[livesupport-dev] Smart playlists
  • Hi all,
    something as RFC for smart playlists feature:
    (based on discusson with Dough)

It would be implemented as wizard with several steps, all steps have
    own process method in both PHP and XMLRPC interface.

step 1):
    criteria form (similar as in search),
    input for duration of generated playlist,
    input for fading values,
    (+input for pause length between clips ?),
    input for some playlist metadata
    step 2):
    number of files matching the criteria,
    warning if it's not enough to fill duration entered in step 1),
    possibility for return to step 1)
    step 3):
    playlist creation - random select from matching set to fill
    entered duration (with respect to pauses and fading values)
    + generate the playlist, save it to storage
    There is needed to have some cut-off on last clip (or something similar
    to fit the playlist to entered duration)

Question to Akos or Ferenc:
    Is possible (in playlist format) to fade out the last clip in playlist
    to zero and stop before the clip end? (for cut-off)
    Or the only one possibility is fading out stops on the clip end?

Tomas Hlava
    th@red2head.com

------------------------------------------
    Posted to Phorum via PhorumMail
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Hi,

I would like to comment to this 'RFC' from the perspective of the specific project I am currently working on. This may not be a typical usecase, but maybe it is.

My users want to setup a 24/7 net.radio station. They have 2 staff (mostly to coordinate volunteers), 15 volunteers (in training), and 1 parttime webmaster.

Instead of creating actual playlists, we are for this project thinking much more in the direction of 'profile'. Spread over the day (and week), there would be different timeslots, each with their own profile.

A profile could be something like this:
    (pure fiction, just for illustration)

Weekdays, 9:00 - 13:00h
    4 blocks of 1 hour, each:
    * Talking Clock announcing time
    * Station call
    * Random song from Artist of the Week
    * Jingle
    * Play random interview (mp3) file from smb://localwindowsorlinuxserver/currentinterviews that was not played in the last 4 hours

begin loop
    * Least played song from Belgian-based group
    * Random song from least-played artist, genre: World Music
    * Random song in genre: World Music
    * Popular song from genre Movie Soundtrack from '80s (that was not played in last 24 hours)
    * station call
    end loop (loop until hour is finished)

I do not want to claim that this will make interesting audio. I think that boring commercial radiostations might use a similar way. Preferably. every hour of broadcast should be carefully composed. But for this project, the 24/7 livestream creates a framework to serve the listeners wellmade very interesting interviews and short radio documentaries. But the volunteers and staff must be able to focus on the content of the interviews and radio documentaries. They should not have to worry about music programming. They should just add new music to the catalogue all the time. And reports/interviews.

I would really like to know whether this is a feature that would be helpful to others. Does this fit in the livesupport project somehow? Would someone be interested in developing this?

Best,
    Gerbrand
  • Hi,

I would like to comment to this 'RFC' from the perspective of the specific project I am currently working on. This may not be a typical usecase, but maybe it is.

My users want to setup a 24/7 net.radio station. They have 2 staff (mostly to coordinate volunteers), 15 volunteers (in training), and 1 parttime webmaster.

Instead of creating actual playlists, we are for this project thinking much more in the direction of 'profile'. Spread over the day (and week), there would be different timeslots, each with their own profile.

* Station call
    * Jingle
    * Play random interview (mp3) file from smb://localwindowsorlinuxserver/currentinterviews that was not played in the last 4 hours

begin loop
    * Popular song from genre Movie Soundtrack from '80s (that was not played in last 24 hours)
    * station call

I do not want to claim that this will make interesting audio. I think that boring commercial radiostations might use a similar way. Preferably. every hour of broadcast should be carefully composed. But for this project, the 24/7 livestream creates a framework to serve the listeners wellmade very interesting interviews and short radio documentaries. But the volunteers and staff must be able to focus on the content of the interviews and radio documentaries. They should not have to worry about music programming. They should just add new music to the catalogue all the time. And reports/interviews.

I would really like to know whether this is a feature that would be helpful to others. Does this fit in the livesupport project somehow? Would someone be interested in developing this?

Best,
    Gerbrand
  • Hi,

* Station call
    * Jingle

begin loop
    * station call

Best,
    Gerbrand
  • oops - sorry.
    i am just new here, have not even installed the 0.9 and alraedy bobing
    you with messages. it was not my intention to send the same message 3
    times. I should have taken more care using the phorum, I guess.
    Apologies!
    gerbrand

--
    Gerbrand Oudenaarden +31 (0)6 - 53 151 921
    Engage! Tactical Media http://www.engagetacticalmedia.org

On 20-apr-05, at 2:24, livesupport-dev@eserver2.mdlf.org wrote:

> This message was sent from: LS Development.
    >
    > ----------------------------------------------------------------
    >
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to comment to this 'RFC' from the perspective of the
    > specific
    > project I am currently working on. This may not be a typical usecase,
    > but
    > maybe it is.

> [...]

------------------------------------------