Superdesk Beta install
  • Good day fellows,please i need a detail steps/help on how to install the just released beta version of Superdesk on an ubuntu box. i am a beginner techwise and the instruction on the site is not so clear to me. Please if you have succeed in the installations,help me out..Thanks in advance
  • 22 Comments sorted by
  • Please elaborate what exactly is not clear in current README.md instructions.
    I will try to update it accordingly.
    Innovations developer, Sourcefabric
  • thanks for your response..actually the installation instructions are not clear. please I will appreciate if you can itemised it,if possible attached screen shoots of the steps to make it more easier
  • What exactly is not clear in installation instructions?
    I don't think screenshots will be any more helpful since they will have the same text but just typed inside terminal emulator.

May be you should think about using a hosted solution. We can provide a free demo for evaluation.

• Looking over the last comment about how to install superdesk.  It's nice a beta release has been shipped. The instructions on how to get the package up and running is very shotty. I have spent the last several weeks trying to get the software installed on a digialocean docker instance running ubuntu and have even tried several services which offer GUIs to provision instances though microservices with docker, to no avail. I've  done all i can to get the system up and running.   Seems like all of the docker images in the repositories are broken.

I've followed the instructions in the README and all kinds flags and errors prevent the software from being installed on my local machine.  Maybe a better explanation with more details on how to get the package up and running. Are these details available ? 

• Hi Adam,

Thanks for your interest in Superdesk. Please provide more information on the issues you are facing. It is of our interest to improve the resources we make available to users. Certainly, the project is lacking better documentation and we are working on that.

What are those errors and flags you have seen when following the installation guide? Please provide information on the environment you are trying to get Superdesk installed (e.g. operating system, version, Python version, etc.). The more information you provide, the more we can support you. We appreciate your feedback, as this will help us on our mission to provide better resources to users.

Cheers,
  • Romero,

I've
    finally got the package to compile on a digital ocean instance running
    docker Ubuntu with docker compose installed.  I've followed the
    instructions and have invoked the script to create a new user.

Appears
    to me something is hanging somewhere.  I can get to this point with the
    login screen displays and then when the admin + admin credential are inputted.
    The server throws as flag. 

Thanks

• Please post a link to learn more about the hosted solution.  The directions as far as getting the software installed and working with docker are not clear. Docker is a new Technology with a intricate learning curve.  Base on my experiences with docker, the engineering and software lingo in the documentation is confusing when setting up the Sourceforge software.

Thanks
  • Hi Adam,

Thank you for your feedback. Certainly, we are on our way to provide more complete installation guides, this will go out together with a new version, but we will let users know even before, as soon as it is ready.

It would be great if you can share with us the error you get when the login fails, what exactly do you mean by "the server throws a flag"? Any error logs would help us to investigate. Thank you!

To get in touch to receive more info on services, please check out https://www.superdesk.org/en/site/about/11/Get-in-touch.htm

Best,

• I've sent email in response to a learning more about hosted solutions to propose to clients.  No one has respond. I'm growing impatient as clients are questioning me about my stance and i have to hold them at bay until there is a response from someone at source fabric. I've talked about superdesk to several deciders.

I've tried to get the system up an running to demonstrate to them and the system is packed in a way differently using new technology (containers) then traditional webserver stack.  I'd hate for  my client's organization to adopt another solution.
  • Hello everyone, I have been able to installed the superdesk beta . please I need a guide to setting up an email ingest feed using a third party(Gmail) email facility. Thanks to everyone on the Superdesk team for this wonder product
  • Hello everyone, I have been able to installed the superdesk beta . please I need a guide to setting up an email ingest feed using a third party(Gmail) email facility. Thanks to everyone on the Superdesk team for this wonder product
  • Hi Gabriel,

In the administration interface, click on the hamburger menu, look for Settings -> Ingest. Once there, click on the "Add new source" button.

You will be presented a form where you need to select:
    Feeding Service -> Email
    Feed Parser -> Email RFC822

Then scroll down the same form and you will see some fields to enter your mail server details.

Hope this helps!

Best,

• Hi Holman, pertaining the ingest feeds setting, is it the IMAP or SMTP (am using gmail) settings I should fill in? secondly what does the FILTER field mean? thanks
  • Hi Holman, pertaining the ingest feeds setting, is it the IMAP or SMTP (am using gmail) settings I should fill in? secondly what does the FILTER field mean? thanks
  • imap.gmail.com
    port 993
    MAILBOX=inbox
    FILTER=(UNSEEN)
  • hello, please what are the steps and configurations to follow in
    installing superdesk database on another host separate from the
    superdesk host? thanks
  • In `./docker/docker-compose-prebuilt.yml` you can remove the section with the according database (for example mongodb)

And next add mongo (or elastic or other) db environment variable in `./docker/docker-compose-prebuilt.yml` for superdesk itself and pubapi, see the list of them in common.yml ), for example if in common.yml it was `ELASTICSEARCH_URL=http://elastic:9200` add to docker-compose-prebuilt.yml environment `ELASTICSEARCH_URL=http://192.168.1.14:9200` and so on for other databases
  • Thanks..what are the username and password for each of the database?
  • It seems what at the moment it's not implemented, I will post an update here as soon as it will be merged to the master branch.
  • Sorry for misinforming, i did checked with a Superdesk developer and it came up what you can specify username and password for the database as part of its URI, for example:
    MONGO_URI=mongodb://user:pass@serverhostname/superdeskdb
  • help,i get this error when installing superdesk :
    sddemo_superdesk_1 exited with code 1
  • Could you please paste more logs?

Since that happened after you reconfigured database address the problem most probably related to inability to connect to one of the databases.
    Post edited by Yauhen Kirylau at 2016-05-16 04:32:52