Re: [campsite-support] issue.tpl's not included in templates 1-4 downloads
  • Hi Loretta,

Why are you asking for a issue.tpl file ? Templates demo are ok and
    they do not need such a file. I just downloaded the demos, installed
    them locally and they all work fine.

What procedure are you using to install template demos?

Best,

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 10:44 AM, wrote:
    > Author: lfloyd1
    > Link:
  • In the foggy cryptic documentation it said load template. It says select issue.tpl.article.tpl and article.tpl When you add an issue software asks for default template Front Pge Template. Article Template and Article Template. Since there is no template called front page template I assumed this is where I select the issue.tpl referred to in the documentation. The details are so brief what else was I to assume? So I tried to find an issue.tpl to select for the default front page selection. But one only existed for sample template five and it didn't work. After selecting default templates I get a page of jibberish for results. I tried to follow the cryptic unexplanatory direstions in the documentation to the best of my engineering abilities. Any real help in setting up a publication would be appreciated. The libk to the message you sent me does not work.

Loretta
  • Hi Loretta,

I can see you did not answer my question, so it is not still clear to me what exactly is the problem you are facing off. So, if you are trying to install any template demo and do not work for you, please tell us what is the procedure you are following.

When Campsite ask you to select a front page template, it does not mean your template file must be called frontpage.tpl, same for issue, section and article. You well could create a template file named, let's say, story.tpl and make it your article template by selecting it from the dropdown menu in the issue configuration screen. That is why template demos do not necessarily have template files named explicitly frontpage.tpl and issue.tpl.

It would be great if you provide us links to the documentation pages you find confusing/unclear so that we can see what is wrong in there and do a better job. We are always happy trying to improve our stuff.

Thank you,
  • Installing the Demo Templates
    We provide a few demo sites to get you started: pick one from looking at the screenshots, and then download them here.

Restore the demo package using the campsite-restore command. For more details read "Restoring a backup archive" in Backup chapter. All demo packages have the following default account: "admin", with password "admn00".

Do not forget to add your site alias to the publication defined in the demo package: Content/Publication menu in the admin interface. For more details read the chapter "Creating a Publication".

Creating a New Issue
    Once you have successfully created your first publication, click on its name (e.g. "Prague Times"). This will lead you to the 'Add new issue' option. Once you click this, and if this is your very first issue you are creating, you will see:

The Name is the name of the issue in the Language you specify underneath. The Number is a unique identifier for this issue. If this is the first issue you've ever published, then "1" will be fine. Note, however, that the issue number cannot be changed once it is specified. If you are planning to add older issues of your newspaper/static-HTML site at a later stage to the same Campsite publication, you may consider continuing the series. For example, if you just published issue 154 of the "Prague Times" in static HTML before moving to Campsite, you could assign number 155 to the first issue you are creating within Campsite.

The URL Name is only useful if you are using the "short names" for the URL type of your publication (see "Creating a Publication chapter" for an explanation of this). This name will show up in the browser address bar. For example, if you enter "2005_11" here, the address for the issue might look like this: "http://www.prague-times.com/2005_11".

If this is not the first issue you've created, you will see a different screen:

"Use the structure of the previous issues" will be the one to choose once you are ready to publish additional issues of your publication, because it allows you to automatically create a new issue with the same sections as the preceding one. The sections will be created but they will be empty, so that you can begin to add articles immediately. You should change the name of the new issue, because it will start out with the same name as the last issue. The templates, however, are not copied, so the new issue must be linked to a template for the front page (see the NOTE below for more details).
    NOTE: It is possible to keep the look for the old editions and at the same time to have a different look for the new ones. There are a few steps you have to take:

Create the new templates in a separate directory

Go to the Issue Configure screen and select the new issue, section and article templates for the issue (e.g. /new/issue.tpl, /new/section.tpl and /new/article.tpl).

Within your templates, make sure to create links to issue, section and article templates by using "uri" (see "Displaying the URL" in "Template Language Reference" chapter) instead of manually writing the link content. In other words, do this:
    <a href="{{ uri }}">link</a>

These are the instructions I attempted to follow