Just in case.. New Install
  • I don't see a lot of things either here or in the documentation that describe the best operating conditions. Could anyone comment on my plan? Feel free to point me to a FAQ or another post about this stuff. I can't seem to find anything about these things.

I am trying to put together a radio broadcast for an event at a fairgrounds for 6 days. We're building the Ramsey FM25B. Someone thought we could just plug in a CD player or MP3 player, but I want to do something better. So I'm going to try to get this set up by July1.

I have an 850Mhz or so HP desktop that I recently replaced. Having just read that I need three sound cards, I'm going to add a couple new PCI sound cards and maybe keep another close by incase the HP's audio isn't supported. I'm going to install the latest stable Debian release on it. Then I'll load LS as directed.

Now the questions.

Do I need to configure Apache for the web interface or should I disable it? I'm a SUSE guy at the moment so I don't know what's going to be pre-configured in the base install.

Do I need to install MySQL or another preferred DB before I begin the LS install? What's your preferred DB?

Are there audio cards that are sure to install the first time out the gate? I see a Turtle Beach looking pretty nice and cheap at Best Buy. Most of my linux systems don't have any sound on them, so this is new territory.

Are there any problems with running from the Speaker Out to an FM Transmitter, generally? Do you find that you need to add some filtering?

I don't see a way to route in a live feed. I was hoping to be able to do this. It would actually make it simpler to record the live sessions and play them back another time. But if it's actually possible and I can get the time to work it out, I'd like the option.

• 1 Comment sorted by
  • I've had to give up on getting LS ready for the event, I'm afraid. If I had some idea of which sound cards worked best, I will probably give it another shot. Setting up ALSA with what I've got has just been a waste of 25 hours of effort with no result.

I'll keep checking back when I think of it. It does look like a promising project.