenc's tutorial video. Unfortunately, the bit about mass
    >
    > It's not mine; it's Micz's.
    >
    >
    >> importing of audio files doesn't work for me!
    >> The script in opt/campcaster/bin isn't the same as the one in the video
    >
    > Yes, the script has been renamed and works a bit differently. Now it's
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l file [file ...]
    > or
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -c file [file ...]
    >
    > The first version makes link(s) to the file(s), the second version makes
    > copies of them inside Campcaster's own storage. Copying is useful when
    > the file is on a CD or USB stick etc. You can also use --link and
    > --copy instead of -l and -c. Sorry about the documentation -- it will
    > be updated eventually. Smile
    >
    > You can get usage information about any script in /opt/campcaster/bin
    > (and almost all commands in Linux) by typing " --help".
    >
    > For the desktop link, change the Command field to
    > gksudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l
    > (or -c).
    >
    > Ferenc
    >



    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  • Hi Ferenc

    I still haven't cracked this. For example, the files I want to mass import
    are in home/music/Bellowhead/Burlesque/

    How should I put this into Terminal? And how do I make the Desktop
    Launcher work?

    Thanks

    Jimmy



    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 10:06:32 -0000, Ferenc Gerlits
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Jimmy Black wrote on 03/04/2007 12:48 AM:
    >> I enjoyed Ferenc's tutorial video. Unfortunately, the bit about mass
    >
    > It's not mine; it's Micz's.
    >
    >
    >> importing of audio files doesn't work for me!
    >> The script in opt/campcaster/bin isn't the same as the one in the video
    >
    > Yes, the script has been renamed and works a bit differently. Now it's
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l file [file ...]
    > or
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -c file [file ...]
    >
    > The first version makes link(s) to the file(s), the second version makes
    > copies of them inside Campcaster's own storage. Copying is useful when
    > the file is on a CD or USB stick etc. You can also use --link and
    > --copy instead of -l and -c. Sorry about the documentation -- it will
    > be updated eventually. Smile
    >
    > You can get usage information about any script in /opt/campcaster/bin
    > (and almost all commands in Linux) by typing " --help".
    >
    > For the desktop link, change the Command field to
    > gksudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l
    > (or -c).
    >
    > Ferenc
    >



    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  • Jimmy Black wrote on 03/05/2007 01:49 PM:
    > I still haven't cracked this. For example, the files I want to mass
    > import are in home/music/Bellowhead/Burlesque/
    > How should I put this into Terminal?

    sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l \
    $HOME/music/Bellowhead/Burlesque


    > And how do I make the Desktop
    > Launcher work?

    You create the desktop launcher, and then drag-and-drop files onto it
    from the file manager.

    Ferenc
  • Hi Ferenc

    The terminal script works ... thanks.

    As for the desktop launcher, possibly my problem is I don't know enough
    about Linux. I've created the Desktop launcher and pasted the command you
    sent me into the "Command" line. This is what I pasted in ...


    sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l \

    But when I drag and drop onto the new launcher, nothing at all happens.
    Any ideas?

    Jimmy



    On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 13:16:25 -0000, Ferenc Gerlits
    wrote:

    > Jimmy Black wrote on 03/05/2007 01:49 PM:
    >> I still haven't cracked this. For example, the files I want to mass
    >> import are in home/music/Bellowhead/Burlesque/
    >> How should I put this into Terminal?
    >
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l \
    > $HOME/music/Bellowhead/Burlesque
    >
    >
    > > And how do I make the
    > Desktop
    >> Launcher work?
    >
    > You create the desktop launcher, and then drag-and-drop files onto it
    > from the file manager.
    >
    > Ferenc
    >
    >



    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  • Jimmy Black wrote on 03/05/2007 05:27 PM:
    > about Linux. I've created the Desktop launcher and pasted the command
    > you sent me into the "Command" line. This is what I pasted in ...
    > sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l \
    > But when I drag and drop onto the new launcher, nothing at all happens.

    The Command should be

    gksudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l

    there is no \ at the end, though that probably did not hurt; sudo
    instead of gksudo is the problem. Check the "run in terminal" box; it
    works without that, but you won't be able to see the progress of the
    file import. If you are using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, you need
    "kdesu" instead of "gksudo".

    Ferenc
  • Hi Ferenc

    I pasted your command into the launcher and that gets me a little further
    ... I drag and drop a folder onto the new icon, I have to supply my Linux
    root password, then the terminal window flashes up and then vanishes. The
    import doesn't happen. I'm using Ubuntu 6.10.

    I can do this using Terminal with the command you sent yesterday, but I'd
    really like to get drag and drop working as it's much easier to
    demonstrate to people. So if you have any more ideas ...

    On another question, is there a way to stop Ubuntu asking me for my root
    password when doing mass imports? In a radio station setting, I wouldn't
    want to give out my root password ... but people would need it to do mass
    imports ...

    The good news is that I have got Campcaster working with two sound cards
    and I begin to see how it all works!

    Thanks

    Jimmy






    When I use the command you sent yesterday in Terminal, that works, but I
    still have to supply my password.


    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 09:54:48 -0000, Ferenc Gerlits
    wrote:

    > Jimmy Black wrote on 03/05/2007 05:27 PM:
    >> about Linux. I've created the Desktop launcher and pasted the command
    >> you sent me into the "Command" line. This is what I pasted in ...
    >> sudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l \
    >> But when I drag and drop onto the new launcher, nothing at all happens.
    >
    > The Command should be
    >
    > gksudo /opt/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l
    >
    > there is no \ at the end, though that probably did not hurt; sudo
    > instead of gksudo is the problem. Check the "run in terminal" box; it
    > works without that, but you won't be able to see the progress of the
    > file import. If you are using Kubuntu instead of Ubuntu, you need
    > "kdesu" instead of "gksudo".
    >
    > Ferenc
    >



    --
    Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/
  • hey i have write a zenity script for Campcaster mass import utility
    
    #!/bin/bash
    
    # mostra la finestra di selezione file e assegna il file scelto
    # che zenity manda allo standard output alla variabile "filescelto"
    # notare i "backtick" -> ` `
    if zenity --question --text="Vuoi importare più file in contemporanea nella libreria?\n
    Prima di avviare l'importazione assicurati che i meta dati delle tracce siano il più possibile completi e corretti!"; then
        filescelto=`zenity --file-selection --directory --title="Seleziona la cartella da importare"`
    else
    exit
    fi
    # prende il valore di ritorno del comando precedente
    ritorno=$?
    
    # controlla se si è premuto OK o Annulla
    if [ "$ritorno" -ne 0 ]; then
      # è stato premuto annulla o chiusa la finestra
      exit 1
    else
    $countfiles=$(ls "$filescelto" | wc -l)
      # è stato premuto OK
      xterm -hold -e sh /usr/lib/campcaster/bin/campcaster-import -l "$filescelto"
    fi
    

    save this in a file "importer.sh"
    create a "sender"(?) and link the script!
  • Vote Up0Vote Down Micz FlorMicz Flor
    Posts: 184Administrator
    cool! my first christmas present Smile

    are you using campcaster in action? or are you planning to do so?