Setting up 2 and 3 machine systems.
  • I am a new Livesupport user. After reading the manual I saw that it is recomended to run as at least two machines. Is this for performance reasons - to avoid dropout on the stations connection to the transmitter?

Following that advice, I have taken the ISO and installed the Station on one machine and the Studio on another machine. I have not, however, gotten multiple audio cards in each machine.

My understanding is that on a two or three computer setup there are four functions:

1. Scheduler
    2. Authentication server
    3. Storage server
    4. User interface (either Web or GTK app).

I am a bit confused in that the manual suggests that both the Station machine and the Studio machine are connected to the transmitter and the antenna. Would this normaly be true?

Since there is no scheduler on the Studio machine, I assume that every setup needs a station machine (with the scheduler) but does not necessarily need a Studio machine (since you can program the Studio machine via the Web).

Question: Does this imply that the postgres database is always/usualy on the Station machine?

So in the general case (thanks to Micz Flor's comment):

ON THE STORAGE SERVER:

The scheduler is set in storageServer/var/conf.php as schedulerUrlHost
    Would it be true that the storage machine does not care about where the authentication server is or where the studio machine is?

Question: What is the relationship of the Storage server to the authentication server?

ON THE STATION MACHINE:
    The storage machine URL or IP number is entered in two places:
    In the file /etc/scheduler.xml
    authenticationClientFactory/webAuthentication/location[server]
    storageClientFactory/webStorage/location[server]

This seems to assume that the storage server has the authentication server (OK in my case with 2 machines but if you have 3 machines is this still true?

On the ISO is /opt/livesuport.

Question: Are there several authentication servers in the system (one on the Storage machine and one on the Station machine)? Or is there just one authentication server for the whole system?

Question: What about the xmlRpcDaemon is it always connecting to the scheduler (Station) machine?

ON THE STUDIO MACHINE:

I take it that the GTK app (the long thin one with the big play and stop buttons) We want to be running is:
    /opt/livesupport/bin/gLiveSupport -c /opt/livesupport/etc/gLiveSupport.xml

Question 4: Does this mean that all the GTK client gets ALL it's configuration from gLiveSupport.xml?

My experience is that unless I set the xmlRpcDaemon value to the station machine I get "Authentication server not available"

But no matter how I set the other two server attributes in gLiveSupport.xml the app will start but it when I try to log in it closes (crashes?). I also tried running postInstallStation.sh on the Studio machine but that did not seem to do the trick. It seemed to want to run apache and postgres on the studio machine, which I had done before and it helped me get the GTK client running - but it did not get me communicating to the Station machine (which I think is the goal).