Deleting user's in User Management
  • Hi,

I am wondering is there a simple way to delete multiple user's or any user's in User Management.

It does not seem to give me an option. I have ensured all privalages have been applied.

Only options are to clear sessions & disable in which the user still appears in the list?

Regards,

Conor
  • 8 Comments sorted by
  • Hi Conor,

Currently in Superdesk it is not possible to entirely remove a user. Instead, you can disable/deactivate a user. The main motivation for this is to avoid broken references in content. If a journalist has created/produced content in Superdesk, published a story, commented on someone else's stories, etc. we want to preserve the records for different reasons (e.g. story history, legal archive, etc.) which are important for newsrooms.

Maybe we could think of a few improvements:

- Make a better distinction between disabled and inactive accounts
    - Display by default in the list of users only active accounts
    - Provide filters to display disabled/inactive accounts

What do you think?

Thank you for your feedback,

• Hi
    Holman,

I understand your thinking behind this and it would be fine when we have
    created our own list of user's.

However currently there is about over 200 users in the list from the demo
    content data.

Is there any way to remove these? Possibly from somewhere in the code?

It is just a bit confusing when I am trying to build my own list of User's.

I think there definitely could be a few improvements on this aspect.

As you said a way of filtering between Active/Disabled users and not having
    them appear in the same list would be a good solution.

So when a user is disabled they are removed from this list and displayed
    somewhere else.

If there is a way to remove the demo content users please let me know.

Regards,

Conor

Post edited by Conor Cartin at 2016-04-27 05:02:13
  • Hi Conor,

I understand better the issue. Yes, the demo data we have shipped with beta1 is not ideal, and there is not an easy way to remove data other than affecting the database directly, but it is tricky and your database could easily become quite inconsistent.

We will put this high in the list for the next release. Stay tuned!

Thank you.

• Make this a +1 for a removal tool. 

If you could also provide a detailed explanation on how to properly remove them manually that would be very helpful as we're evaluating this internally at the Fourth Estate  as an alternative to another newsdesk product and having someone elses data is obviously not ideal,
  • +1 for
    - Make a better distinction between disabled and inactive accounts
    - Display by default in the list of users only active accounts
    - Provide filters to display disabled/inactive accounts

Normally, yahoo and facebook not remove user's account just disable and have restore process if user need to restore their accounts. Just disable and filter active account is the best solution.
  • Hi Connor, Jeff and Quang,

Just a short notice to let you know this improvement will be included as part of the next release. Released date yet to be decided. We will communicate on this promptly, over here and also via the Superdesk newsletter, for which you can subscribe at https://www.superdesk.org/ if you are interested.

Thank you for the good feedback!

• Hello? please how do I configure the authoring environment's PLACE,CATEGORY and SUBJECT to my own specifications ?
  • hi gabriel,

atm it's king of hard, but possible:

for place you should create a file like this one:
    within eg server/data folder and set in settings.py file this value

categories should be editable via ui - go to seetings/vocabularies and find there Categories

subjectcodes are atm hardcoded to iptc standard, we will make this also configurable in next releases.

petr