You have got to be kidding me...
  • Allow me to start by saying that I, as a programmer (primarily PLCs), can appreciate the hard work that goes into creating software and control logic. I am always looking at automation/playout software to use at the radio stations whose IT systems I manage or assist with and at the radio station I started in my area. Airtime looked very promising but it *appears* the basic functionality just isn't there without creating/modifying the underlying scripts. I'm the last person who would be afraid to jump in and start doing so and, in fact, I did. Perhaps I'm missing something and I'm hoping this post will engage others to jump in and prove me wrong because I would LOVE to use Airtime.

ROTATIONS
    Airtime Pro is, according to something I saw, supposed to have a rotations feature. I tried Sourcefabric's online demo and didn't see that feature anywhere. Even if it did, I can't use an online service for feeding a transmitter. A non-functioning Internet connection isn't an excuse for dead air. I can understand the community version not including certain features, but at least make the Pro version available for self-hosting.

Yes, there are script modifications you can make to simulate rotations. I tried that but timed events, such as the Legal ID which needs to be placed close to or at the TOTH played over the top of whatever song was playing. My other problem with it was that this method also results in nothing being shown in Airtime since nothing is being played in Airtime, just liquidsoap.

I'll edit this post as I remember more. This was the BIG issue for me but I know there were more. I'm just hoping others have real solutions and that I'm just missing something.

Chris
  • 4 Comments sorted by
  • Nope.
    You fall in the same trap as others.Airtime is an open source.just like rivendell,you add what you want.Even Sams used to be like that and Mixxx is like that .

Where you fall in the trap is that a lot of people become critics and a lot who think they have the know how ,thinks nobody should talk to them.
    So I sometimes shut my beak in here.

You see Google never complain that linux is crap,neither apple and the many phone companies and others who are now using linux and other applications.

Now if the scripts are not up to what you want there are many forums to show what you have and people might just rewrite the scripts for you.

if you are not a developer or willing to get your hands in the roll,then I can definitely assure you that airtime provide the best backend you can have.
    Just use it with whatever you want. from Itunes to Mixxx(recommended) ,nicecast simplestcast etc.

• The demo version you refered to is OUTDATED and not the pro version ,its only labeled so. It is 2.5.1.6 ,it has not been upgrade. Previous developers use to have a development version (dev) and a demo(demo) version seperate.Then Money(the root of all...) came in , and a lot of notes and things changed and disappear. 
    • The Scripts I contributed to are not to run the radio station they are just fillersfor when nothing is schedule and prevent dead air,use the Airtime scheduler  to do your programming

Finally here is a snapshots of what my test  and improvement look like.

Also I am including a php script I found in the packages for 2.5.1g it is for rotation,Its nothing new athough they included it in the pro-version I am told and made it look so great.Its one of those notes which disappeared ,maybe if it was put here a long time ago some one would have solved the rotation issue.CHEEKY

Oh its also in the forked version

1280 x 1024 - 87K
    1280 x 1024 - 70K
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • notes on the auto schedule

line 78 ,the field created was missing

$columns = "(starts, ends, show_id, record, rebroadcast, instance_id, file_id, time_filled,created, last_scheduled, modified_instance)";

to run
    • change the extension to php
    • make it executable
    • create a show in the calendar
    • now you can test manually php /path-toscript/auto_schedule_show.php but make sure
    •  put in a song and the show_instance id   so in line 79 replace the higlighted fields  $values = "('$starts', '$ends', $show_id, 0, 0, 13, 35, TIMESTAMP '$ends' - TIMESTAMP '$starts', '$now','$now', 'f')";  or  use argv or os.system to push automatically

where

13 is the show_instance id

35 is the file_id

$now is when created will be the time when you pus the script

I am integrating it now in my script

Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2017-01-18 13:32:55
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
  • Screen shots notes
    notice I have modified my reference to ven be able to chage the device card nummber and incude a number of features. tunein ,silence detection , TOH,etc.
    Yo can listen to voisses (caribbean experience) on tunein and see how these changes and metadata have been implemented.

PLEASE DO NOT READ ALL THE SCRIPTS I WROTE READ THE LATEST AND SEE IF IT APPLIES TO YOU, IF YOU NEED THE BASICS THEN FEEL GOOD TO GO BACK TO THE START

• Hey Chris,
      This is exactly the reason I've been working towards forking some code based on the airtime-saas (airtime.pro) codebase. It has the ability to assign a playlist to automatically be scheduled via airtime. The rotations code even is insufficient for anything other than filler because it lacks fine-grained controls. You can check out the link to my code here but I need to put some final effort into actually making it release-ready it's more of a developer release. If you end wanting to contribute there is also a bug tracker. I need to do some cleanup to the git commit log because as it stands right now all of the commits made prior to my fork were lost because I had to retrieve the saas-dev code via a zip file because the previous dev team cleaned up their git repo and deleted a bunch of branches including the saas-dev branch. So it's kind of a tricky situation to try to retain the work I did and the previous work on airtime but there will be one massive commit that lumps in all of the work they did thus losing the granularity of work that occurred by the SourceFabric team. I've reached out to their new dev team lead to see if they can share the git commits etc but haven't heard back from them.