Question (rather than a Hack..)
  • Not sure If I'm posting in the right section as this is more of a question rather than a 'hack' but figured someone here might have a nice idea of how to make this work.

We're using a Pro airtime account, but will be broadcasting on terrestrial airwaves. Essentially, if the airtime service drops at any point (life happens) we're looking for a program to recognize that and tell a backup source to start playing into the transmitter.  Anyone have any ideas?

Roughly, It's looking like this..

Computer playing Airtime Stream -> Emergency Broadcast System -> Radio Transmitter.   looking for something to go between points 1 + 2, preferably on the same computer system that just recognizes dead air to no-connection. 

Any ideas for existing software before we start working on writing some sort of script to do this would be amazing.  Thanks!
  • 3 Comments sorted by
  • What Os enviroment you are in

Windows   use Pira CZ Silence Detector (recommended) or Liquidsoap

Linux       Use Liquidsoap (recommended) or Sox

these are self explanatory  for liquidsoap just look at one of my script on how to handle silence then you build a small function that could even email you upon silence detection

Let me know your progress
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.
  • Hi Voisses, 
    We're using OSX on a mac mini, just using the pro version of Airtime so trying to figure out a way for a third-party program to recognize theres nothing playing to start up (i realise this isn't really a airtime related question and has nothing to do with the airtime software itself, but hoping someone else may have had to use a similar setup).

Thanks!
  • Then There is not much option that I can think of or know of .

The  ideal situations are

Studio Layout

recommended

Mixer/Broadcast Console/Payout Function ==> DSP /Streamer/Transmitter_links/Other Accessories ==> Transmitter

Each function Are Seperate which means seperate  hardware  at each stage so you can put a software /hardware silencer or even an stl like barix at function 2

Now based on what is suggested by you is that you have a single computer doing all of  function 1 and some of Function 2.

Most time you find that on persons brodcasting mainly to the internet using like winamp type situation.

Some broadcast software have built in silence detection but in most of the cases these are expensive.

If you are using say virtual audio cable(VAC) to  connect funct 1 and 2 like itunes to nicecast then google is your buddy
    Post edited by Voisses Tech at 2015-10-17 05:01:03
    Anyone reading this a find it funny about my grammar , I make no apology ,Go get a translator.
    "The Problem with education today is that it takes a university degree to switch on a light bulb"
    "You learn from your mistakes but wise people learn from others mistakes avoid Making mistakes there is not sufficient rooms to make them"
    "Innuendo","If's","Assumptions" and "Fear" are for politician.Who,What,where,When and How are for those seeking knowledge and care about Humanity.
    "I might be in Mud but that does not Make me a Wild Hog(pig)"
    “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius — and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.”
    "The only thing that remains constant is change itself"
    May the force be with you,until our path or destiny bring us in tandem.