Is LiveSupport right for me?
  • I run an internet-only streaming radio station.

- Can LiveSupport feed output to icecast, rather than the soundcard?
    - Can my DJs connect remotely during their scheduled timeslots and broadcast live using shoutcast/icecast tools?

- Eric
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • I am trying to do the same thing, run a private community radio station, online only, from a colo'd server via shout or icecast. We would like to have the DJs be able to log in, use the online library, or their own, and still inject live voice overs.

So far, this has proven to be difficult.

We are trying he old ways, DJ's using SAM3 or winamp+DSP plugins to stream to the shoutcast server, which -does- work, but, two DJ's cannot use it at the same time (you must boot someone who leaves it running), and the main library on the server, while accessible via Ampache, means they must download or stream in & out the same music, (and stream it -back- again from the shoutcast server to hear it in live mode if they want, there -is- a large delay from buffers/encoding)

Does anyone know of an all or mostly-all server side ice/shoutcast solution that would accomplish this?

Ampache can create playlists and send them to an icecast server via ices, etc, but, that does nothing for segue or live voice overs, etc... shoutcast only allows one inbound stream at a time, not sure why or if icecast gets around that.

Live support looks awesome, but, I would need to know how to output to a cast server, and, it doesn't compile at all for me anyways. (Centos 4.3+cpanel)
  • I like the scheduling features of LiveSupport -- I need to be able to schedule shows -- Ideally, the DJs will only be allowed to connect to the server during their scheduled time-slots, and it would be great for those timeslots to be editable via a simple web interface.

I'm fairly sure it would be trivial to swap out server configuration files with different connection/admin passwords for the different scheduled DJs, but I don't have the man power to pull it off, at the moment.

As for voiceover on the server-hosted library, that would rock, but there is going to be a little bit of lag involved, of course. Shoutcast / Icecast just are not designed to work with a low-latency monitoring environment, and the quality of the network has a big part to play in that, as well.

I could envision a cross-platform radio-show interface that would allow DJs to create a live show using any combination of local, remotely hosted, remotely streamed (via skype, perhaps?) and live input audio, complete with send/insert effects, and a simple dj mixer. Something like that would be terrific, but would require quite a bit of development effort. =)

• You can try mediabox404.

This project can do what you want: it is make for a webradio working with webinterface.
    http://www.mediabox404.org

I hope livesupport would do better in a near future for a real fm or am station and webradio