Login failed and Mysql PASSWORD function
  • Dear all,

I had problems of 'Login failed', so I tried to update the password by hand in the database. I received a not very descriptive warning, but very apparent results: different return values for PASSWORD in UPDATE SET Password=PASSWORD('admn00') and SELECT PASSWORD('admn00').

Checking out the documentation, I found at http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/encryption-functions.html

Note: The PASSWORD() function is used by the authentication system in MySQL Server; you should not use it in your own applications. For that purpose, use MD5() or SHA1() instead. [...]

I changed PASSWORD to MD5 in the User class, and everything worked fine (after updating the 'admin' password, of course).

It seems that the internal security hashing algorithm changed in Mysql from 4.0 to 4.1, but it's odd that it could give different results from within its own interface.

Best regards,

Armando

PS I've been in the media business for some time, and your software has been quite a discovery (through Props, btw). Congratulations. I was worried that Java was too advanced for small publications, only to find that you are using C++ in a service and recommending 'root' access...